Best value Bosch Performance CX

BenC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2020
Hi all, first post here.

I am one of the many people who are patiently waiting for a new Vanmoof S3.

My order has been delayed twice now and I expect it will be delayed again. So I'm looking to buy another ebike to use for the next 8-12 weeks as the Vanmoof probably wont arrive now until 2021.

I'd like something with the Bosch Performance CX motor as I like the feel of it, the magnet trick is simple and unlocks a more sensible cruising speed and I think it will be easier to sell on second-hand a few months from now and retain a decent amount of its value.

I'm happy with a Hybrid or hardtail MTB, I'm 5'10" so a Medium frame is ideal. I'm wondering if you Pedelecers know of any that are A) good value and B) available to buy this week.

Many thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh's website still shows Big Bear and Santana CD available.

Certainly not MTB, and only just come under hybrid, but certainly good value and could suit.

Reactions: BenC

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you look at the actual user reviews of the Vanmoof rather than the expensive marketing ones?

You can't trick the Bosch CX by turning the magnet sensor round. One guy on this forum tried it recently and bricked his motor. Do not attempt to do that under any circumstances. Don't believe anything you see on Youtube.

If you want a bike that can be derestricted, buy one with Chinese electrics or do some proper research, then verify what you find.

BenC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2020
Hi there VFR400 (NC30 or 35?) thanks for your reply.

I test rode the Vanmoof and really liked it, so I bought one.

A friend has a Bosch motor and just put a magnet on the crank arm and moved the sensor and it works perfectly. I'm not sure what you mean by bricking it, I can't see how this would happen?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi there VFR400 (NC30 or 35?) thanks for your reply.

I test rode the Vanmoof and really liked it, so I bought one.

A friend has a Bosch motor and just put a magnet on the crank arm and moved the sensor and it works perfectly. I'm not sure what you mean by bricking it, I can't see how this would happen?
The system allows the bike to work for a period of time then gives an error code. The error code resets when you switch off and on again, which allows a further period of time. I heard that he third time you get the code, it can't be reset. some info here:

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
tredz list a number of bikes that are either demo or have superficial marks on them from transit/ build...

they did have an Orbea hybrid a few weeks ago, looks to have sold. Maybe something there that suits, if only for the discount where it would limit your losses come resale.

Whilst stocks of 2019/2020 models are pretty scarce they might be something if you search the usual internet sites such as Rutland cycling, chainreactioncycles, wiggle, jejames, evans cycles, Paul’s cycles etc etc etc

Reactions: BenC

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
perfectly. I'm not sure what you mean by bricking it, I can't see how this would happen?
Bricking is when an electronic device becomes unusable, often from a failed software or firmware update. If an update error causes system-level damage, the device may not start up or function at all. In other words, the electronic device becomes a paperweight or a "brick."

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I suspect once you've got over the 'Hipster' novelty of the Vanmoof, if you buy a CX motored MTB as well you'll be choosing that for most rides (other than posing around town)

• :D
Reactions: MontyPAS

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I suspect once you've got over the 'Hipster' novelty of the Vanmoof, if you buy a CX motored MTB as well you'll be choosing that for most rides (other than posing around town)
Must admit I thought the same! Whilst a good looking bike .... It seems high maintenance.
Everything is hidden, high tech and specific to the brand. I would be worried about getting it repaired if it goes TU. Nothing is generic, getting replacement outside of the warranty will be a nightmare.

Other opinions are available!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have had my bosch bike since 2014 and have a dongle to remove the speed limit and never had a problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
then get a bad ass dongle others still work wired to the motor but a update could brick them.

if you want a dongle and no hassle warranty you can buy from here.

Tuning devices are supplied on the basis that they may only work with the software version of the bike supplied at the time of supply & no warranty or guarantee is given that these will continue to work with future software versions or upgrades.

they also offer warranty and a dongle ;)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
@
Electric Transport Shop
Official Trade Member

Nov 13, 2018
Hi Soundwave,
I hope you're keeping well and enjoying your e-bike.
I just noticed your post suggesting that e-bikeshop are the only dealer that will fit dongles and honour warranties and because you're a very active member just wanted to let you know that this is also the case for us at electricbikesales.co.uk
In fact we've been providing fast ebikes for commuting and fun loving e-bikers since 2005.

I hope you don't mind me contacting you about this.

What are your thoughts about the FlyOn models? We will have demos in all of our stores. They use a different speed sensing method....

All the Best.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
@
Electric Transport Shop
Official Trade Member

Nov 13, 2018
Hi Soundwave,
I hope you're keeping well and enjoying your e-bike.
I just noticed your post suggesting that e-bikeshop are the only dealer that will fit dongles and honour warranties and because you're a very active member just wanted to let you know that this is also the case for us at electricbikesales.co.uk
In fact we've been providing fast ebikes for commuting and fun loving e-bikers since 2005.

I hope you don't mind me contacting you about this.

What are your thoughts about the FlyOn models? We will have demos in all of our stores. They use a different speed sensing method....

All the Best.
Not what they say on their website.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Not what they say on their website.
its a secret lol ;) tho martin at ebike shop does not care even tho it did say no warranty on dongle motors on the bosch web site but sells them anyway with dongles fitted :rolleyes:.

• :D
Reactions: MontyPAS