Best lightweight kit for road bike

jeremy.r

Just Joined
May 25, 2016
london
Hi All,

I currently have a road bike (Triban 500SE from Decathlon) used to commune c.17 miles a day in London. My main priority is to increase the starting speed to get off red light faster and move away from traffic + increasing cruising speed to be closer to 25mph (I currently cycle at 20mph comfortably). I am 75kg, and pretty sporty (triathlon, running...).

Following my research on light systems I found two:
- BBS01 kit: not too heavy but I don't understand why there is a manual throttle? I would much prefer to get a fully automated PAS where I don't need to focus on something else but cycling (unless I misunderstood what the manual throttle purpose is)
- TSDZ2 kit: embedded torque sensor means I probably don't need to worry about anything but just cycle. Is this good for road bikes?
- other? Like Keyde back wheel for example?

I have few hills on the way to work.
I would prefer to buy something in the UK from a warranty and support perspective.

I look forward to your answers and I hope that this post can serve as reference for commuter with road bikes looking for lightwieght conversion kit.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you don't need to fit the throttle.
It's used for hill start or when you are too tired to pedal.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
First thing is obviously 25mph is illegal. There is plenty on that elsewhere on the site.
No one needs to say anything else unless you ask.
Ok the BBs it is easy to set a new top speed.
You will need a Lot less effort to accelerate. And going up hill you will be able to climb twice as fast as before. You will also be fresher when you come to the flats.
The throttle will eat into the range and give you more Power and acceleration.
The BBS is more power on/off. A torque sensor makes for a nicer ride and slow speed control, weaving round bollards and tourists.
I have had both. I prefer torque sensor but on bang for Buck I have BBS system myself.
I hit 25kph leaving others for dead. Other electric bikes will catch me uphill as I don't use the throttle. But I was able to beat a dongled bike today on the flat and downhill my bike is the fastest.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks Trex. In that case would they both perform similarly given my needs?
yes, it's not either or, you can use both at the same time, in this case, the throttle takes precedence. If you let go of the throttle, the assist level reverts back to the level your bike is currently set at.
The TSDZ2 motor has torque sensor, and start on torque, the Chinese call it MMT function. This is equivalent to you pushing the lever on your thumb throttle.

jeremy.r

Just Joined
May 25, 2016
london
Thank you both for your help.

I might just go for the BBS system since the throttle system is more helpful than I first thought.

Jeremy

jeremy.r

Just Joined
May 25, 2016
london
Follow up question actually. Using the BBS01 how could I fit the brake "cut off" since I don't have standard brakes but instead I have "reverse" brakes?

I am also considering 48v 15a vs 36v 15a. From what I understand total output is what matters and 48v would give an extra kick but I am open to advice.

Attachments

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Follow up question actually. Using the BBS01 how could I fit the brake "cut off" since I don't have standard brakes but instead I have "reverse" brakes?

I am also considering 48v 15a vs 36v 15a. From what I understand total output is what matters and 48v would give an extra kick but I am open to advice.
Buy a cut off button

Or use a hidden wire brake sensor. You can buy both in the UK with obscene mark-up or from China with ridiculous postage, your choice :D

If you are a cyclist you just want assistance on red light take off and up steep hills. A bog standard legal 250 W BBS0x will give you that up to 25 km/h. Over and beyond I don't see the point of assistance on a 16 kg bike.