BEBA present ebikes to Parliament

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
BEBA’s E-Bike Day Causes a stir

An unusual sight greeted visitors to the House of Lords on Tuesday 10th May, as ‘The Bicycle Library’ Red London Bus and dozens of electric bikes turned out for BEBA’s (British Electric Bicycle Association) Parliamentary E-bike Day hosted by Lord Laird.

The purpose of the day was to promote the many advantages of electric bikes to MPs, Ministers and those in influential positions who may otherwise never experience an electric bike and may never realise the potential health benefits, congestion busting and financial savings of owning one.

The format of the day included presentations from electric bicycle Champions, City of London Police, Karta Healy of The Bicycle Library, Laurence Boon from Cyclescheme as well as cycling authorities such as Patrick Lingwood from The Department for Transport. BEBA members including industry retailers and manufacturers also attended.

Following the seminar, attendees were invited into Black Rod’s Garden where there was an opportunity to visit the Bicycle Library and try out a number of electric bikes being exhibited.

“We were really delighted with the turn out and the response was excellent. You never really understand what an electric bike is all out until you ride one, it’s only then you see what we call the ‘electric smile’. The day helped to realise the benefits of electric bikes for the audience and will certainly be a memorable day for the electric bike industry”.

David Miall, Chairman, BEBA
For further information on BEBA, please visit www.beba-online.co.uk

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
So... a good response then did you think David ?
Any interesting promises made that could benefit us all.....like grants from the government to buy a new bike
or even finance new batteries ? :) :)

Sounds an interesting day....wish I could have been there.
Well done to you all for the hard work.

Best wishes
Lynda

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
i think at the moment awareness is key. Its not exactly main stream at the moment. The fact i'm quite young and enjoying the up sides of electric biking is great but anyone i speak to about it or at work are just simply not aware they even exist. As did i untill i moved to the city an by accident on a google search find information. As well as this forum.

Cycling in the uk is just not as popular as so many of our european cousin's. I recently spent time in paris for work and opted to use the euro star to get there from london and whilst i was there i hired one of there public bikes to get about on. The public transport there is fantastic but with dedicated cycle paths and bikes being popular it was great compared to birmingham.

I hope ebike's, cars and other vehicles make it on the seen fast. An i'm sure in my life time its inevitable it will happen and then i can say i had an electric bike before they where popular!

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Great news David - what's the next stage??

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Was a great day and thanks to the team for organising. Also to Karta for bringing the awesome Bicycle Library, worth a visit by anyone!!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Well done David,any event which brings electric biking to wider public appeal is to be applauded,however don't make it look too much fun otherwise the government will want to tax it!!!!!!!!!!
What is your next show nice to meet up,Presteigne was good fun
Dave Elderfield
KudosCycles

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks everyone for your support.

I had very little to do with organising the event, Sue from Batribike, BEBA's event co ordinator, Victoria Sowter BEBA's policy guru, Sabine Raabe Biscuit PR and others did all the hard work, I simply turned up!

110510_BEBA_Simon_Burns_BATRIBIKE.jpg
Sue Coulson with Simon Burns MP, Minister of State at The Department of Health

As Scotty pointed out at the moment we are simply making the "powers that be" aware of electric bikes and how they are already benefiting the UK. How with a little help the EPAC phenomena that us sweeping Germany and Holland could happen here. We concentrated on the advantages of EPACs such as decongesting and cleaning up our cities and health.

Press release 2

MPs, Civil Servants and transport professionals displayed ‘electric smiles’ this week as they learned how electric bikes can flatten hills, save on bills and provide a no sweat solution to daily travel needs.

Invited speaker Sgt. Antony Wolfson from the City of London Police extolled the virtues of cycling saying that his cycling squad is often the first on a crime scene, adding that having the power from an electric bike can really help. Being out on a bike and not sealed away in a police car gives the force greater opportunities for getting to know their community.

Speakers at the event included Patrick Lingwood of the Department for Transport and Ralph Smyth of the Campaign to protect Rural England. Speakers told delegates about the 27% overall increase in cycling and how electric bikes could really help in rural areas since local authorities have axed some services, with a trial bring launched in Hampshire. At the event a wide range of electric bikes were available for trial.

Sue Coulson, events co-ordinator for BEBA, explained “The electric bike industry has really moved a pace in recent years with sexier styling, weight reductions and vast improvements in battery technology. There’s something now for everybody’s needs”.

As President of BEBA, Lord Laird said “I care deeply about these bikes. I can see their potential in meeting both personal travel needs and the wider Government objectives of making society greener, healthier and economically strong.”

Yannick Read of the Environmental Transport Association expressed the opinion that the Government should support all forms of electric transport, not just the car, a sentiment shared by BEBA. Members of the Cycle to Work Alliance, also in attendance, continue to press for an increase in the credit limit to £1500 from £1000 a move which would certainly support the electric bicycle industry

From a personal viewpoint it was great to see BEBA really stepping up to the mark and making a difference, it has been a long and tough road to get BEBA on the map but the efforts of all involved are finally paying off. HOWEVER we need more members to help take the industry forward! Any importer, manufacturer or retailer who would like to become involved and and agrees with our (rather tough) terms regarding customer service etc would be most welcome to apply, simply drop an email to Ralph Coulson from Batribike (BEBA membership secretary) Ralph.Coulson@Batribike.com, he will send you an application form.

