djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Looking at getting one of these motors but:
  • don't want to wait more than a few days
  • want either no battery or a small (10ah 48v) one
  • want a 52T chainring
  • want a decent colour display
  • don't want to pay silly money (like more that about £420)

Ebay doesn't seem to have 52T rings with the ones I can see
Amazon has silly delivery waits
Aliexpress has some promising looking shops that claim to have UK warehouses but not sure..

Any recommendations??

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Unless you are fitting this motor to a folder or a bike with 20" wheels or smaller, I would not recommend a 52t chainwheel. 42/44t is prob. the ideal size to keep the motor spinning at an optimal speed. You may have trouble finding a 10Ah battery with a BMS rated high enough to run at 25 amps con. most will only do 20amps, which is not suitable to run the motor at full power. This battery will work OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: djneils98

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
About six weeks ago, I tried to buy a BS01 and battery combination from an Ebay outfit that claimed to have UK stocks and would deliver in three days. Turned out that once I had paid the bill, only the motor was in the UK and they suggested they would dispatch that right away, and I could wait a month or so for the battery to come from China.... This was not at all what I had signed up to, and I protested pretty loudly until they cancelled the deal and refunded my money.

I went another route and dealt with a one man band type of bike builder business, not that far from where I live and he sold me a ready built bike conversion which has been great. I also got instant help when the LCD unit started to show dark lines. He offered immediately to change it, and I took the bike to him and he did it on the spot. He is called Billy Milburn and I know he has some level of stock of these motors. I'm not sure if he would sell you one - try him if you like. He also builds his own batteries from quality branded cells - Samsung and Panasonic. I was very pleased with everything - especially the instant sorting of the duff LCD, which of course was not his fault.

This is his website which carries his phone number.

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
Unless you are fitting this motor to a folder or a bike with 20" wheels or smaller, I would not recommend a 52t chainwheel. 42/44t is prob. the ideal size to keep the motor spinning at an optimal speed. You may have trouble finding a 10Ah battery with a BMS rated high enough to run at 25 amps con. most will only do 20amps, which is not suitable to run the motor at full power. This battery will work OK.
thanks - I am using this on a 20" folding bike hence the need for a 52T (I'm trying to make my own version of the Luna cycles mini since they don't ship that model outside the US)
thanks for the links
I've also found this UK site - anyone have any experience of them?
https://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-motor-kits-c-17_65/bafang-bbs02b-48v-750w-mid-drive-motor-kit-p-185.html
and a nice small battery
https://eclipsebikes.com/lithium-ion-c-1_8/super-shark-48v-98ah-ebike-battery-samsung-25r-cells-p-279.html

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
About six weeks ago, I tried to buy a BS01 and battery combination from an Ebay outfit that claimed to have UK stocks and would deliver in three days. Turned out that once I had paid the bill, only the motor was in the UK and they suggested they would dispatch that right away, and I could wait a month or so for the battery to come from China.... This was not at all what I had signed up to, and I protested pretty loudly until they cancelled the deal and refunded my money.

I went another route and dealt with a one man band type of bike builder business, not that far from where I live and he sold me a ready built bike conversion which has been great. I also got instant help when the LCD unit started to show dark lines. He offered immediately to change it, and I took the bike to him and he did it on the spot. He is called Billy Milburn and I know he has some level of stock of these motors. I'm not sure if he would sell you one - try him if you like. He also builds his own batteries from quality branded cells - Samsung and Panasonic. I was very pleased with everything - especially the instant sorting of the duff LCD, which of course was not his fault.

This is his website which carries his phone number.

thanks - he's charging £500 for just the motor though which is a little excessive

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
thanks - I am using this on a 20" folding bike hence the need for a 52T (I'm trying to make my own version of the Luna cycles mini since they don't ship that model outside the US)
thanks for the links
I've also found this UK site - anyone have any experience of them?
https://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-motor-kits-c-17_65/bafang-bbs02b-48v-750w-mid-drive-motor-kit-p-185.html
and a nice small battery
https://eclipsebikes.com/lithium-ion-c-1_8/super-shark-48v-98ah-ebike-battery-samsung-25r-cells-p-279.html
Yes, Eclipse are a well established firm with a decent reputation. Their batteries come from EM3ev and are very well constructed.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You can get an adapter to fit the BBS02 to enable fitment of a nice 52t narrow/wide chainwheel, although it often throws your chainline out, due to lack of offset.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Purchased my 750 Watt kit from Junstar-EU on Amazon. Arrived in about a week, motor and battery sent separately but arrived on the same day. Their kit with a smaller battery is about £640.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I can recommend this company, the last bbs01 I bought from them was shipped quickly from the uk, bbs02 from about £360

Greenergy Electric Bike Store

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I can recommend this company, the last bbs01 I bought from them was shipped quickly from the uk, bbs02 from about £360

Greenergy Electric Bike Store
That's an amazing price. I wonder, did you buy it before the new rules on VAT started to be applied by Ebay?

Reactions: KenR