Best Bang for Buck Basic Conversion

projem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 27, 2010
Hope someone can help, I am looking for a front mounted hub motor with disc mount, either 26" or 29er (no legal restrictions and unassisted if need be, looking for torque up to 25mph), controller/battery and thumb control. Need to cover 20 miles daily on our site 365 so reliability and a UK supplier/support would be appreciated but not a deal breaker... handy with solder if need be on seperate components.

Thanks for any suggestions, J.

ps mounted in a Surly Karate Monkey 29er steel front fork with disc mounts

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
probably best going for a direct drive motor to hit that speed really. Less moving parts etc.

Won't be as much low torque but speed should be easy to achieve.

Puma, mac motor, golden motor company, loads of direct drive motors about.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If you want quality and support you need to be thinking around £700 - £1000. Are you?

projem

Mar 27, 2010
Hi Alan, my ball park was £600 but yep a K was not out of sight.... if it means a bit of pedalling but saving a bundle... hmmm, thanks for the reply, J.

C

Cyclezee

Have you considered an eZee kit Alan? Let me know if you are interested;)

projem

Mar 27, 2010
Scotty, do all these companies supply disc options on a 26" wheel?
I'm thinking of going 26" in my 29er forks.... its only a matter of time before I crack this 29er frame

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
pretty much so. Alot of hub motors all come with disk options. Its only a case of specifying for it.

I personally don't have disk brakes but the recent hub motors i.ve brought all come with disk mounts.

Usually you need a few spacer's to get the correct offset for the brake caliper.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hope someone can help, I am looking for a front mounted hub motor with disc mount, either 26" or 29er (no legal restrictions and unassisted if need be, looking for torque up to 25mph), controller/battery and thumb control. Need to cover 20 miles daily on our site 365 so reliability and a UK supplier/support would be appreciated but not a deal breaker... handy with solder if need be on seperate components.

ps mounted in a Surly Karate Monkey 29er steel front fork with disc mounts
You need to think a bit about the speed. My rough calculation says that you'll need a minimum 20aH 48v battery to do that - possibly bigger. That alone will cost £400 to £600. Then you need the motor and controller and the rest of the stuff. The only one that I know that sells kit in the UK capable of doing that is Banbury Frank, who I'm sure will reply shortly, and hopefully he'll give you some idea of the cost.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Aldby

Just noticed your new logo; very smart!

Regards,
Indalo
Yes a lot more slick then that awful green square.........

(as seen below:eek:)

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Projem

We sell the kit you need 24 mph or 28 mph

Discounts available to forum members

you are welcome to come and try one off our kits fitted to a demo bike

We are open 7 days a week

We stock the Kona forks as we found the surly forks hard to get

Fitted a set yesterday to a trek bike