Been on a few test rides this is what I think.

dayglowfroggy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2011
Been on a few test rides now and here is my brief summery in the order that I tried them.

I had never ridden an electric bike before but have lots of experiance of normal bikes however I am 6ft 3" so mountain bike postions make my back and wrists hurt after a while.

Powercyle windsor suprised how much it actually pulled and has adjustable front stem but no lights and extra bits ,small frame feel obviously a budget bike in comparison to the others but if it was sprayed a better colour it would not be that far from the rest.

Whispa 905 city s smooth powerfull very bad ridding position to much like a mountain bike hunched forward no good when you are 6f3" though it was sugested that a different sort of handlebar could be fitted small frame feel.

Raleigh dover felt totally different not as imediate power,this was the only one I took out for a longer ride as it was hard to judge on a small run around have to say I was not that impressed but it was the closest to a normal bike and would get me fit but did not seem worth the money .

Smarta GT not as smooth as the wispa 905 but almost the same in every other way execpt it came with an adjustable handle bar stem so would be more comfortable without modification but still had the small frame feel.

Metro a to b amazing power and boost button was fun but very heavy and did not seem like much of a bike don't think it would get you fit owning one of these to tempting to use power.Did not feel like a small bike felt like a motorbike.not very practicle for paniers etc.

Whispa 706 this was very powerfull ,comfortable seemed better than the raleigh in every way had a big safe feel about it ,can't think of anything bad to report.

Izip urban I was amazed it was light nimble fast and sporty feeling, only tried it for comparison stakes but it sudenly threw up another dimension only bad things were no mud guards or rack as standard but it had non of the small frame feel of most of the bikes and was very light.

Overall the last three are my favorites and probably in that order to with the Ato B then the 706 (though I would want the 906 ) then the izip .

Now it just a case of convincing my wife it would be a good idea and passing the finance criteria then if I go Ato B remembering to pedal to get fit or if its the 906 remembering it costs almost as much as the Ato B but is a bit more practicle and if I end up with the izip it would need mudguards stright away and probably have no resale value but could travel much better and be stored away better so more potential in those areas.

This is just report on haw the bikes felt to ride and not a coment on the individual quality of componants etc .

So it's fun factor AtoB , practicality 906 or different factor izip urban.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
A bit confused...You mention trying then wisper 905 and later the 705 ( we have both great bikes) But then in last few paragraphs you start talking about the wisper 906? Have you tried a 906 Alpino? As these are ideal for the taller rider? I think at 6.3 the 905/705 is the wrong bike entirely.......

EDIT: I guess you meant the 706 Alpino then...You should try a 906 Alpino as well (its a man thing!lol)

Oh...I got this all wrong, will leave as is anyway lol

Last edited:

dayglowfroggy

Mar 11, 2011
It was the 706 i rode but that is just the step through version of the 906 I think .
I would have liked it if I had fitted some of the small frame bikes as if I have to stay at the cheap end of the market it looks like that is what I would have to go with anyway .
I thought the kalkoff bikes are almost the same as the raliegh but in any case I am limited to bikes that shops with decent finance deals sell so thats probably e-bikes direct as my local shop "the electric bike shop" only does a half down then half over 12 months deal.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
You can make a lot of difference to the comfort by changing things like the stem and bars. I am over 6ft 2in and ride a size L Specialized Epic mountain bike (rather than the XL which would be better for comfort but a smaller frame is lighter and stiffer/stronger) but was a bit low at the front with some wrist pain so I got an Oval adjustable stem 140mm (710 or something like that) and some 2" riser bars and now it is great. I am now getting some NC-17 trekking bars with 4.5 inches of rise - oohh errr missus.
So what I'm really saying is that you can make almost any bike fit you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was a bit confused at first by you saying A to B. That's an environmentally inclined cycling magazine, the bike is an A2B. :)

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd point out that the Panasonic system needs more than a short test ride to get the best from it.

It is certainly not the most attractive system on first try but I doubt there are many users who would change from it once they've used it for a while.

