battery meter

ade

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
hi all fairly new to electric bikes i have a question maybe for the experienced electric bike guys ,i have an electric bike but it does not have any battery level indicator and i need to have a rough ideal of the battery level i have seen a simple battery meter for sale on e-bay with a red/black wire connection can i just connect this directly to the battery between the switch or does it have to wire into the controller ?
would appreciate your help thanks in advance

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi ade, I'm new too but I think most of the techie guys are over on the Kalkhoff thread squabbling about amp hours. Most of the battery indicators just reflect battery voltage and are connected up to the controller. A watt meter is much better cause it measures the current as well and therefore the actual energy drawn from the battery. Dont think it matters which side of the controller its fitted so long as its in line(series) with the main circuit.

D

Deleted member 4366

hi all fairly new to electric bikes i have a question maybe for the experienced electric bike guys ,i have an electric bike but it does not have any battery level indicator and i need to have a rough ideal of the battery level i have seen a simple battery meter for sale on e-bay with a red/black wire connection can i just connect this directly to the battery between the switch or does it have to wire into the controller ?
would appreciate your help thanks in advance
I've done a lot of searching on Ebay and found this one, which I believe would do the job. I've ordered a couple for myself. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I'll have the definitive answer, but I'm confident enough to risk £14.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

You should be able to connect the two wires anywhere where you can get battery voltage, so the "+" can go to the controller/battery connection, directly to the battery, or to the wire in the throttle that powers the LEDs. The "-" wire can go anywhere you have 0v, i.e. battery, battery/controller connection, or the black wire that goes to the throttle.

This meter is a panel meter so you have to get a small box to mount it in because the back is open.

ade

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2011
ok guys thanks very much i have also purchased one of voltage meters which you have , i am told these are more accurate than the led light type once you understand the voltage levels for fully charged/empty etc