Battery 'seasoning'?

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
I've read conflicting information on Lithium ion battery care. From charge and discharge battery completely 3 times from new for peak performance to don't let your battery run completely flat or it will reduce it's life span.

What do you guys do to maintain yours?

Thanks

• Dislike
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've read conflicting information on Lithium ion battery care. From charge and discharge battery completely 3 times from new for peak performance to don't let your battery run completely flat or it will reduce it's life span.

What do you guys do to maintain yours?

Thanks
I personally don't worry about it, I just ride then recharge. Most electric bike batteries contain a BMS, so no worries about overcharging or discharging to damaging levels.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The charge and discharge X times mainly relates to setting the battery meter zero on a very few batteries with intelligent meters. It doesn't do anything for battery life.

Ideally avoid completely emptying when that's not necessary, since they like being topped up, but don't worry on the occasions when you do need to empty the battery on a ride.

Basically just use and enjoy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When on a ride I ride until the lvc cuts in then, use the next one. Lvc is above 3.3v per cell for my batteries. Once back at home they will have recovered to about 3.5v per cell so not to bad. Full battery testing is carried out to 2.8v to get the full ah capacity available.
Li on chemistry is a little different to Lipo where cells dive down quickly below 3.5v. if you are only using the battery for short journeys of a few miles you can get away with charging every 2 or 3 journeys.
Some people only ride a bike a couple times a year then complain about battery issues so I say use it abuse it and get good use out of it and your monies worth.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

Cephalotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2017
Germany
Avoid heat. The hotter the quicker the degradation.

Avoid storing your battery fully charged for long periods (especially when it is hot). This is ore a problem with LMN and LFP, less so with NCA cells, so depends on the type of battery.

Avoid deep cycles if possible. (usually you can not really deep cycle an OEM ebike battery, the BMS will not allow that)

Do not (quick) charge a cold (below 0°C) Li-Ion battery. This will not only degrade the battery but can become a security threat if lithium dendrites grow inside the battery.

That's most of it.