Best way to find and navigate off-road MTB routes

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I'd rather plan on a tablet than a PC. Tablets are more nifty and comfy for me. I tried to get the iPhone app to record/log my trip yesterday but when I'd finished, the stats were clearly wrong...probably because I did some app switching after starting it. That may have interrupted it. I'm starting to realise that what I want is a list of hyper local off-road routes and they barely exist at all. So I may as well just invent my own using the OS 1:25000 maps. Would be nice to record some and share them though.
Memory Map works much better and differently on a PC it also gives you many more options and whilst OS 1:25000 are fantastic for walking the 1:50000 are better for Cycling.
As an option are you aware if you buy an OS map for £8.00 you get a digital copy of the map you can download to your phone and tablet.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
OS 1:25000 are fantastic for walking the 1:50000 are better for Cycling.
Not an opinion that I would agree with.

1:50000 might be fine for road use or well marked trails the width of a motorway, but for anything off piste, or over technical and challenging terrain, 1:50000 is a miserable failure that lacks clarity and detail.

Last edited:

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Not an opinion that I would agree with.

1:50000 might be fine for road use or well marked trails the width of a motorway, but for anything off piste, or over technical and challenging terrain, 1:50000 is a miserable failure that lacks clarity and detail.
Miserable failure that lacks clarity and detail??
Absolute utter nonsense. The detail on the 1:50000 is excellent for almost all mtb navigation circumstances and topographer was looking to find bridalways not get involved with micro navigation.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Utter rubbish! You wouldn't stand a hope in hell of using 1:50000 for the majority of off road riding around here, and even when riding on the South Downs, it isn't on par.

As said, it is a miserable failure.

What is a bridalway?
A right of way is a path that anyone has the legal right to use on foot, and sometimes using other modes of transport.

• Public footpaths are normally open only to walkers
  • Public bridleways are open to walkers, horse-riders and pedal cyclists
  • Restricted byways are open to walkers, horse-riders, and drivers/riders of non-mechanically propelled vehicles (such as horse-drawn carriages and pedal cycles)
  • Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) are open to all classes of traffic including motor vehicles, though they may not be maintained to the same standard as ordinary roads.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
imo it is the same thing but spelt wrong ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there both crap i want google earth in real time and my own satellite with a dir link so i can zoom in to see how many stones are on each corner ;)

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Utter rubbish! You wouldn't stand a hope in hell of using 1:50000 for the majority of off road riding around here, and even when riding on the South Downs, it isn't on par.

As said, it is a miserable failure.

What is a bridalway?
it's obviously a spelling mistake, I thought you might have been able to work that one out.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
So I may as well just invent my own using the OS 1:25000 maps. Would be nice to record some and share them though.
Shown below, is a screen shot from the people that actually know a thing at two about mapping and it's recommended use. As you will see, 1:25 000 scale is recommended for mountain bike use, not 1:50 000 scale.

It is pointless paying for or using 1:50 000 scale, when it isn't up to the job.
You are going to be pretty disappointed if or when the occasion arises, that you leave a clearly defined motorway wide track, or come across an uncertain intersection, and 1:50 000 scale fails to show enough detail. It will happen.

This aspect will be made even worse, when weather conditions deteriorate, or you head out on a night ride. At these times, you will want every reference and detail that you can get, which is what 1:25 000 scale offers. Don't settle for second best, as sooner or later you will regret it.
I brought the subject of this thread up, this morning in my local mountain bike shop, and whilst there was only four people in the shop, no one person used 1:50 000 scale. When Single Track magazine carried out a feature some time back on mapping, once again 1:25 000 scale was the recommendation. Leave 1:50 000 for driving and road cycling.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1:25 000 explorers for me for off and on road, far more detail and tracks.

• Agree

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Here is the route I found and planned online with Viewranger. It runs very near a road I've cycled on a lot and didn't know this was there. Shame it's not that long and this is as rough as it gets. Part of an old abandoned railway line originally.
IMAG0011.jpg

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
there both crap i want google earth in real time and my own satellite with a dir link so i can zoom in to see how many stones are on each corner ;)
You can have the next best thing, a drone with a forward facing camera tracking you from above, sending real time images direct to your handlebar mounted phone. Simples

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You can have the next best thing, a drone with a forward facing camera tracking you from above, sending real time images direct to your handlebar mounted phone. Simples
it would be flat in 20mins and they cant fly them self good enough yet.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Wales not far in the right to roam, they will be on board soon why can't England do it ?
Garmin, maps and just head out and see where it takes you sometimes that's the bets fun out.

Related Articles

Advertisers