Belt drive "creaking"

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
I have a 2023 model Gazelle Grenoble C5 HMB, which has belt drive to the Shimano 5-speed hub. The belt's started "creaking" intermittently from time to time for no apparent reason. I'm unable to decide what the rate at which it "creaks" ties in with, but it seems to vary according to gear selected i.e. lower gear, more frequent creaking. The really mystifying thing is that it seems to start and stop as the fancy takes it: I cannot make it start creaking, nor can I stop it creaking once it starts. Bike's done 1100 miles and the belt's correctly tensioned.

It's more of a curiosity than a problem, but I'd still like to get rid of the "creaking" if I can. Any ideas as to a likely cause and a possible cure?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There were two causes of annoying creaking on my BBS01B mid-drive converted bike - a slightly loose motor was one of them, the other was a lack of lube at my bike's folding mechanism (I had never ever oiled it, and it's an old bike). Maybe check the nuts and bolts holding your mid-drive motor? If a slightly loose motor is the cause, you may be lucky and threads haven't been a bit worn/stripped. In my case, threadlocker and tightenings solved the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: danfoto

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
OK, I'll check the motor mounting out as soon as I can. Am I right in thinking though that the only thing that's supposed to go on the belt is water and washing-up liquid to clean it if it's crudded up?