Best way to climb a hill for battery/motor health

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hmmm. I assume you are talking about the cadence that YOU as a cyclist are happiest at?
I ask, because if you have a normal yamaha PW motored bike, then once you get up in the 90RPM range, you are getting very little assistance from the motor. Its most powerful at around 75RPM, but virtually useless over 100RPM.
The Bosch (especially CX) will go higher.
Sounds like you need to swap motors around :)
If only that were possible..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
New Yamaha PW-X has higher cadence support.
I know that have a smaller Q factor, but I wonder if they can be swapped for the older PW models?
no the motor bolts are in a different place on the pwx

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Is there such a thing as a cx powered road bike similar to the giant road e+1?
Well, it depends on what you mean by 'similar' ?
If its just a drop handlebar racer, then they are rare, but there are a few. Haibike Race S springs to mind, and I think I've seen one or two others either on German or US review sites.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
no the motor bolts are in a different place on the pwx
Shame. I'd Certainly pay extra to 'upgrade' to get the higher cadence support if ever I needed to swap out a faulty Yamaha motor at some point in the future.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Actually I rather like the way the giant delivers power. My old legs don't like spinning much faster than 90 for more than a few seconds so any power above that would be wasted. On the plus side it gives heavy assist low down.. 60 rpms or less.. You know.. The place proper cyclists don't go for fear of injury.
I also found a way to utilise this lack of high cadence assist to great advantage so wouldnt swap if it were pisdible, but that's a conversation for elsewhere..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
KTM Macina Flite. http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/ebikes/bosch-drive---hybrid-city-bikes/2018-ktm-macina-flite-11

And for direct comparison in respect of looks. The giant road e+1

The Giant looks pretty bulky by comparison.

There is also a 'Street' version of the KTM.

When i saw the giant it was just what I wanted even though I didn't know what I wanted and as best I can recall there weren't many other options back then so had to have it. Now of course like others have found.. my ebikes aren't worth much so an upgrade is an expensive prospect

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
When i saw the giant it was just what I wanted even though I didn't know what I wanted and as best I can recall there weren't many other options back then so had to have it. Now of course like others have found.. my ebikes aren't worth much so an upgrade is an expensive prospect

was about 6k tho 2014 ver

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not really convinced that the CX is they way to go for a road bike. I'd rather have a conventional chainring size, such as on the Giant.

I see the CX as being too restrictive in respect of gearing, and possibly front sprocket wear and tear.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

was about 6k tho 2014 ver
It wasn't the price it was the battery integration that I hadn't seen before that took my eye. AND, which is a big and, it was available to buy from my local shop and they loaned me one to try.
I am not one of those that try in the shop and then buy online because that is really unfair to the dealers so bought it and havnt regretted it one bit.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SW, that would all but screw up the hill climbing ability. At least the Giant has a broad range of gears to cover every eventuality.

I'd love to try a drop bar ebike, but doubt that I could ever own one, as I suspect that I would find flat bars to be more comfortable and practical.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
SW, that would all but screw up the hill climbing ability. At least the Giant has a broad range of gears to cover every eventuality.
why do you think i sold it ;) prob could make it work but would need access to the motor settings and thats not going to happen.

Reactions: EddiePJ

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Actually I rather like the way the giant delivers power. My old legs don't like spinning much faster than 90 for more than a few seconds so any power above that would be wasted. On the plus side it gives heavy assist low down.. 60 rpms or less.. You know.. The place proper cyclists don't go for fear of injury.
I also found a way to utilise this lack of high cadence assist to great advantage so wouldnt swap if it were pisdible, but that's a conversation for elsewhere..
I am genuinely interested in this advantage. And this thread is about what's best for the battery etc, so ....
Is the advantage that you've found if you spin fairly fast, you use less battery power and so extend the range?

(and FWIW, my wife seems to prefer the Yamaha motor to Bosch CX in terms of smooth power delivery!)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Last week I was out getting rid of the cobwebs and trying to keep my legs in shape and the first bike to pass me was the Giant. He slowly pulled away but it took him several km and a red light to lose me so I guess he was just below the cutoff at maybe 24 km/h. Had I been on the pedelec he wouldn't have caught me in the first place... :)

I am genuinely interested in this advantage. And this thread is about what's best for the battery etc, so ....
Is the advantage that you've found if you spin fairly fast, you use less battery power and so extend the range?

(and FWIW, my wife seems to prefer the Yamaha motor to Bosch CX in terms of smooth power delivery!)
I have upped my rpm to about 100-105 thanks to the 44.4v battery and I am much more comfortable. Will get some real hill testing done as soon as the current bought of heavy rain blows over. It has a lot to do with where your comfort zone is and if you spin at the same speed as the motors best power band then yes of course you will help it more and use less battery.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
... It has a lot to do with where your comfort zone is and if you spin at the same speed as the motors best power band then yes of course you will help it more and use less battery.
So if you spin slower than the motor's optimum speed, then you waste battery power through winding heat losses.
But what happens if you spin your legs FASTER than the motors optimum speed? (so you're way above the power band and the motor is still spinning, but not giving much if any assistance)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm not really convinced that the CX is they way to go for a road bike. I'd rather have a conventional chainring size, such as on the Giant.

I see the CX as being too restrictive in respect of gearing, and possibly front sprocket wear and tear.
On a long ride at high cadence that small chainring will certainly do the rounds. I would think my big ring shares the load a lot better.
2300 miles on my giant and still wearing the same rings and cassette with no obvious signs of wear. There must be some but it all runs as smooth as silk. Few chains mind..

Reactions: EddiePJ