Best selling eBikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's probably it David. Very hilly areas are off putting for cycling, and probably not helped by kids often wanting the cheap dual suspension and very heavy bikes as their first bike choice. I've seen them hit a hill on their new bike within our hilly estate and promptly lose enthusiasm!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The anti-dumping tax is almost universally ignored by the volume bike manufacturers,there are so many ways round it that I doubt anybody pays it,just makes the Germans feel better that they are putting some difficulty in the way of Chinese imports-it's ironic that the Kudos frames are made in the same chinese factory as many of the high end German and Austrian manufacturers-something about 'people who live in glasshouses should not throw stones!'
Dave
KudosCycles

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Therefore there are more bike users achieving an age where riding a pedal bike becomes less attractive, an electric bike prolongs by several years their bike riding days.

All the best

David
I always thought that 'several' implied a relatively low number, and I hope for all our sakes that it's at least into double figures - preferably WELL into double figures!

Looking on the optimistic side, hills and headwinds have put me off bike riding since my AGE was in single figures - so perhaps we might stretch 'several' to at least 70 years.....

Rog.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I always thought that 'several' implied a relatively low number, and I hope for all our sakes that it's at least into double figures - preferably WELL into double figures!

Looking on the optimistic side, hills and headwinds have put me off bike riding since my AGE was in single figures - so perhaps we might stretch 'several' to at least 70 years.....

Rog.
Sorry Rog, wrong adjective, I should have said many, many, many years! :)

All the best, David

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
And the rest of us will ride our Ebikes to the stars. 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' as some are wont to say!
When I was wont to say it, I meant 'after work we go to the pictures' (in-joke for RAF types!)

Don:cool:

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I too have pondered this, it is the same in Germany, the flatter the terrain the more electric bikes are sold. I think the reason is simply people who live in flatter areas are traditionally more likely to use a bike, hence there are more bike users in these locations. Therefore there are more bike users achieving an age where riding a pedal bike becomes less attractive, an electric bike prolongs by several years their bike riding days.

All the best

David
I just love this 'flat terrain' reference. Cycling is popular with visitors to Norfolk because it is perceived as being 'flat'. After throwing a leg over a cycle saddle, it soon becomes apparent that Norfolk ain't that flat ... it is ever so slightly undulating ... which is why I took the e-bike option.

Working in Germany and Holland some years ago, I noticed that people of all ages cycled. Here in Norfolk it is mainly ladies of a certain age. Thirty or so years ago, for families that could afford a car, it was the husband that drove; ladies just didn't have a car - so they cycled! That tradition continues here for us older folk. However, younger ladies here drive cars now (very fast; possibly the subject of a separate thread!) and are rarely seen on two wheels. Spiralling motoring costs might change this to some degree but, with village shops closing and supermarkets a considerable distance away, two wheels will never replace four for most of us in the countryside.

Sun's out ... I'm off! :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just love this 'flat terrain' reference. Cycling is popular with visitors to Norfolk because it is perceived as being 'flat'. After throwing a leg over a cycle saddle, it soon becomes apparent that Norfolk ain't that flat ... it is ever so slightly undulating ...
But it's flat terrain to those of use in really hilly areas, as David and I do. I don't regard anything 6% or less as a climb. It's just normal cycling to me, and not power assisted for most of my life.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
But it's flat terrain to those of use in really hilly areas, as David and I do. I don't regard anything 6% or less as a climb. It's just normal cycling to me, and not power assisted for most of my life.
Confucius; He say "One man's 'normal' cycling (=<6%) is another man's mountain". :(

I'm back ... it's precipitating again!

Best Wishes

Don :cool:

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Yes, and that like headwinds is bad everywhere. :(
One man's headwind is another man's ........................ headwind?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Davanti said "However younger ladies drive cars now, and are seldom seen on two wheels." You should be so lucky! Young ladies around here are seen on two wheels all the time whilst driving their cars, especially on roundabouts.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I always thought Lincolnshire was flat, but changed my mind whilst cycling/struggling there from Leicester! As for headwinds, don't get me started...

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Jasono. Sorry to hear about your struggle, on your journey from Leicester. You did not say what your destination was , probably Skegness? It only the south of the county that is flat. The rest of the county is moderately hilly, especially the wolds. The flat area, called the fens, covers South Lincolnshire [aka Holland]. and parts of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. If you cycle from Lincoln to Boston on national cycle Route One, which mainly runs alongside the river Witham, you can then bike all the way to Cambridge without rising or falling more than about 40 feet. Total distance about 80 miles. Of course as you say, the fens are very windy. I always plan my rides so I get headwind out, and tailwind back. Some times, as a treat, like yesterday, I did the headwind bit on the train, to Sleaford, and biked the 20 miles back. Inspite of showers, I really enjoyed the trip.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi Neptune, my destination was indeed Skegness. We took the very scenic route via the Vale of Belvoir and Woodall Spa. It was a lovely route 117 miles in total and for most of the journey hardly saw a car. In my head I assumed once we got into Lincs then the terrain would be a lot flatter and easier than it was/is! The NCN route 1 sounds interesting, I've always fancied heading up to North using this. NCN route 6 is very local to me and the sections I have used are on the whole very good

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
The NCN route 1 sounds interesting, I've always fancied heading up to North using this. NCN route 6 is very local to me and the sections I have used are on the whole very good
:) I presume NCN is shorthand for National Cycling Network. Surely these cannot be dedicated cycle paths ... they must be roads shared with other traffic. Is there a NCN map or series of maps? I've noticed a blue sign near my village with a white cycle and (I think) 36 or 38 on it. Could this be related to the NCN ?

Don :cool:

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi Don
The NCN (National Cycle Network) routes are the blue signs and can be on road, cycle path, tow path, etc. They do vary abit in quality, but are handy. Route 6 from where I live into Leicester City is very good and a mix of all 3 of the above
You can buy maps, etc have a look at the Sustrans website: Sustrans | Join the movement (I think). There is also an interactive map of cycle routes on there