BBS02 nylon gear

philatkinsmusic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2015
Looking if anyone can help.
My motor started making a grinding noise then lost drive.
The motor still turns so I'm assuming it's the nylon gear inside that has gone does anyone know where I can get one ordered asap?
I will strip the motor tonight to double check but if anyone could get back to me soon it would be a great help.
Many thanks
Phil

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Awol beat me to it also GBK do the iron gear as well and also a few other parts so a good source for BBS rerubishment.

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks.
Yes I think it will be that.
I can't see the metal one breaking before the nylon one.
I was hoping someone in the UK would have them as the 3 day postage bumps the cost up a bit.
Ì think maybe get a few of them then if it goes again I'm not stuck without transport.
Thanks again for your help.

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
Also once it's all working again. Can anyone recommend a very strong/heavy duty freewheel cluster 7 speed 13 tooth to 32 please? 11 tooth if they are possible but the highest I have seen is 13 tooth.
I need a heavy duty one as my 40 mile commute at high speed along with me pedaling too is just chewing up the normal amazon and ebay freewheels. It's only the top 2 gears that start slipping after a week usually.
Many thanks.
Phil

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
And Cycleezee I believe.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I tried a DNP one and it didnt last long at all.

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
It was the iron gear not the nylon one in the end. 16 dollars and 40 dollars postage lol.should be here weds.
Not keen on this train malarkey 80 quid for 5 days.

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
As for the freewheel I need a super heavy duty one.
Standard ones are lasting between 7 and 10 days before the teeth look as good as a jeremy kyle guests.

Reactions: London Pie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks.
Yes I think it will be that.
I can't see the metal one breaking before the nylon one.
I was hoping someone in the UK would have them as the 3 day postage bumps the cost up a bit.
Ì think maybe get a few of them then if it goes again I'm not stuck without transport.
Thanks again for your help.
Good job you didn't say you will eat your hat if it was the iron one, other wise a new hat would have been on order as well:p.

Reactions: philatkinsmusic

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
Got the gear and all was good for 70 miles and now controller had gone again.
I'm. Fed up of my bafang motor.
It seems too fragile for day to day use.
Has anyone ever tried.the eclipse bikes motors?
They have a 1600w motor and a 1200w motor both fr 48v.
The idea of just using a chain directly onto the chain ring semi a good idea and less areas of weakness like the bafang gearbox.
I have a 30ah 48v high discharge battery from bms will this be adequate for either of the eclipse motors?
Only I have noticed that jumping past 1000w seems that most companies move up to 72v or 96v
Ang feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Got the gear and all was good for 70 miles and now controller had gone again.
I'm. Fed up of my bafang motor.
It seems too fragile for day to day use.
Don't give up on it yet. I've given my BBS02 a good workout for the past 1500 miles and the chain, cassette and Bafang unit are still holding up well.
I also slightly modded my controller software a few hundred miles ago, to keep the torque from dropping so low once moving.

What symptoms have you got now and what makes you think it's a controller issue?
Sometimes it can be something simple like the brake cut-offs or throttle not working properly, giving a false impression of a faulty controller.

With the battery switched off, carefully disconnect the two brake cut-off plugs and the throttle plug, power up, then give it another go. Preferably on a workstand. You don't want the thing to kick into life on the road, without the brake cut-offs connected.

Believe me, you don't want to fit a Cyclone, unless you want everyone in the neighbourhood to hear you coming a mile away :eek:

Last edited:

philatkinsmusic

Oct 5, 2015
Don't give up on it yet. I've given my BBS02 a good workout for the past 1500 miles and the chain, cassette and Bafang unit are still holding up well.
I also slightly modded my controller software a few hundred miles ago, to keep the torque from dropping so low once moving.

What symptoms have you got now and what makes you think it's a controller issue?
Sometimes it can be something simple like the brake cut-offs or throttle not working properly, giving a false impression of a faulty controller.

With the battery switched off, carefully disconnect the two brake cut-off plugs and the throttle plug, power up, then give it another go. Preferably on a workstand. You don't want the thing to kick into life on the road, without the brake cut-offs connected.

Believe me, you don't want to fit a Cyclone, unless you want everyone in the neighbourhood to hear you coming a mile away :eek:
I'm thinking it's the controller as the lcd is working fine with no faults.
I don't have brake cutoff attached.
It's unresponsive on either throttle or pedal assistance.
This is the same as what it did last time.
The only reason I can think this happened was the large gear on the freewheel has slightly chewed teeth so I filed the so my iron gear would fit back in. It was a little noisy to start with but quietened down quick enough.
I don't know what to do now.

Are the eclipse motors really that loud?
I don't mind a little noise but not keen on it sounding like a hoover.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Yes they are that loud!
Ha ha nice find Geebee.

Yeah, and don't have the battery pack hanging out over the rear wheel.

The torque in the lower gears will throw you off the back, as the idiot in the video kindly demonstrates lol

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't have brake cutoff attached.
It's unresponsive on either throttle or pedal assistance.
This is the same as what it did last time.
The reason for fitting brake cut-offs is not only for safety. There will be occasions where the motor is still pulling hard, but you are stopping that rotational force with the brakes. Brake cut-offs prevent this situation from occurring.
With hydraulic brakes especially, due to the immense stopping power, you may have been causing the controller to overheat on braking.
Could have blown a FET or two doing this.

It's only a theory though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geebee

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The reason for fitting brake cut-offs is not only for safety. There will be occasions where the motor is still pulling hard, but you are stopping that rotational force with the brakes. Brake cut-offs prevent this situation from occurring.
With hydraulic brakes especially, due to the immense stopping power, you may have been causing the controller to overheat on braking.
Could have blown a FET or two doing this.

It's only a theory though.
Sounds like a pretty good theory, could well explain a blown controller.
I rode my trike once without brake cut-offs and realized that the motor was still trying to run when I was braking, being a recumbent trike the braking ability is massive as it is on both front wheels, and the motor is still trying to spin the rear wheel making the effect very noticeable.
I fitted a brake cut-off before riding it again.