What I like is the instant acceleration away from lights - in 3rd gear I can step off fast enough to get across most junctions and establish my road position before the cars do, thus depriving them of the opportunity to run me into the kerb.

Secondly, with 10kg of camera equipment in my back pack and tripod on the rear rack, the Kalkhoff will climb any hill I meet with alacrity and minimum effort on my part.

I'm not necessarily advocating the system, just saying don't dismiss it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dayglowfroggy, as you have tried the 706Alpino and liked it, you should also try the 906Alpino, just as powerful as the 706 but a lot more nimble due to the more rigid frame.

Where did you test ride the 706?

All the best

David

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I thought the kalkoff bikes are almost the same as the raliegh but in any case I am limited to bikes that shops with decent finance deals sell so thats probably e-bikes direct as my local shop "the electric bike shop" only does a half down then half over 12 months deal.
Hello, all our bikes (Kalkhoff, Oxygen, Freego) are all available to buy on finance - we have 12 month Buy Now Pay Later and 10-month 0% interest packages. Free delivery as well.

0% Finance on Selected Electric Bikes | 50cycles

dayglowfroggy

Mar 11, 2011
Thanks for the heads up at 50 cycles but I am still under the impression that a kaklhof is the german version of a raliegh and as such did not have the imiediate wow factor of the hub bikes ,
Before I rode any of the bikes just from my reaserch I had convinved myself that crank drive would suite me better it was only on the day that I found the dover well built but not worth loads more than a £1000 bike it simply didn't have that far better moneys worth feel that the a2b and the 706(906) did and based on that i would not want to mess about with kalhoff bikes that are the same thing .
I want to improve my fitness and can see that crank drive is the best way of doing that but unless they start pricing at the same level as the hubs for most people they will not get a look in.

What I would need is a two day test ride on a hub and then a crank to really feel the difference .That would be possible with the electric bike shop but I would still not find their finance aceptable and at £50 a time it would be a large way towards a bike deposit anyway.

New developments after a talk with my wife have lead to new demands from an electric bike .

She is coming around to the fact that I want one as a serious mode of transprort and would replace my van but to do this from a personal point of view it would need to be modified to take my fishing barrow in the form of a trailer and i will probably need to get a trailer and tow bar for my wifes car or budget van hire two or three times a year into the mix.

My current van is a toyota hi ace 2.4 that does 26 -28 mpg in its partially loaded state with a false floor and paneling built in ,removed it should get to 30-35 mpg not bad for a van of that size I only ever drive at 60mph max and only do about 110-120 miles per week costing around £30 .

It only costs about £500 a year to keep excluding fuel so would probably be woth keeping so long as i did not use it much (very old technoligy and relitivly cheap parts thats why I bought it).

With the total comitment angle it would push me in the direction of the a2b maybe with the second battery from new though I am unsure if that would lead to greater battery life overall .

Accessorys for the a2b are a bit disturbing as well and the only one worth considering for a sane person is the £35 rear rack it would then be cheaper to have sadle bags custome made than pay the stupid amounts quoted .

This is not a good signe for the future i know the batterys are expensive and there is not allot to be done about that but I don't like the idea of a company that just wants to take the p**S out of you its not good .

Whispa are a uk brand name of a china made bike far cheaper in other parts of the world but they make up for this with great customer service and a obviouis desire to improve the brand through looking after the customers I met a very happy whispa owner at the cambridge shop who advised i should buy one and if in doubt get the wife one as well .

