Big Bear Hub Jamming

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unfortunately water can ingress in to the hubs by means of the motor phase wire if it exits upwards and also via the disc mount screws. My Big Bear install instructions clearly states that the motor wire should exit vertically this I have ignored and fitted the hub so I have a drip loop as well as using the grease method.

Reactions: gordon581 and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
water can get in by the most incredible ways. I usually pack all the connectors, including the battery output with grease.

Reactions: gordon581

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
The most common reason for water in the motor is that somebody took the wheel off and re-fitted it with the cable going upwards instead of downwards. Do you know which way yours went?
My cable has always gone down the fork where it connects halfway down, then continues down into the wheel. I've just looked at the pictures on the website and they are the same. The connection seem quite tight and it has always been dry in there anytime I looked.

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
Unfortunately water can ingress in to the hubs by means of the motor phase wire if it exits upwards and also via the disc mount screws. My Big Bear install instructions clearly states that the motor wire should exit vertically this I have ignored and fitted the hub so I have a drip loop as well as using the grease method.
Any chance you could upload a picture sometime to see how you did that? I'd like to do the same.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor wire should go down past the axle and then back up into the motor otherwise the motor will fill up with water when you use it in the rain.

Reactions: Cyclezee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any chance you could upload a picture sometime to see how you did that? I'd like to do the same.
I will put up a pic tomorrow for you Gordon,
Just a case of rotating the axle 180 degrees in the drop outs as long as the motor cable has enough slack. The hub axle has a slot in it to allow the cable to exit at an angle once the nut is on, this faces down with the cable exiting and then loops back up to its connector.

Last edited:

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
The motor wire should go down past the axle and then back up into the motor otherwise the motor will fill up with water when you use it in the rain.
This is a good point. The last two new E-bikes my father has bought have both had the cable coming out of the top of the axle as supplied by the manufacturer. Both times I have turned the axle through 180 degrees. So suppliers/manufacturers please take note.

D

Deleted member 4366

When I said the motor "will" fill up with water, I was specifically referring to the Bafang BPM. The ones I opened had no sealant inside the axle. Other motors that I opened did have a blob of sealant in the axle where the wire comes through on the inside; however, I still wouldn't be happy to rely on that to save my motor. Obviously, it's better if you can keep the water out by whatever means.

As somebody else said, the threaded holes for the disc are another possible route in on some motors, like Q-series and Bafangs, so I always seal them.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Can anyone recommend a type of aftermarket sealant/grease for applying without taking anything apart? And that won't drip on carpet and hopefully not get brushed onto clothing etc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can confirm d8veh observation - the cable channel on the BPM is not sealed, just greased. Presumably, the designer thought that the little water that gets through will evaporate and the steam will escape via the same route. However, if dirt gets mixed with the rain water, the grease will stick to the dirt and gets washed away by rain water, causing the leak.
Therefore, I recommend as part of routine maintenance, to keep the space around the motor cable clean and pack the channel with new grease.
I think the permanent solution is to seal the cable channel with bathroom sealant.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Photo for you Gordon.DSCF0053.JPG DSCF0053.JPG

C

Cyclezee

I think Gordon must have followed the Woosh Big Bear installation guide as section 4.1 says "You must ensure that the motor cable where it exits the spindle, points upwards (only for this kit)"

I did point this out to Woosh when I installed one of their kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordon581

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2014
Glasgow
Thanks everyone for your advice. Having ridden cycles all my life, I am quite surprised how temperamental ebikes can be. I will give serious thought to your tips to ensure water stays away. I may even give up riding when its heavy rain.

Thanks for the pics Nealh.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's like those instructions to connect your battery to the charger before switching on the charger. I dispair sometimes.

Gordon, ebikes are not temperamental if you install the kit correctly. No need to panic or change anything. Just make sure the cable goes downwards and the motor won't fill up with water again.

C

Cyclezee

Here's idea D8veh,

Maybe you should spend some time writing a manual explaining the correct way to install kits, charge batteries etc., then when threads like this crop up you could simply say, refer to section X, paragraph Y so the you don't have cover the same ground over and over again.

Suggestion for a title D8veh's Bible;)

In a few hundred years or less you could become a Deity, but not just yet, the current incumbent is Flecc:)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

You can find all these things on Youtube already. The only problem is that, like the suppliers' instructions, there's different versions, some of them with totally wrong advice. Nobody would know which ones to believe.

C

Cyclezee

You can find all these things on Youtube already. The only problem is that, like the suppliers' instructions, there's different versions, some of them with totally wrong advice. Nobody would know which ones to believe.
But we would all believe your version of life the universe and everything;)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Reactions: Chalkyx