Battery Show - cheaper batteries?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Quote:

The big news from battery makers at the recent Battery Show in Novi, Mich., was that lithium-ion battery costs are declining and are likely to hit half today's prices by 2020. Oh, and 200 miles/charge cars made headlines as GM and Tesla said they both want to build an EV hitting that level which can sell for below $40k. Here are a few other scenes of developments displayed at the show.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quote:

The big news from battery makers at the recent Battery Show in Novi, Mich., was that lithium-ion battery costs are declining and are likely to hit half today's prices by 2020.
In 2008 exactly the same forecast was made for two to three years time and one well known supplier even experimentally halved his price in expectation. In fact they soon doubled in price, £250 batteries hitting over £500, and he quickly had to reverse that decision.

As ever where batteries are concerned, any announcement needs to be treated with extreme caution.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
In 2008 exactly the same forecast was made for two to three years time and one well known supplier even experimentally halved his price in expectation. In fact they soon doubled in price, £250 batteries hitting over £500, and he quickly had to reverse that decision.

As ever where batteries are concerned, any announcement needs to be treated with extreme caution.
The actual cost of producing the cells might halve but I believe it only contributes a small percentage of the final global street price the consumer is faced with so their conclusions may not be quiet as significant as the industry manufacturers hope for.

All the more reason to try to buy direct even given the increase in current restrictions.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
The actual cost of producing the cells might halve but I believe it only contributes a small percentage of the final global street price the consumer is faced with so their conclusions may not be quiet as significant as the industry manufacturers hope for.

All the more reason to try to buy direct even given the increase in current restrictions.
Sorry for being off topic. I have sent you a pm, have you received it?
Thanks
Pat