best e bike to derestrict and add throttle

ollie_chapppppp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2023
im new to electric bikes and im in the uk so no legal bikes can have more than 250w and the battery cant power above 15.5mph
so my question is whats an e bike that suits that and can easily be derestricted and add a throttle to it

any help would be amazing as im very much out of my depth here

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
im new to electric bikes and im in the uk so no legal bikes can have more than 250w and the battery cant power above 15.5mph
so my question is whats an e bike that suits that and can easily be derestricted and add a throttle to it

any help would be amazing as im very much out of my depth here
Thr best ones are the cheapest ones that you find on Amazon or Ebay. Many can be derestricted by setting the top speed in the LCD. When the battery expires, upgrade to a 48v one with a new controller to get 30% more power and speed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bbs bafang mid drive motors

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ollie_chapppppp

Jun 11, 2023

ollie_chapppppp

Jun 11, 2023
Thr best ones are the cheapest ones that you find on Amazon or Ebay. Many can be derestricted by setting the top speed in the LCD. When the battery expires, upgrade to a 48v one with a new controller to get 30% more power and speed.
it says its max speed is 15.5 mph and theres no way to get above that without a new battery?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It looks like parameter 8 is the speed limit setting at 1:04
From an Ebay listing:
"*The M5 setting is including battery power button,front light button,6 km/h walking,wheel diameter setting,Max speed setting,sleep time,back light and voltage setting "

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends on the discharge rate a bosch batt is rated for 20A if you tried to pull 50a it would explode.

a bbs hd has a 30 a controller so the batt must be able to sustain this load if you use a 3rd party controller and push it to 50a again the batt must be able to sustain that load and not explode.

you can set the speed limit to what you like but unless you got the voltage and amps to sustain it does not matter what you set it to.

6v 12a 12v 6a more voltage less amps = less heat

ollie_chapppppp

Jun 11, 2023
thank you for all the help im trying my best to wrap my head around this
so will i be able to go top speed on just the throttle or would i also have to use the pedal assist and if i cant only use the throttle for top speed is there any way to change that?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

weapon speeds at tip 250mph 400-500a controllers :p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
so will i be able to go top speed on just the throttle or would i also have to use the pedal assist and if i cant only use the throttle for top speed is there any way to change that?
I can only go by the way they normally work, as I don't have that particular bike. The throttle is normally independent. You can use pedal assist or throttle whenever you want. Throttle takes precedence. According to the manual, you can change the way the throttle works to be dependent on pedalling for legal compliance if you want. There's no saying how it will be set when it arrives, but you can change it to how you want.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think normally the motor assist stops when you reach 15.5 mph, to go faster than that you have to pedal only. If you alter the max motor assist speed that changes the speed at which the motor assist stops (whether throttle or PAS) On my hub motor bike, I get to 19mph on the flat, pedalling, even with the motor assist. I haven't fitted a throttle but I suspect throttle only it wouldn't reach that speed. Depends what motor has been fitted and what the max rpm is, what size wheel, how heavy the rider+bike, and how powerful the motor is.

ollie_chapppppp

Jun 11, 2023
I think normally the motor assist stops when you reach 15.5 mph, to go faster than that you have to pedal only. If you alter the max motor assist speed that changes the speed at which the motor assist stops (whether throttle or PAS) On my hub motor bike, I get to 19mph on the flat, pedalling, even with the motor assist. I haven't fitted a throttle but I suspect throttle only it wouldn't reach that speed. Depends what motor has been fitted and what the max rpm is, what size wheel, how heavy the rider+bike, and how powerful the motor is.
i do that with a controller or dongle right?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i do that with a controller or dongle right?
yes the difference between just changing the settings in a controller is not the same as a dongle as you can set the amps higher ect a dongle on a bosch bike only removes the speed limit and the controller is 20a

even if i shunt mod the controller for more amps it is pointless as id have to do same same to the batt as well and that's not going to happen because of a smart bms in bosch batts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
depends what diy kit and bike you want to fit it 2 a bbs hd will have a 30a controller a bosch bike will have a 20a locked controller and need a dongle to remove the speed limit