All the best

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
About BEBA:

The British Electric Bicycle Association was formed by some of the leading electric cycle manufacturers and distributors in the UK to provide membership services for manufacturers, distributors and dealers.

BEBA’s Mission: ‘To create a climate of opinion at all levels that is favorable to EPACs of all types’.

BEBA is an industry association to promote the use of Electric Assisted Bicycles.

Efforts will be focussed on educating consumers about the benefits of electric bicycles, giving them an ‘industry stamp’ of accreditation and recognition. BEBA are also to inject confidence into the market to help manufacturers secure retail outlets and ultimately increase sales.

To ensure consistency in the level of service and quality of product provided to consumers and dealers, BEBA will create an industry standard for both product service / training delivery. BEBA will form affiliations and partnerships with relevant trade organisation’s and lobbying groups where their aims and objectives overlap.

All members work together as a unified voice to challenge restrictive legislative changes, to drive positive regulatory and law changes and to campaign for an increase in the C2W (Cycle to Work) scheme. BEBA seeks to collate, monitor and provide definitive market data on EPACs to become the authoritative source of reliable, consistent and independently vetted UK market data.

As a self-regulatory trade body, BEBA Members subscribe to an industry code of practice. BEBA has four core values:

1.Develop and grow the EAB market
2.Education and positive promotion of e-cycling
3.Lobbying and public affairs for its members
4.Fair business practice and consumer protection

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
[QUOTE
From a personal viewpoint it was great to see BEBA really stepping up to the mark and making a difference, it has been a long and tough road to get BEBA on the map but the efforts of all involved are finally paying off. HOWEVER we need more members to help take the industry forward! Any importer, manufacturer or retailer who would like to become involved and and agrees with our (rather tough) terms regarding customer service etc would be most welcome to apply, simply drop an email to Ralph Coulson from Batribike (BEBA membership secretary) Ralph.Coulson@Batribike.com, he will send you an application form.

All the best

David[/QUOTE]

David, while I understand your comment, is there not a danger that in inviting everyone in the business to join BEBA, you run the risk of seeing the organisation become discredited if some of these new firms go bust, perhaps leaving customers out of pocket?

Obviously, I'm not aware if such a system already exists but perhaps some kind of financial bond system for members, creating a fund from which disappointed or defrauded customers could be recompensed might sort out the honest dealers from the shysters? With the burgeoning number of ebike sellers around the country, not all of whom will survive, I think some form of regulation stronger than, (rather tough) terms, could well provide the peace of mind potential customers desire.

I believe such a system would suit the major players rather than the small, "doing it all out of a lock-up" merchants but it would certainly provide BEBA with a large measure of respect and credibility, something I think is essential if they are to be taken seriously by those with power and influence in the future.

Could there be some advantage in such a scheme.....or are you already there?

Regards,
Indalo

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
[QUOTE

All the best

David

David, while I understand your comment, is there not a danger that in inviting everyone in the business to join BEBA, you run the risk of seeing the organisation become discredited if some of these new firms go bust, perhaps leaving customers out of pocket?

Obviously, I'm not aware if such a system already exists but perhaps some kind of financial bond system for members, creating a fund from which disappointed or defrauded customers could be recompensed might sort out the honest dealers from the shysters? With the burgeoning number of ebike sellers around the country, not all of whom will survive, I think some form of regulation stronger than, (rather tough) terms, could well provide the peace of mind potential customers desire.

I believe such a system would suit the major players rather than the small, "doing it all out of a lock-up" merchants but it would certainly provide BEBA with a large measure of respect and credibility, something I think is essential if they are to be taken seriously by those with power and influence in the future.

Could there be some advantage in such a scheme.....or are you already there?

Regards,
Indalo[/QUOTE]

Very good point Indalo

Lynda

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Lynda and Indalo,

We are aware of the possible difficulties and we do have a very solid and strict code of practice published on our web pages.

Key Members must agree to and be able to demonstrate that they:

1.Only make sales through dealers / retailers or directly to the end user through flagship stores and not exclusively online

2. Manufacture or have the UK exclusive agency to a brand of electric bicycle

3. Have an after sales support program available to all dealers

4. Hold a full spare parts inventory to enable on-going support for product in the market

5. Not manufacture / distribute electric bikes that the BEBA board determine to be replicas

6. Only market models that meet the current legal requirements

7. Offer full technical training to retail outlets

8. Provide retailers with marketing materials

9. Provide retailers with manuals for all bikes

10. Provide full service literature

11. Offer an effective complaints procedure to the end user

BEBA Retail members may use the BEBA Retailer logo and will be listed on the BEBA web site as BEBA approved retailers. Retail members should:

1. Stock at least one brand of electric bike from a Key member of BEBA

2. Be technically capable and have the facilities to maintain any electric bicycle they retail

3. Hold or have immediate access to a full spare parts inventory to enable on-going support for product in the market

4. Commit to having at least one BEBA Key members electric bike in store for demo at all times

5. Not retail electric bikes that the BEBA board determine to be replicas

6. Agree to PDI all electric bikes

7. Be prepared to co operate with BEBA in resolving any customer dispute bought to the attention of the BEBA board

I think as long as members can demonstrate thy are complying with the above that is all we can ask for. Unfortunately business do go bust for all kinds of reasons and as an association it would be difficult to insure against such a loss, maybe when we are bigger.

Best regards

David