Becoming a Serial E-Bike Owner - A Confession

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Hello I'm Mark and I'm a cycloholic and now appear to be a ebikeoholic I put some of the blame on you lot.

Bikes have been an addiction of mine for last 18 years since I went on holiday to Skipton and took my £99 Apollo All Terrain Bike (as they marketed it at the time). The bike was horrendous as expected, but the mountain biking, wow, I was a one hit addict.

I was late into cycling, at the relatively old age of 31. I used to love bikes as a kid, but ditched them in favour of a powered 2 wheeler as a 16 year old and then into 4 wheels from then on. I'm still a total petrol head, but that's a different story.

I've built and modified numerous mountain bikes over the years and commuted occasionally when I could, but working in construction has limited this due to the location of the sites I've in which I've been involved. Having changed role 3 years ago and now spend 2 or 3 days in the office, which is only 12 miles from home (there is a shorter direct route, but this has very busy roads), I toyed with the idea of cycling for ages, put off by lack of showers and a very heavy bag I need to carry in and home when I'm not in the office 2 days in a row.

I then saw an GTech advert and bought one in March this year. I love singlespeeds and commuted for about a year on one, so and I liked the idea, plus it sounded great as it had a belt drive.

IMG_20170422_171538 by fatwomble, on Flickr

The bike was actually very good, but like most addicts, it wasn't enough, I fancied building my own and bought the cheapest kit from Panda who had an offer, so £380 with the battery.

I already had a spare mountain bike, so I put the kit on my Stooge Frame

The idea was that I would use it more off road than on.

IMG_20170423_101414 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Soon however, I found that I preferred this bike to the GTech (saved 5 to 10 minutes on my commute) and have been commuting on it since May, ditching the knobblies and adding a rack and a better front mudguard.

I bought a second battery for longer rides.

Now I have lots of bike spares in the bike shed, enough to build another bike, with a few additional purchases, so I again found myself buying another kit, this time an elifeshop one which was good value (assuming it lasts). I have a spare battery holder, so I can swap batteries between bikes, but which frame to use?

In the end I went for my old On-One Inbred 29er singlespeed, to which I fitted a mech hanger. Other than the cassette and chain, I only needed a set of hydraulic brakes to add to the parts I already had. I found a bargain set for £65 (only Clarkes, but they feel fine).

Finished it yesterday evening, final fettling and test run today.

IMG_20171202_154149 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Clearly I'm not in the same class as D8veh, but with this forum to feed my addiction, I can see more bike builds in the future.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ahh the addictive personality, you poor sap !:eek::D

I too got hooked after buying the misses a Giant so she could, 'Keep up with me on rides'. Soon found out that I was getting left red faced in her dust. So I bought an Ezee kit and put on her old hybrid for me to use. Wow! Now she couldn't keep up with me again, so we ditched the Giant in favour of a Big Bear. Not such a nice bike but way more capable. So, longer rides led to me suffering wrist and neck jolts (West Wales roads ain't the best). So I just HAD to have a new Crossfire 3 to put the Ezee on. Now I'd got the conversion bug and reconverted the old hybrid with a Panda Eco kit. I justified this by saying,'It's for when our daughter or your sister comes to stay'. It worked!

Now I'm trying to ease round to the biggy. I want to convert one of these:
http://anjo.pt/nextstopwhere.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/velo2-1024x588.jpg
The plan is for a Q128 with a big battery from Bga, so I can go out all day and not get neck ache. Problem is the bike alone is over £2500 new. How do I get this past the planning committee? I'm drip feeding the justifications in day by day.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Gaz and fatwomble

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Ahh the addictive personality, you poor sap !:eek::D

Now I'm trying to ease round to the biggy. I want to convert one of these:
http://anjo.pt/nextstopwhere.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/velo2-1024x588.jpg
The plan is for a Q128 with a big battery from Bga, so I can go out all day and not get neck ache. Problem is the bike alone is over £2500 new. How do I get this past the planning committee? I'm drip feeding the justifications in day by day.:rolleyes:
I must admit I always fancied the idea of a recumbent, if only for the never owned one them before, reason :)

I look forward to seeing a post about about it's conversion as soon as you've bought it ;)

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello I'm Mark and I'm a cycloholic and now appear to be a ebikeoholic
Well done Mark [stands up and applauds] and all good wishes for your continued recovery :D

I myself have only two bikes, but it's easy to understand how the addiction can set in for the unwary. I get the impression D8veh is a lost cause, and clearly we must all spare a thought for him, but equally learn, and be better cyclists from the misfortune of others.

Gaz

• :D
Reactions: fatwomble

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hello I'm Mark and I'm a cycloholic and now appear to be a ebikeoholic I put some of the blame on you lot.

Bikes have been an addiction of mine for last 18 years since I went on holiday to Skipton and took my £99 Apollo All Terrain Bike (as they marketed it at the time). The bike was horrendous as expected, but the mountain biking, wow, I was a one hit addict.

I was late into cycling, at the relatively old age of 31. I used to love bikes as a kid, but ditched them in favour of a powered 2 wheeler as a 16 year old and then into 4 wheels from then on. I'm still a total petrol head, but that's a different story.

I've built and modified numerous mountain bikes over the years and commuted occasionally when I could, but working in construction has limited this due to the location of the sites I've in which I've been involved. Having changed role 3 years ago and now spend 2 or 3 days in the office, which is only 12 miles from home (there is a shorter direct route, but this has very busy roads), I toyed with the idea of cycling for ages, put off by lack of showers and a very heavy bag I need to carry in and home when I'm not in the office 2 days in a row.

I then saw an GTech advert and bought one in March this year. I love singlespeeds and commuted for about a year on one, so and I liked the idea, plus it sounded great as it had a belt drive.

IMG_20170422_171538 by fatwomble, on Flickr

The bike was actually very good, but like most addicts, it wasn't enough, I fancied building my own and bought the cheapest kit from Panda who had an offer, so £380 with the battery.

I already had a spare mountain bike, so I put the kit on my Stooge Frame

The idea was that I would use it more off road than on.

IMG_20170423_101414 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Soon however, I found that I preferred this bike to the GTech (saved 5 to 10 minutes on my commute) and have been commuting on it since May, ditching the knobblies and adding a rack and a better front mudguard.

I bought a second battery for longer rides.

Now I have lots of bike spares in the bike shed, enough to build another bike, with a few additional purchases, so I again found myself buying another kit, this time an elifeshop one which was good value (assuming it lasts). I have a spare battery holder, so I can swap batteries between bikes, but which frame to use?

In the end I went for my old On-One Inbred 29er singlespeed, to which I fitted a mech hanger. Other than the cassette and chain, I only needed a set of hydraulic brakes to add to the parts I already had. I found a bargain set for £65 (only Clarkes, but they feel fine).

Finished it yesterday evening, final fettling and test run today.

IMG_20171202_154149 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Clearly I'm not in the same class as D8veh, but with this forum to feed my addiction, I can see more bike builds in the future.
N+1

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reached three e-bikes for while but managed to reduce to two and eventually years later to one.

Now I'm undergoing cold turkey with no e-bike at all, but not as bad as it sounds since the cold and wet weather helps to deter thoughts of resuming the addiction at present.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
They just stopped producing the inbreds, great frames

I ran a Pompetamine conversion for ages till it died

And I have those mary bars on all three of my bikes ! They are the business