Be gentle with me...

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Err...

I think I belong here?

Just bought an e MTB bike as just fancied one. Used to dabble on and off with XC trails for the last 20 odd years, my latest steed (non electric) was a Lapierre Zesty - still got it and a perfectly good bike. However, lots of contract work away meant that I was now the whipping boy in the pack of us regulars, and the fun / mojo assisted the spiral down and out of the scene. Pity really as I loved haunting the Beast or Tarw at Coed Y Brenin, Cannock or Llandegla. Anyway, with age also comes the benefit of injuries that refuse to heal or rear their ugly head from exuberance and overuse when the mind over ruled the body 20 years ago....Couple that with more disposable income (the benefit of age) and after bleating to the rest of the group earlier his year that I will ride my own trails instead of trying to keep up, or hire an e-bike from the centre at coed Y Brenin (snarf snarf). Cue lots of **** taking, "meet us at the top of the hill Duracell, press your buttons and go away..." - however, it was a game changer and a fun day was had by all.

I could keep up.

They didn't get annoyed at having to wait for me.

I didn't get annoyed with myself for not being able to do what I could easily 2 years previous.

They all wanted a go on it though and came back a few minutes later with a big grin - so much so for hardened XC rats....

So, I am now the proud owner of a Haibike (after doing lots of research went for that make, despite being tempted by the Lapierre as my Zesty has been a good steed). Picked it up the other week, took the wife and mutts round the fire trails of Cannock - she loved being able to make me look like an idiot on the hills (I only rode it for a couple of hundred yards round the car park to check everything, she rode it the rest of the time). I rode my Lapierre and it was nice being able to cover some distance with her - something that she could never do beforehand. I currently have my hand in a cast so we stayed on the fire tracks and took it easy, but I know when I meet up with the lads again it will be like the old days and the banter will commence.

Still grinning like a school kid with a new toy. All the toys in the toy box have 2 wheels with or without motors - this bridges the gap.

First impressions:- Very smooth, easy to ride. Awesome brakes.

Hope to see some of you reprobates on some trails in the Midlands, if you'll allow an old timer like me the chance to keep up...

2016-07-25 11.56.46.jpg

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
Hey there,

Nice looking bike you've got yourself there :) I've only just started my e-bike adventure, with something a little more modest, but like you, does put a smile on my face.

Enjoy being able to get back out on the trails with the lads and I hope your hand gets better soon.

Reactions: LeighPing

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
Hey there,

Nice looking bike you've got yourself there :) I've only just started my e-bike adventure, with something a little more modest, but like you, does put a smile on my face.

Enjoy being able to get back out on the trails with the lads and I hope your hand gets better soon.
Thanks - they certainly are a game changer. I've always believed it doesn't matter what you ride, but how you ride.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Why be gentle, beast the bike.

• Agree

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
Why be gentle, beast the bike.
Oh it will get used - this is me on the Trek Powerfly from Coed Y Brenin, hired for the afternoon and what got me hooked. Not much of a video, was meant to show more the difference between uphill effort rather than balls out downhill stuff - but that will come later in the year / early next year when hand is better.

Within 100yds of leaving the trail centre from under the forks, I was giggling like an idiot and shouting at the other two to have a go on it and give it a try - such a difference. even gave them uplifts by towing them on the climbs so they were quite happy for me to join them on an electric bike...:D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id get them stock rotors off of it and get some decent floating ones as dh they get hot fast and i warped mine in 1 day up forest as was getting way to hot and eating the disc pads as well, lot better with my 203mm hope front and rear now.

id also remove the chain guide above the ses wheel as all it does is strip the chain of lube and cover it in crud, if the chain was to come off it would snap it in half anyway tbh.

here 1 of my vids loads more on page

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
id get them stock rotors off of it and get some decent floating ones as dh they get hot fast and i warped mine in 1 day up forest as was getting way to hot and eating the disc pads as well, lot better with my 203mm hope front and rear now.

id also remove the chain guide above the ses wheel as all it does is strip the chain of lube and cover it in crud, if the chain was to come off it would snap it in half anyway tbh.

here 1 of my vids loads more on page
OK, thanks for the advice - I'll have a look more when I get a chance to ride it properly. :)

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just make sure there all tight as will come loose.

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
since i put lock tight on them with ties they have not moved a mm tbh :) just best to check them all now and then if riding hard like any bike tbh.