It seems to me in conlclusion that I would dearly like to buy my bike from the electric bike shop as they are obviously a great shop who know what they are talking about and provide a good service and point of contact .
When on my test rides i asked about the 10year battery guarentee in detail to try and catch them out as most of these sort of scheames are just a way of the dealer making money from expensive seriviicing but I was told that the £40 charge twice a year basicly alows for around 1 hours work so if that includes new brake discks or a cable for instance then there would be no more labour charged but obviously a charge for the parts .This seams reasonable enough and i can't complain, I am yet to find out how they will treat bikes purchased from another source they are not stupid and must know they are a bit over the odds compared to the online sellers however the local thing would be worth the extra £100 easy.
Though I am not worried about working on bikes myslf having rebuilt motorbikes engines and restored cars although electrics have never been my strongest point .

dayglowfroggy

Mar 11, 2011
Excuse me if I am wrong but isn't the oxygen just the whispa 905 painted white with a better battery for a lower price, so from my point of view it comes with touring bike style but all the dissadvantages of a mountain bike like the 905 ie small frame and low handle bars .
Still looks like a great bike though just got the wrong handle bars for an experianced cyclist .

Now if oxygen did a 906 with the realistic frame size and on good finance i would be interested not worth me traveling fror a test ride on another small frame bike though.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi DayGlow

A quick point about the Oxygen, they are a good bike but have nothing to do with Wisper. Despite the similar looks most of the components are different including the battery and they are made in different factories. I understand your confusion they do look similar which I think was intentional and is rather flattering.... they are a sort of homage to the Wisper brand! After a very friendly and constructive meeting last year I would like to say that there is no friction between the Wisper and Oxygen directors.

I am sure the guys at 50 cycles wont mind me saying but both Raleigh and Kalkhoff bikes (again fine products) are built in same factory in Germany namely Derby Cycles. They are similar bikes and I am not sure of the differences but if you call Tim he would be in a position to tell you what they are.

Regarding the electric Transport shop and their 10 year warranty on selected bikes. The directors came to us to discuss the detail and whether we would be happy for Wisper to be included. I can totally vouch for them, they are clever and honourable guys who will not let you down. And as you say there is nothing like buying locally for peace of mind!

All the best

David

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Raleigh don't have anything like the Pro Connect Disc in the UK, and that feels very different to the Dover (which is the equivalent of the Kalkhoff Agattu). Not sure Raleigh have either the 18Ah battery or 1:2 assistance yet either. Kalkhoff has always been Derby Cycle's flagship brand, the first to see the best of their new equipment and developments.

Traditional bike shops are often hopeless when it comes to demonstrating electric bikes - we had a couple of customers who'd been to a major bike chain selling Gocycle and were not told that you have to press the red button for anything to happen, so were less than impressed by its assistance. There wasn't any.

Bikealot

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2010
Wow factor

The Kalkhoff Image 27 seems to me to have the 'wow' factor. See 50cycles web site. This is a Bionx and may suit your needs.

dayglowfroggy

Mar 11, 2011
I have taken all the previous comments into consideration and have spent allot of time looking into the kalkoff range as well as talking to tim at 50 cycles and decided that one would proberbly be the right way for me to go but I would have to go the 0% pay in 12 months and work out a budget to save in case my house sale does not happen in time .

The other option would be to get a bike from e bikes direct either over a longer payment term or just a cheaper bike altogether .

My main problem is that at 6ft3" I am far to big for most bikes out there and certainly for the cheaper ones however I have recently wandered about the whispa 805 as this might fit me though it is not my normal style of bike .

Whatever I get would need to have a realistic minimum of 20 miles range though I would expect to be assisting it alot.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the 906 Alpino gets a really good review in this months " Electric bike" mag...Ideal for the taller rider, plenty of power, plenty of range AND a throttle for when you are knackered!:D Its this or the Kalkhoff I guess?

You can read it on line as well and they have a Kalkhoff under test as well!:

Electric Bike Magazine: the independent guide to power assisted cycling

Last edited:

EddieK

Hi Dayglowfroggy,

Thank you for your kind words.
There is nothing worse than spending a lot of time researching a product and then being disappointed with a compromise.
If you haven't decided on a bike yet please pop into our Cambridge store this week and we will put a suitable deal together for you.
If you can please email me on sales@electricbikesales.co.uk to let me know when you are coming.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Identify yourself as trade please, see the AUP!