Best 29er rim for bafang cst

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi all again

I would like to know what is the best rim for my heavy bafang cst.

Also, should I do 2 cross and 3 cross?

Thanks
Pat

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Hi Pat this is what we fit we get the spokes from alan He will know what size and how to cross
his mail address just1bike@gmail.com

Mavic TN317 29er MTB Disc Rim 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Frank
That's a good rim :)

As the hub is so large you wont be able to do three cross as the angle from the rim will be too accute. You could do two cross if you use good quality 14g double butted spokes (14/16/14). One cross with plain gauge 14g spokes should be fine as well but I always find wheels build stronger with DB spokes.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Pat Alan ( catsnaper ) supplies us with 13G DT swiss spokes he also will do the whole job if you send him the motor

Frank

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
I am using halo freedom disc rims on mine. With sapim 13g spokes from Graham

Probably been using this combo for the last 3 years with no issues.

Rich

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thank you for all the replies.

If I use 13g spokes with 2 cross on 29er, would that be strong enough? as the wheel is much bigger compared with 26

Pat

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you for all the replies.

If I use 13g spokes with 2 cross on 29er, would that be strong enough? as the wheel is much bigger compared with 26

Pat
Easily.

I'm running a front Mac motor at 2kw peak with 14g DB spokes in two cross in a 700c rim.

A wheel is only as good as the builder, and I've found using DB spokes makes for a more resilient wheel as opposed to ones that use straight gauge spokes.

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks.

I am getting the 13g spokes from Alan. For some reason he is not in UK at the moment.

I believe Alan's spoke is very good quality if 13G is good enough I would go for this option

Not sure where I can get a good quality 14G spokes though

Pat

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hi Pat,

First, an update of everything, followed by a few clarifications. If you're bored, you can pass on to other more interesting things:)

Thanks to the tardiness of certain UK people I was told I have to start taking Warfarin - just as we're on the way to Barcelona!

The excellent medics at the University hospital (in San Juan near Alicante) finally insisted I would be checked for EVERYTHING for a week, and then insisted I would be around for a further month while they stabilised my Warfarin! Hopefully we'll be back to Maldon in a week. An excellent idea was to miss all the storms in the southern parts of the UK:rolleyes:

We have a range of spokes of plain, single and double butted, but most people want plain spokes for electric bikes. Butted spokes are more expensive, but last longer and are more compliant, especially for more extreme uses.
The alternative stealth lightweight road bike/e-bike may shave a few more sporty double butted spokes:)

amigafan2003 and d8veh both comment about their e-bike wheels - both sensible but different ideas by two guys with a vast amount of experience.

Our spokes and delivery costs are the same as always, BUT they will be posted from the UK or Spain, depending on the time of year. The Spanish postal costs are identical, but take a couple of days longer. Valencia and El Compello are both quick at posting small parcels, but complete wheels will be sent to the UK by my usual couriers.

Best,

Alan:cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Alan, could you re-post contact details because a few people have been trying to find you.

Don't forget that I have your spokes on my Dahon, that have given no trouble in 2 years.

Just to avoid any confusion: I use the cheap 13g spokes and rims from BMSBattery because they're easy and cheap to source at the same time as the motors. They're the same as what they provide with their kits. I'm not saying that they're the best, but I find them adequate. I've never had a problem despite a lot of abuse, and I'm 100kg. We had one Q128 motor-wheel that I fitted to Saneagle's bike, where the spokes started breaking as fast as we could replace them, so either they were a bad batch or something else was wrong. We haven't used that motor since because we replaced it with a high speed Q100, so I haven't rebuilt it to see if if was those particular spokes.

So, in summary, if you have a nice bike and want a really nice wheel that'll last a life-time, get your spokes from Catsnapper and a quality rim. He can build it for you too. If you don't mind initial and occasional spoke adjustment, the BMSBattery stuff is OK, but don't forget to order their $1 spoke key, which you'll most likely need to initially tension the spokes and probably need to dish the wheel as well.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Alan

Good to know you are well over there :) It seems everything works out ok for you.

I will pm you when you come back, I am still planning to do a bit more research as 29er is a new area to me and I want to make sure the wheel build is strong and long lasting.

I believe using 13G double butted with 2 cross lacing on 29er rim + 4.4kg bafang CST motor would be ok?

Thanks
Pat

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message. Anyone can contact me about custom cut spokes and wheels at:

catsnapperwheels@gmail.com.

All details about the Morizumi cutter with custom DT Swiss and Sapim spokes are included.

Best,

Alan
Hi Alan,

Rather than sending you a pm I want ask you a question so everyone can read

Do you supply 14G double butted spokes?

Thanks
Pat