Battery life

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Even if you're not using cloud storage, all such apps and websites connect to online resources which need to be paid for, maintained and updated as the OS, browsers and system the app operates within become more sophisticated, and if they aren't, it's wasted money in a few years - and far before the end of the useful working life of the actual hardware, if they didn't require external data resources to function.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but i have been using ubiquiti for the last ten years as it is open software and you can still use there older access points just not with the latest software.

the cloud key is its own little computer/cloud that sits in my rack that runs the software tho you could use a pc if wanted.

you log in to the cc ip address so does not matter what browser it is ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What if TLS changes again? If such devices need WiFi (that doesn't stand still either), network, or an app or website, I am not at all interested.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is you wont find enterprise stuff like this that is still open source and have a dvr recorder next to me and not pay a monthley fee.

few years back they tried to change it so you had to log in to the cloud key via there servers and everyone went ape$hit and if they never changed it back id have dumped it all.

my old ap was 48v and that sucker left its mark on the wall paper lol :D

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm reluctantly about to sell my guitar modelling amp, because the app hasn't been updated in years and it's only a matter of time before it stops working - development and the backends always cost someone money or time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i used logic until apple bought it m audio midi sport wont work on win 10 and the first sound card i bought wont work on anything bar win 98.

the akai sampler still works tho :rolleyes: but even my bike is now obsolete so no new batts from bosch and there doing it to everything so force you to buy another car for 60k in 5-10 years as well we cant fix it because the software is to old and the new part cant pair with the os anymore.

just dont forget to end all the subscription charges for the electric seats video recording wing mirrors but wonder if you smashed one of those things off or did a front light in the car wont work as not safe to drive.

just buy a horse :cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They'll make lithium ion batteries in EVs illegal and force everyone to buy again with eco-friendly and safer sodium ion batteries, just you watch.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
the first sound card i bought wont work on anything bar win 98.
There are Windos 2000 drivers for that card, but you have to install 98 first, install the Windows 98 drivers, upgrade to 2000, then install the new drivers. But the software isn't as good - I still have one working on a PII 266...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
wont matter they will brick the bms so wont have any choice of repair bar buy a new one even if that means a hole new car as thats what they want unfixable expensive crap to track you 247.

and a subscription fee for all the extras that you paid for anyway of course.

and then one day this will happen. :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
but even my bike is now obsolete so no new batts from bosch and there doing it to everything so force you to buy another car for 60k in 5-10 years as well we cant fix it because the software is to old and the new part cant pair with the os anymore.
The electric mini is a retrofit using large prismatic cells, and a weird shape to fit where they've ripped out the transmission and fuel tank, other manufacturers use cylindrical cells in varying configurations etc. etc.- nothing is compatible... but it would be better for everyone's pockets if they were, for when new battery technology arrives.

wont matter they will brick the bms so wont have any choice of repair bar buy a new one even if that means a hole new car as thats what they want unfixable expensive crap to track you 247.

and a subscription fee for all the extras that you paid for anyway of course.

and then one day this will happen. :p
It doesn't even need to be that dramatic - hackers could simply turn off the air conditioning on a hot day when parked and lock the doors. Dead in several hours...

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
If 18650 cells in a pack from a reputable manufacturer arrive manufactured consistently, why doesn't it make sense to always do a balance charge, to use each cell in similar fashion and keep each cell performing as similarly as possible, rather than allow them to differ in voltage slightly when charged, leading to them discharging and ageing differently, by only charging partially as a habit, and only occasionally doing a balance charge? I could have probably asked that question better tbh.
Because charging to higher voltages such as 4.2V/cell or more accelerates Solid Electrolyte Interface (SEI) degradation and this significantly reduces cycle life...unfortunately, most BMS do not start balancing until 4.15V/cell or higher. Fortunately, most well designed packs with decent cells tend not to go out of balance very quickly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
When does your charger consume zero watts?
It depends on the charger/battery. One brand is <1w so shows 0, the other two are <2w.

...nothing is compatible... but it would be better for everyone's pockets if they were, for when new battery technology arrives.
I read there was a Chinese EV (car) maker at the Paris motor show this year using "blade" batteries... i.e. you slide old ones out and new ones in, rather like changing AA batteries in a torch.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Because charging to higher voltages such as 4.2V/cell or more accelerates Solid Electrolyte Interface (SEI) degradation and this significantly reduces cycle life...unfortunately, most BMS do not start balancing until 4.15V/cell or higher. Fortunately, most well designed packs with decent cells tend not to go out of balance very quickly.

View attachment 49672
Are there any BMSs which will do balance charges at lower given voltages? Seems to make sense to always do a balance charge, to keep battery life of individual cells as similar as possible, yes not at full voltage.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just say they made a 18650 size cell that could do 1 million charge cycles at full amps say 25A and 275000mah and could be made cheap out of sand and sea weed you would never see it as no money to made on mass production if it will last decades.

the antique car of the future will be last years model and dont forget these electric car motors have bearings in them that need to be serviced as well.

try finding the bearings for sale you wont as will have to be custom made and i bet you would need to order 10k of each one given the size if you can find anywhere that will make them for you.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Fortunately, most well designed packs with decent cells tend not to go out of balance very quickly.
Over a couple of thousand mixed partial and full balance charges, could the chemistry of individual cells in a pack become widely varied?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
just say they made a 18650 size cell that could do 1 million charge cycles at full amps say 25A and 275000mah and could be made cheap out of sand and sea weed you would never see it as no money to made on mass production if it will last decades.

the antique car of the future will be last years model and dont forget these electric car motors have bearings in them that need to be serviced as well.

View attachment 49681

try finding the bearings for sale you wont as will have to be custom made and i bet you would need to order 10k of each one given the size if you can find anywhere that will make them for you.
How much would Peter charge for frictionless synthetic sapphire bearings? :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with these batts and age and voltage it is the resentence you want to look at.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Over a couple of thousand mixed partial and full balance charges, could the chemistry of individual cells in a pack become widely varied?
I've not had problems after about 200 cycles or more of 41V charging with several of my 36V packs. The recommendation by Grin is to do a balance charge once every month or two. So only charge to 42V when you need max range or for occasional balancing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
with these batts and age and voltage it is the resentence you want to look at.

If they are always balance charged (to a lower voltage than maximum), the internal resistance would remain similar? If the cells were manufactured consistently.