BBS motor with Gates belt...

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
...has any one done this?
I'm hankering after some shiny new metal as a bit of a treat for my upcoming birthday and have spotted a new belt drive bike with hub gears, It looks like the bike uses a concentric bottom bracket to tension the belt and I'm wondering if it would be possible to at least get a Bafang mid drive in and the belt tight?
Obviously I would then need to sort out a way of mounting a Gates pulley to a Bafang spindle, and sort out the drive line.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
No, but...

If you search images of eccentric bottom brackets there are various types, some of which accept a standard bottom bracket. If your target bike is like that, then there is a chance, however slim!

Remember that BBS01 relies on clamping force onto the BB to hold it in place. That might be the obstacle.

A bespoke eccentric insert might be a technical answer, but I think there is a high chance that it is not worth the bother.

A belt bike that uses a different method of tensioning is probably a better bet.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
If you look at the pic below with the RED arrow, this shows the gap between the Bafang motor body and the 'bottom bracket' axle - this dimension will be the limiting factor and it is very unlikely to be enough to allow fitting into an eccentric bottom bracket (EBB, 2nd pic). The TSDZ2's construction is similar to the BBSxx in this respect as well.

There may of course be other mid drive kit motors that could work which I'd be very interested to know about as I'd like one for my IGH fitted tandem.

As you can see from the EBB below, with the 'axle hole' in anything other than the very lowest point of adjustment, the distance to allow fitting of the motor increases, to say nothing of the EBB securing arrangement (two screws in the pic) getting in the way of the motor too.

Reactions: Brik

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
You could use the Veer belt system this is designed for horizontal dropouts. If you are mechanical minded you use probably adapt a chain tensioner to keep the belt in tension. The advantage of their system is it will work with standard frames
Here's one from AliExpress I have not looked into how this one works.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here's one from AliExpress I have not looked into how this one works.
That one can't work with a standard frame. You'd have to cut a gap in the seatstay to get the belt on, then find some sort of clamping joiner to hold the two parts together again. If you look closely at their photo, you can see such an arrangement on the OEM installation.

The only way to get a belt on a standard frame would be either to cut a gap in it or use a belt that has a join in it, though I don't think I'd trust a joining belt.

Here's one way to do it, but don't forget that you need a perfectly straight chainline for a belt.

Last edited:

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
Thanks for the replies, I've had a think and have decided to fit a 3 speed Sturmy Archer hub to my existing bike instead, see if that can quell the desire I have for New Stuff.
I purchased a new hub already built into a 700c wheel a few months ago but when I came to fit it I realised the axle was too short for my bikes 135 m.m. drop outs, I see you can get longer axles so will strip down the Sturmy hub and fit one.

...the bike uses a concentric bottom bracket..
Eccentric, much like myself.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
Which BBS motor? Could be wrong, but I fear a Bafang HD would munch through a 3 speed Sturmy Archer hub. Perhaps a 36V BBS01B could too at 20A=720W?
I don't have a HD but the one I do have has a function whereby you can limit the amount of power being delivered so hopefully t'will be fine.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Thanks for the replies, I've had a think and have decided to fit a 3 speed Sturmy Archer hub to my existing bike instead, see if that can quell the desire I have for New Stuff.
I purchased a new hub already built into a 700c wheel a few months ago but when I came to fit it I realised the axle was too short for my bikes 135 m.m. drop outs, I see you can get longer axles so will strip down the Sturmy hub and fit one.

Eccentric, much like myself.
I'd be interested to find out how the SA hub would stand up to the power of a 250 watt crank motor. I had one on a counterfeit Brompton I had about 15 years ago. I rode that set up 4000 miles before I retired it, but it only had to deal with my own power output, and being a 16 inch wheel, I imagine the torque force on the hub gears were lower than a large wheel. I mean by that that the wheel would move through a number of degrees of rotation with lower force than a bigger one. I like those hubs. I had mine apart every now and then to re-grease it, and then fitted it with an oiling nipple and added a few drops now and then. I'd say that old hub has loads of life left in it, but it is lying at the back of the garage now.

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I'd be interested to find out how the SA hub would stand up to the power of a 250 watt crank motor.
I'm just back from an initial test ride after fitting the 3 speed and all seems good so far, there was a bit of a noise which I've just identified as the link in the single speed chain passing through the tensioner, but other than that I'm happy with the conversion from 7 speed derailleur.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Because I don't trust waterproof claims made about anything, I covered the speed sensor connector with self-amalgamating rubber tape. Also the other connectors, some with 4:1 self-adhesive marine heatshrink in addition. My speed sensor has survived complete submersion for 13 seconds, as well as a lot of heavy rain.

There have been Bafang speed sensor problems reported on the forum, caused by water ingress over the past couple of years.

Last edited: