bbs01 programming changes not implementing

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have a 350w 20 amps bbs01b.controller from 2018,firmware V2.2.1.1 Since getting a 850c display a cpl weeks ago which shows AMPS, Ive been playing around with changing settings.

What im seeing in practice tho makes no sense.Its as if the controller has hard coded parameters.Whatever i do to customise the programming ,despite showing the changes as written the controller takes no notice.

I recently asked for advice on settings for a cpl of PAS levels for high torque when at a low speed off road.peter.c & nealh both suggested a combination of 100% current with low rpm speed is better for this. whilst 100% rpm speed with medium to 100% current is better for lower torque flatter terrain cruising.

So keep current 100%. PAS 5 levels . A cpl of examples PAS1 current 100% speed 40%. PAS5 current 100% speed 100%.

on hill PAS1 despite 100% current,never exceeded10-12 AMPS or showed high torque. Changing to PAS5 flew uphill pulling 18-20AMPS with far higher torque despite speed at lower torque producing 100%. On rough farm tracks PAS1 setting still made the bikes speed/cadence too fast .The PAS5 tho to fast was still superior in pulling power giving nearly twice the AMPS. Both tho are 100% current.
Another example on PAS3 65%current 100% speed i often see 16amps on inclines when it shouldnt go higher than 13. There seems to be little point to setting specific current levels.Testing by changing between the PAS 3,4,5 65,80,100% current in different applications shows little variation. i can be on flattish terrain on PAS 5 getting 7-8 amps and then change to PAS3 and its 6-7 amps. likewise on PAS 5 the current can drop to a single AMP on flat terrain at high speed tho the keep current is 100% (not an issue great economy just saying). Changing the start current and slow start mode doesnt seem to make any difference either.Also the throttle acts economically the same as PAS.i cant get it to hold full AMPS like my 2016 controller did and bbshd controller does. Only a few safe settings seem to be changeable.

Ive come to the conclusion to stop warranty returns and economy it must be working to some hard coded stock settings.Only allowing minor 'safe parameter' changes.something along the lines of karls special sauce/Em3ve. this is what ive basically reverted to.having a PAS1 with low current is the only way on bumpy farm tracks. Has anyone else found the latest firmware controllers behave differently to older ones?

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I have a 350w 20 amps bbs01b.controller from 2018,firmware V2.2.1.1 Since getting a 850c display a cpl weeks ago which shows AMPS, Ive been playing around with changing settings.

What im seeing in practice tho makes no sense.Its as if the controller has hard coded parameters.Whatever i do to customise the programming ,despite showing the changes as written the controller takes no notice.

I recently asked for advice on settings for a cpl of PAS levels for high torque when at a low speed off road.peter.c & nealh both suggested a combination of 100% current with low rpm speed is better for this. whilst 100% rpm speed with medium to 100% current is better for lower torque flatter terrain cruising.

So keep current 100%. PAS 5 levels . A cpl of examples PAS1 current 100% speed 40%. PAS5 current 100% speed 100%.

on hill PAS1 despite 100% current,never exceeded10-12 AMPS or showed high torque. Changing to PAS5 flew uphill pulling 18-20AMPS with far higher torque despite speed at lower torque producing 100%. On rough farm tracks PAS1 setting still made the bikes speed/cadence too fast .The PAS5 tho to fast was still superior in pulling power giving nearly twice the AMPS. Both tho are 100% current.
Another example on PAS3 65%current 100% speed i often see 16amps on inclines when it shouldnt go higher than 13. There seems to be little point to setting specific current levels.Testing by changing between the PAS 3,4,5 65,80,100% current in different applications shows little variation. i can be on flattish terrain on PAS 5 getting 7-8 amps and then change to PAS3 and its 6-7 amps. likewise on PAS 5 the current can drop to a single AMP on flat terrain at high speed tho the keep current is 100% (not an issue great economy just saying). Changing the start current and slow start mode doesnt seem to make any difference either.Also the throttle acts economically the same as PAS.i cant get it to hold full AMPS like my 2016 controller did and bbshd controller does. Only a few safe settings seem to be changeable.

Ive come to the conclusion to stop warranty returns and economy it must be working to some hard coded stock settings.Only allowing minor 'safe parameter' changes.something along the lines of karls special sauce/Em3ve. this is what ive basically reverted to.having a PAS1 with low current is the only way on bumpy farm tracks. Has anyone else found the latest firmware controllers behave differently to older ones?
i know it was a haul to read but i tried to get in all relevent data .seriously not a dicky of an opinion from anyone? maybe its time to move it to ES....

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Mmmm, yes hard read :p

Seriously though, I don't think Bafang would change the hard coding dramatically. Some settings cannot be changed above a certain level, such as the PAS 'start current %', which will max out at 50%.

