Beautiful Bank Holiday!

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
The law that says Bank Holidays must be wet was ignored here and we had a beautiful day yesterday. The headwind coming back home (west) along Stanegate did convince me that the conventional wisdom to do the Hadrian's Wall Route from west to east is sound, though! A bit of assistance into a 15mph headwind along extremely exposed road was more than welcome.

Who had nice weather and managed a ride out of some description? Any pics?

Attachments

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
No pics I'm afraid but, once grand-daughter had gone home, I did venture out on a gentle evening jaunt around local lanes to Dumbleton and back.
Two valuable discoveries: One was a very ridable bridlepath to make up a loop. The second was how little traffic was about at that time on a BH. Even the harvest trafffic was light. A very nice end to a good day.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It must have been a great ride around that area. My eldest daughter got married at Dumbleton hall. It's lovely around there. :)

Horse-Carraige-Dumbleton.jpg

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
That sounds lovely Brynric and it's always great to find a circular route. Sadly the bridle paths round here are a bit too bumpy and rutted for me to stay upright on (ask me how I know :rolleyes:) but if you can find ridable ones it's great to be away from the possibility of traffic.

Your daughter didn't opt for the dog pulling the sled then, LeighPing?

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Beautiful weather here. I had a day in the Cotswolds and rode through the ford at Upper Slaughter far too many times (not on e-Bike); yesterday I completed a circular ride around 4 castles (Grosmont, Skenfrith, Pembridge and Goodrich) and today am heading off in the opposite direction.

P1670752.JPG

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
No pics but surprised myself with a 36km ride. Lovely weather.

Battery still had 2 out of 4 bars left.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
That looks like fun kangooroo!
Definitely, and enjoyed by 3 couples while a minibus load of po-faced Japanese tourists watched in some scorn as I rode back and to, back and to, rather more times than was sensible and appropriate for my age!

Another lovely day on the e-bike: this time a 36 mile ride out to Raglan Castle near Abergavenny following single-track country lanes and having them (almost) all to myself. Perfect.

Reactions: Angelnorth

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Although I live very close to the Forest of Dean and have followed a few trails there, I don't think my bikes would cope with those trails. Perhaps I should just stick with rolling through my 'water splash' instead!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can hire a bosch cube fs for half a day for 50 quid from the bike hire place :)

you might find some bits a bit steep tho you just cant tell in the vid how steep some parts are.

• Informative
Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Good idea, and maybe one day. I have to cycle over the Doward to get there - and this is steep in places but even my folder has somehow carried me up Yat Rock!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
going up is the easy bit going down is the hard part.
no idea how he crashed on this bit pmsl.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
going up is the easy bit going down is the hard part.
no idea how he crashed on this bit pmsl.

I used to live right on the edge of the Forest of Dean, in Bream, as a really young child.

My mother has since passed away and my father can't remember exactly where the cottage was (we were only there a year and a half). I've spent a while before scanning the satellite maps, but can't figure it out.

• Informative

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
There seem to be quite a lot of falls and bumps in the Forest! As I'm currently already nursing two broken bones, I've suddenly decided to wait a few months before hiring a bike and having a go myself - but I will!

Re Bream: It's not a part of the Forest I've visited often but, other than some small newbuild estates, I doubt it's changed too much over the years. I hope you're able to recall the location of your home. Perhaps if you ever head this way, some local landmarks may refresh your memory.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is a house on 1 bit but we dont go past it its around 3mins in and round the other way, doubt you could see it on a map tho as trees all round it.