Battery problem

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
I have an Oxygen Emate City which is 4 months old and done 600miles with no problems. However today after doing 18 miles the power suddenly cut out........completely dead! No lights on the battery at all. I changed the fuses but there was no difference, still dead. When I put the battery on charge the green light comes on straight away. What is wrong?

For the record it's a 36v 15amp battery and in this hilly terrain I would normally expect to get 40 - 50 miles although normally I don't do more than 26 miles.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, you can try to see if there is still voltage on your battery.

C

Cyclezee

Hi DJH,

I imagine that you will probably do this anyway, but you need to contact the supplier as soon as possible as it could be a problem inside the battery which would be a warranty issue.

Like CWAH says, you could check the voltage with a volt or multimeter, but proceed with caution and be careful not to cause a short.

When checking, first test the input and then output side. If you get a reading on the input and nothing at the output, it could be that an internal fuse has blown.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Hi DJH,

I imagine that you will probably do this anyway, but you need to contact the supplier as soon as possible as it could be a problem inside the battery which would be a warranty issue.

Like CWAH says, you could check the voltage with a volt or multimeter, but proceed with caution and be careful not to cause a short.

When checking, first test the input and then output side. If you get a reading on the input and nothing at the output, it could be that an internal fuse has blown.
Thanks John, I sent Oxygen an email as soon as I knew I had a problem. As I said before the fuses seem ok and the voltage was measured on the output side.

D

Deleted member 4366

The BMS isn't switching on. Do you have a key switch somewhere or some other type of on/off switc? If it's wired to switch the BMS on like some are, then it coul;d be a faulty connection to it somewhere. If not. then probably faulty BMS which you need electronics knowledge to fix.

C

Cyclezee

I'm sure Oxygen will help you out with this DJH when they get your email.

It may be quicker to give them a call in the morning.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
The BMS isn't switching on. Do you have a key switch somewhere or some other type of on/off switc? If it's wired to switch the BMS on like some are, then it coul;d be a faulty connection to it somewhere. If not. then probably faulty BMS which you need electronics knowledge to fix.
Yes there is a key switch on the battery but I think I'll leave things until I've spoken to Oxygen as it's under warranty. Thanks for the info though as it's nice to have some idea as to what is possibly going on.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I also think you would need to open your pack to see if there is any wiring issue.

But as other mentioned, if you're still under warranty, it's probably preferable to ship it back.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
I'm sure Oxygen will help you out with this DJH when they get your email.

It may be quicker to give them a call in the morning.
Just to complete the saga (I hope).

I gave Andrew (Oxygen) a ring the next morning and after talking over the problem he agreed to change the battery when he got back from the Eurobike fair. A few days later I decided to pack the battery ready to send back but decided to give it one more go at charging....................and it did! Only took 2.75 hrs to charge up. After talking to Andrew we decided to see what happened when I ran it down completely. This I did after nearly 50 miles and everything seemed ok. Charged up again, this time taking 9 hrs, rode it again for another 52 miles and everything is fine, voltages normal. No idea what happened and Andrew equally baffled, but will just see how things go on for the time being.

Thanks everybody for your input, it's a great bike and it's good to have the support from Oxygen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think d8veh was probably right, the BMS not switching on. It may indicate a suspect internal connection so could crop up again, so report it to Oxygen immediately if it does.