Bickerton Portable Folding Bike

cpg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 24, 2012
Hi All. I have been restoring a Bickerton folding bike with a view to using it for journeys where I want a small light weight folded package to carry around. It occurred to me recently that it would be a fun electric bike.
I suspect that few people have been brave enough or daft enough to convert a Bickerton to electric power but I would be interested to hear if anyone converted one of these bikes and how did it perform?
Thanks.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I haven't converted one but have eyed off a few (assuming 70's version) I can't see a problem as long as the convertion is kept low powered and light, something along the power and weight of a Tongxin and small battery, should be doable for a ballpark 3kg with a 5 amp 24v pack.
My little beat bike which has 12" wheels is good for 25km plus with pedalling, that is with 36v 6 amp battery, the Bickerton should be a lot more efficient and is better geared for assist.
Are the front forks a standard spacing? as it would be a shame to lose the three speed rear hub.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Last edited:

cpg

Oct 24, 2012
Yes its the 1970's version, all aluminium bolted together construction, not the later re-badged Dahons.
This is the bike.

IMG00716-20130530-2007.jpg

It was given to me by a friend as the frame hinge was bent and already had 3 other Bickertons. I am in the process of machining a new hinge from solid aluminium so it wont bend. I am hoping it will improve the stiffness of the bike, I have not ridden it yet but most of the references I found on the internet suggest its an acquired taste. I am fairly sure the front wheel drop-out spacing is around 80mm, not sure the forks could be widened without some serious persuasion.

Jerry, are you referring to Mr Shumaker's thread: On the subject of great value UK alloy folders... :)

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I had a Bickerton back in the 1980's when the choice of lightweight folding bikes was far more restricted.

I remember the problem I had was the handlebar clamp on the headstock. Because of the 2ft upward extension of the "cow horn" handlebars there was a considerable leverage on that clamp.

This rotated the bars forward under sudden strong braking, and was quite disconcerting.

Anyone thinking of electrifying one, with the additional weight of motor and battery would do well to reinforce that joint somehow.

Personally, I find Bromptons far superior now, in foldability and build quality, and make much more practical electric conversions.

cpg

Oct 24, 2012
Very true but Bromptons are not cheap, I could buy 5 or 6 Bickertons for the price of a used Brompton.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Very true but Bromptons are not cheap, I could buy 5 or 6 Bickertons for the price of a used Brompton.
Yes, very true CPG, I quite agree, Bromptons are superb bikes but unfortunately they're very "trendy" too, so have become something of a cult possession, or even fashion accessory, for many people.

A few years back, I bought a "Merc" which was a Chinese copy of the Brompton.

Not just a poor "similar" imitation either, but an exact copy.

I've since compared it with a real one and all the parts are interchangeable, and appear to be machined to the same quality and from the same material.

About a year later I started to read from the Brompton enthusiasts about their annoyance over the exact copies cheating Brompton out of their R & D investment, and I can see their point, especially as Brompton is British manufacturer with such a brilliant product.

I can't sell it on with a clear conscience though, as it would probably be denying Brompton of yet another sale, either directly, or indirectly.

merc folder.jpg

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My first Brompton M3L four 4 years ago was £500 new but less as I purchased it through the C2W scheme. The same bike is now around £850 which is a huge increase given that wages have hardly changed in the same time.

As you say they with a recent change of management and media positioning they do have a bit of a trendy status now particularly in London if I hear correct. Not something I favor but I guess fundamental to their success and increase in annual turn over these last few years.

The Merc differs from a standard Brompton in that it has an Aluminum frame over the Brompton's steel one. It was also manufactured with the consent of Andrew Richie under license in Asia for about a year until he decided to bring manufacture back to UK because of quality problems. That is how they got the design and went onto manufacture the Merc I think.

You do see them come up on ebay sometimes though I am not sure if they get pulled.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
My first Brompton M3L four 4 years ago was £500 new but less as I purchased it through the C2W scheme. The same bike is now around £850 which is a huge increase given that wages have hardly changed in the same time.

As you say they with a recent change of management and media positioning they do have a bit of a trendy status now particularly in London if I hear correct. Not something I favor but I guess fundamental to their success and increase in annual turn over these last few years.

The Merc differs from a standard Brompton in that it has an Aluminum frame over the Brompton's steel one. It was also manufactured with the consent of Andrew Richie under license in Asia for about a year until he decided to bring manufacture back to UK because of quality problems. That is how they got the design and went onto manufacture the Merc I think.

You do see them come up on ebay sometimes though I am not sure if they get pulled.

Regards

Jerry

I stand corrected there Jerry, I was unaware of the different frame material, (quite big oversight too !! :eek: ).

It's interesting to hear what you say about Brompton initially setting up a license and production in China. I guess that's how such a close copy was made easier.

I believe exactly the same thing happened with Honda mopeds and scooters. An initial attempt to legally produce there, then alledged quality control problems, then the arrangement ceased.

There is now a huge market in Chinese versions of Honda engines and scooters, so closely matching the original Japanese products that even engine parts are interchangeable.

cpg

Oct 24, 2012
I have heard rumours that when Mercs have come up on ebay Bropmton make a complaint and ebay pull the listing, I have never seen one come up on ebay. I know someone who owned a Merc and was very happy with it in terms of its quality.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
I remember being at Beta Bikes, a West Hampstead bike shop that sold new Bickertons, in the late 70s
I was buying a made to measure Mercian frame at the time, when a lady came into the shop who had just bought a Bickerton.
The Boss was a good salesman, but his side kick, who was serving me, was blessed with a first class degree in irreverence and wit, and when the lady complained that her new Bickerton was 'Creaking', the Boss countered with the statistic "that 80% of new bikes creak, madame...."
My sales lad, then whispered in my ear, that the lady should "ask for one of the 20% that don't"