battery range/charge times

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all have done 3 trips on my vita uno which I believe has a bog standard bottle battery.

very first trip 30 miles varied terrain 1 led remaining charge time 5 hours.
2nd trip tackled lots of hills 30 miles 1 led remaining but battery was exhausted, charge time 5 hours.

third trip 12.7 miles hilly mainly level 2 passist, returned a different route 4 miles downhill. then fairly level terrain, in total 29 miles , 3 lights remaining on handlebar led meter, recharge still took virtually 5 hours though?

I am trying to check roughly what range I can expect so not too get caught out, how accurate is the power remaining display.

I believe the battery needs to be charged about 5 times from new to retain maxim power?

are the lifepo4 bottle batteries interchangeable with the more basic ones ? I did not know there were diiferant types the life ones seem to have a shorter charging period.

thank you

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
If you have a lifepo4 battery then you can ignore the LED voltage indicator as it's virtually meaningless. Lifepo4 give almost full power until the moment they die so this is both good and bad.

It's good because you get full power for the whole discharge cycle....bad because you get little warning and then they just die!

Looking at what you managed I think 30 miles is very close to your max range with that size battery.

Reactions: jazper53

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got a Kudos Typhoon with a 10ah bottle battery. The range I'm getting is 30 ish miles. I've also got a Kudos Tourer with a 10ah lifep04 battery the range is usually 30 to 35 miles. The lifep04 battery does charge much quicker from flat. A good hour or so quicker.

30 miles isn't a bad range, I'm normally in power level 5 and live in a hilly area.

I ignore the LCD display battery gauge and I ignore the battery lights. Today on the Tourer I did just over 20 miles and all the lights on the battery were still green.

You'll soon learn the range of the battery and will trust the odometer more than the LCD or battery lights.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've never seen a LiFePO4 bottle battery!

The only way to keep track on how much attery you've used is to get a wattmeter, which will show how many amp-hours you've used. You can't rely on the LEDs

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all
it was on kudos site I saw reference to lifepo4 assumed it came in bottle battery form.
jimod, I have a more basic ebike vita uno than your typhoon which I believe has a more powerfull rear hub moter than my fun8?
mine has only 3 levels of assist, and fairly hilly where I live.
mine has no odometer so I purchased wired cycle computer from class ohlson which is excellent as it has distance reset function,so I can keep track of miles covered.
no room for wattmeter on my overcluttered handlebars, will ignore leds and try not to exceed 30 miles on a trip