BEBA Survey

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
It does not really cover DIY bikes which a lot of us here do, but I am guessing we are in the minority anyway.

I filled it out as best I could using generic responses.

Regards

Jerry

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
It does not really cover DIY bikes which a lot of us here do, but I am guessing we are in the minority anyway.

I filled it out as best I could using generic responses.

Regards

Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Thanks I appreciate it.

Initially this is targeted towards those with built bikes as thats the basis the legislation is being reviewed under. Ultimately though this will be the same for kit bikes.

Thanks
Mark

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
The use of throttle question is a difficult one for me I have a powabyke shopper, it does not go without use of the throttle. So I use it all the time but I am in the pedal assist mode. In the case of the older powabykes the question is a bit ambiguous.

From the manual

If you choose Pedal Assist mode the motor (by use of the throttle) will
assist you only while the pedals are rotating. The throttle controls the
power output from the motor. The motor will cut out at the pre-set limit
of 15mph. The rider can pedal the bike at any time whilst them motor is
in operation using the gears as appropriate.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
The use of throttle question is a difficult one for me I have a powabyke shopper, it does not go without use of the throttle. So I use it all the time but I am in the pedal assist mode. In the case of the older powabykes the question is a bit ambiguous.

From the manual

If you choose Pedal Assist mode the motor (by use of the throttle) will
assist you only while the pedals are rotating. The throttle controls the
power output from the motor. The motor will cut out at the pre-set limit
of 15mph. The rider can pedal the bike at any time whilst them motor is
in operation using the gears as appropriate.
It's exactly the same on my eZee Sprint.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks to all that have entered so far, we are up to almost 80 responses to far

Many thanks
Mark

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi all!
We are up to 90 replies now. Could really do with about 150 for a fair sample. If you can pass around the link it would be much appreciated

Thanks
Mark

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
More than 250 people have now responded with a majority choosing a throttle facility on their bike. We will publish results again in November. If anyone has not completed the survey please would you do so as soon as possible.

Click on the link below to complete the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B5XFRYD

All the best and thanks!

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Tom! Mark from Hero Eco and I have a meeting with the DfT in a couple of weeks under the BEBA banner. We are trying against stiff competition to persuade them to allow the UK electric bike industry to continue offering the choice of having a throttle to electric bike users in the UK and need as much amo as possible.

All the best

David

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Tom! Mark from Hero Eco and I have a meeting with the DfT in a couple of weeks under the BEBA banner. We are trying against stiff competition to persuade them to allow the UK electric bike industry to continue offering the choice of having a throttle to electric bike users in the UK and need as much amo as possible.

All the best

David
Hi David,

Who is the stiff competition, or did you mean to write opposition?

Regards,

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
David/Mark.
I looked to enter the survey but found as a seller it was difficult to make it apply.
Out of interest what legislation are you lobbying towards that you would like to retain the use of a throttle? From a commercial viewpoint I am finding that to satisfy the market I am including throttles on all my new models.
Countries such as Holland and Germany are already signed up to EN15194 but I remember you saying that Wisper bikes sold well in Europe because of the throttle facility so why do we need to worry-if you can sell throttles into Europe with the current EC legislation if our government finally gets its act together on EN 15194 surely we will be in the same situation.
Who is your opposition against throttles?
Dave
Kudoscycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
has been discussed many a time, moped/scooter and motorbike lobby all against e bikes with throttles as their perception is, it cuts into their market share.......An incredibly selfish and short sighted position.

lets hope the powers that be are more enlightened!