IIRC, I have my PAS 1 set at 10% speed and 100% current, which when coupled with my lowest gear, will allow me to crawl at very low speed with plenty of torque. Even on a very steep hill though, once the motor is spinning fast, the amps drop, as it will only draw as many amps as it needs. I rarely see it drawing max amps on PAS 1, usually only when starting on a steep hill, then it will settle down. It still pulls me up that hill like a beast.

Maybe you are being a bit too paranoid at looking at the amps on the display.

Any chance of you posting a piccy of your settings?

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Mmmm, yes hard read :p

Seriously though, I don't think Bafang would change the hard coding dramatically. Some settings cannot be changed above a certain level, such as the PAS 'start current %', which will max out at 50%.

IIRC, I have my PAS 1 set at 10% speed and 100% current, which when coupled with my lowest gear, will allow me to crawl at very low speed with plenty of torque. Even on a very steep hill though, once the motor is spinning fast, the amps drop, as it will only draw as many amps as it needs. I rarely see it drawing max amps on PAS 1, usually only when starting on a steep hill, then it will settle down. It still pulls me up that hill like a beast.

Maybe you are being a bit too paranoid at looking at the amps on the display.

Any chance of you posting a piccy of your settings?
yes will do tomoro. Im happy with the bikes performance. Just dont seem to see any performance improvements from making changes,even dramatic ones, from a basic set up.

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Try setting the display in analogue watts mode I found this reacts quicker:eek: or my old brain takes more in :confused:on the specialized camber pulls full power right up to the mph cut off point set to 30mph and pulls up to 1100watts on a full 48v battery from a standing start:D but with no speed cut out and the display set to 50mph the watts are a lot lower at near max speed could it be back emf from the motor is not actual speed but motor rpm that affect delivery

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Try setting the display in analogue watts mode I found this reacts quicker:eek: or my old brain takes more in :confused:on the specialized camber pulls full power right up to the mph cut off point set to 30mph and pulls up to 1100watts on a full 48v battery from a standing start:D but with no speed cut out and the display set to 50mph the watts are a lot lower at near max speed could it be back emf from the motor is not actual speed but motor rpm that affect delivery
Hi peter,Im one of those people that like to know HOW things work rather than just be content that they do. Ive tried watts its the same. Im just on a mission to understand programming better and learn whether this FIRMWARE is such that most tinkering just doesnt work.

Im happy with the bikes performance,was just trying to see if any improvements could be made. It shows its pulling max current accelerating/hill climbing. Current drops without any loss of performance on flatter ground,up to speed,lowering gears,peddling harder etc...as i guess its supposed to.

I believe 'keep current 'works differently on this firmware controller V2.2.1.1. It will only let you ever see the MAX current when KC set to 100% and of course max PAS level. It will still lower the current as per circumstances mentioned above. If KC set to a lower value you will never get max current under any circumstance.So maybe KEEP is the wrong chinese translation for this setting .It works differently on my bbshd. It stays at near 100% in max PAS even tho KC is 60% and only drops when peddle cadence is raised. THAT is how i understood KC setting to perform .(As ive mentioned in other threads).

Mainly I was interested in trying different settings on the PAS current/speed. I wanted a slow mph speed setting with high torque.i found today the bike does what i want best on 'stock' settings. IE, on PAS 2 . It was better on 60% current/60% speed than trying 100% current/35% speed.That caused it to fly away too fast when trying to peddle slowly one handed drinking a beer.I didnt find the 35% motor speed kept the bikes mph speed down or gave better torque, the higher current made the bike too fast.

I also found in the PAS levels the current MAX and bike MPH were accurately reflected using stock settings. Setting the upper PAS levels all to 100% rpm speed seemed to make the current on all levels similar.With noticably less reduction of bike mph with lowering assistance levels.

I guess most people just ride em and dont look to closely into this subject.fig1.JPGfig2.JPGfig3.JPG fairly standard settings for current/speed in PAS but seem to work betterfor me than other settings.i use 5 levels so 1,3,5,7,9'stop delay' less than 10 caused awful PAS start up delay.

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My 350 watt is set much the same except for higher% speeds on a few and lower on others
bafang have changed the goal posts on the firmware several versions even with similar numbers and they will just not write any thing that might cause self destruct
out of interest I found that the 750watt worked well out of the box needed only minor tweaks but that is probably aimed at the US a major market for bafang without the need to restrict to many settings
enjoy the rides the suns just come out here:D

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
My 350 watt is set much the same except for higher% speeds on a few and lower on others
bafang have changed the goal posts on the firmware several versions even with similar numbers and they will just not write any thing that might cause self destruct
out of interest I found that the 750watt worked well out of the box needed only minor tweaks but that is probably aimed at the US a major market for bafang without the need to restrict to many settings
enjoy the rides the suns just come out here:D
Yes i believe now its the firmware thats making seeming higher performance changes even safe ones, not actually write. My original 2016 controller worked great 'out of the box' the 2018 replacement was dire left as was.