Bewildered biker looking for some help... :)

Mrklunk

Just Joined
Oct 9, 2016
Aberdeen
Hi Folks!,

I'm new and not got a clue about electric bikes! For health reasons I need to get one. I'm in my 50's but quite fit. There are so many I'm bewildered. Would have liked more oomph the 250w - but do I need the dual power Stealth/Cytronex thing? I'm not a speed freak so maybe that just complicates things?

I want:
  • Well built
  • Utility/Commuter (not much off road? A little green laneing)
  • Comfy/upright
  • Not too heavy though?
  • Looks not so important as I guess thieving scallys will be less keen on a 'boring' bike?
  • Can add panniers easily
  • Toys a bonus :)
  • Budget £1000ish
I like lots, some of which vary from all the points above. E.G The Gtech, Batribike Omega, Cytronex, Oxygen SCross, EBCO Roadster

I can up my budget for something amazing.

Thanks in advance folks,

Gary

#1Mrklunk, 7 minutes ago
Last edited: A moment ago

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The 250 watt isn't really true. The specification is the manufacturer rates the motor at 250 watts. The only testing is to make sure that the motor won't burn out at 250 watts continuous. Most motors run at near 400 watts with some peaking at over 800 watts.
The speed limit is 25 kph for assist. You can go much faster without power down hill.
Going faster uses a lot more battery power for little increase in speed. 15 mph is quite good for that.
If you want to average 30 mph buy a motorbike.
An illegal bike could cost you a lot if anything happened.

CrIMiN8l

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2016
London
Could you not get a 500w motor and have 250W stickers on it.
Could also say you bought it of Gumtree.! ( Of Course like that) If you was to get stopped by the PoPo.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Could you not get a 500w motor and have 250W stickers on it.
Could also say you bought it of Gumtree.! ( Of Course like that) If you was to get stopped by the PoPo.
Read my post above, the bbs01 250 watt motor works at around 500 watts and peaks near 800. It's legal and saves you the hassle of trying to convince mr plod that your home build is legal.
If a motor is rated as 500 watts then it's likely to burn out at much higher? Why is a 250 better than 500 you might wonder. The law says the motor must be able to run at a minimum of rated level without burn out. The 250 watt badge is simple if you want to sell a EU legal bike. If you just want to badge your motor as powerful then you rate it at the max it can do. To sell more you would rate a 750 watt motor as 750, so a 500 is likely to be 500 watts. Staying legal helps everyone, hooning around at 30 mph eats the battery and draws attention. It also hurts a lot if you crash.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

CrIMiN8l

Oct 23, 2016
London
Read my post above, the bbs01 250 watt motor works at around 500 watts and peaks near 800. It's legal and saves you the hassle of trying to convince mr plod that your home build is legal.
If a motor is rated as 500 watts then it's likely to burn out at much higher? Why is a 250 better than 500 you might wonder. The law says the motor must be able to run at a minimum of rated level without burn out. The 250 watt badge is simple if you want to sell a EU legal bike. If you just want to badge your motor as powerful then you rate it at the max it can do. To sell more you would rate a 750 watt motor as 750, so a 500 is likely to be 500 watts. Staying legal helps everyone, hooning around at 30 mph eats the battery and draws attention. It also hurts a lot if you crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrIMiN8l

Oct 23, 2016
London
Ok i'm actually new to this, i had ordered a 500w motor from EBC.
I rang them to find out it if it was illegal - answer technically yes N no. Was told can change the stickers on the motor.[emoji848] So I decided not to risk it and get the 250w. Do you think i can up the 250w to about 17mph.? Without burn out.?
Thanks for quick reply earlier

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Top speed depends on many things. Your effort, tire pressure, gearing,type of drive,type of bike, wind,but in general a 250 watt drive can get you to over 20.
But range falls quickly as speed rises.
Battery size is very important.
Motor type affects things too, the cheapest direct drives can fly on the flat but struggle on hills.
The speed is normaly electronically limited. But some designs are just not capable of going fast.
Say what you want and why, then people will advise on how to best do it.
Explain why you need power? It's important, I'm boring and stay legal, but I have still managed over 50 mph on my bike, on a fairly short hill! But when my athsma is playing up the assist helps me get home. That's different to someone with joint issues.
Ps if you happen to have 20 miles of private road then there are a few people who might ask if they can have an unrestricted ride on it.

Last edited:

CrIMiN8l

Oct 23, 2016
London
Ok I have a 7 mile commute to my new work place, not the best cyclist. Hoping i can do in 30min. Maybe asking some silly questions really. Most of my commute us gonna b flat.!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I can do 14 mph two ways, no power and a lot of sweat or relaxed with the assist on. But add in some traffic and speed drops. But not as bad as the cars I cruse past. But it's the real world limiter. Stopping at lights and filtering at 5mph all add time and reduce your average speed.
You should be able to do 7 miles in 30 mins easy, any more than 40 mins and I would be worried.
Unless I was in London then anything under an hour would be leaving the cars well behind.:cool:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
On a flat route assistance at 15mph will easily get you to work in 1/2 hour. From your description have a go on a Wisper Torque. You can add panniers. It has a great reputation with fantastic back up. Priced about £500 over your initial budget but in this world you invariably get what you pay for.

No matter what I or others say get to a good e-bike shop and try try and try different bikes. You'll be amazed how great they feel.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: CrIMiN8l