Battery with built in controller.

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Part of the plans for my new build is using a down tube battery with a controller integrated into the base for a cleaner look.
My current setup is 48v 14.5A with a separate 17amp controller. I would like to at least match these specs if possible and be KT type controller for the LCD-8 colour display.
Does this battery /controller exist and any suppliers? Not finding it in my eBay search!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
BMSBattery sell batteries with integrated controllers and so do Topbikekit. They bother sell the controllers separately to fit in your existing battery, though BMSB range is limited.

You have to understand the drawbacks. These controllers have moulded connectors, so testing and fault finding isn't easy, and secondly, the moulded connectors make it tricky to adjust the wire lengths, so you end up with a birds nest of cable to hide somehow.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The testing side for wiring if ever needed can be sorted by adapting a 2nd motor wire cable to temporary place in the cable line. More of a faff to make one up but perfectly doable .

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
Thanks for that. I like the idea that it can replace the holder on your current battery.
On the new build I do not want a throttle or brake cut-offs as not missed them on the last 1000 miles.
The only outputs I need then are motor, display, and pas. Trying to keep cables to a minimum.
I like the hailong battery type and the one listed for this battery lists max of 15amp. My current controller is 17A. Will I notice a difference?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would these go together?
Battery with built in controller and motor!
Is the price ok?
Yes.

You've selected the 1 to 2 cable. Personally, I'd go for the 1 to 4 with a throttle. A throttle is very useful, and contrary to what a lot of people think, it is completely legal if you set it to non-zero start in the LCD. If you ever have an emergency that prevents you from pedalling, it only takes a few seconds to set it to zero start in the LCD. With a motor like that, you'll be riding around on level 1 a lot. the throttle gives instant full-power when you need it without having to fiddle with lots of button pushes on the control panel. That can be very important when in traffic, especially at roundabouts. It's also useful for short steep hills.

Zero start means completely independent operation.
Non-zero start means that it only operates while you're pedalling.

Reactions: keith zelecs

keith zelecs

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2023
HI we spoke before , I have a integrated battery build to the bike but decided to put a second 10ah or a little bit bigger battery to pair them up but not sure how i would connect the battery with the controller in to a pairing enhancer, but should be ok for second battery with no controller built in. Plus it is a lot cheaper than buying a other controller battery which are a lot more expensive.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
HI we spoke before , I have a integrated battery build to the bike but decided to put a second 10ah or a little bit bigger battery to pair them up but not sure how i would connect the battery with the controller in to a pairing enhancer, but should be ok for second battery with no controller built in. Plus it is a lot cheaper than buying a other controller battery which are a lot more expensive.
The procedure is the same for any battery:
  • Cut the two battery wires;
  • Solder on extensions;
  • Run out the extensions to a convenient point;
  • Solder on your preferred connector - always female on live side;
  • Solder the same connector to your replacement battery;
  • Connect whichever battery you want.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
what with no battery enhancer in the middle,
What's a battery enhancer? I've been involved with ebikes for a long time, and never heard of one. Do you mean isolator switch? If so, you don't need to waste your money. It's more work to fit one, more expensive, less safe and not as quick to just put connectors on the wires. KISS!