Bigfish folding ebike

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
Apologies in advance if this one has already been picked up; I've searched the Forum and can't find a reference to this forthcoming 16 in crank drive electric folder.

Not going to rival an electric Brompton in terms of compactness of fold, but the design and funky folding buttons is altogether more modern and there seems to be than a hint of an homage to the Brompton in the general design

http://www.bigfishbike.com/?tn=productview&c=273450&pid=2045139

Can't see a price on their site, but the Gizmag article which is what put me onto it suggests around €2000 with another model coming later without the crank sensor potentially selling for around €1500

One to watch out for?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes I have seen the earlier non e versions of the Bigfish and even saw it in the flesh. The fold seemed strange and a little cumbersome. These have been selling off cheap recently.

Thanks for posting the e version details. Certainly interesting

Regards

Jerry

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
a couple of things do stand out for me as negatives. I do like the modern looking finish mind

1) 2.5ah battery is really very small indeed
2) 24v normally a bit weedy - might be ok on a crank. Have to test that one
3) The battery position is a bit of an afterthought. It does not apear on the fold video and nor is there space for it if you look at the two folded pictures on the front page (bloke getting into cab and bloke wheeling it along on one wheel). Hmm
4) the fold doesnt seem to reduce volume by enough anyway for me to justify its postion in the market as a folder
5) not especially light either (20kg). Particulary given no heavy hub motor and only a small, light 2.5ah battery

maybe I'm just grumpy today !

Kirstin

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Good points Kirstin. My lightest Brompton is 36V, has a 3Ah battery and weighs under 15kg fully loaded with bag and battery attached, or 11.5kg without bag and battery.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

Up to 50km with a 25v 3.5aH battery? Who are they kidding? I don't know any down-hills that long, and even then, you've still got to get back. Maybe they mean when it's in the car.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Clumsy fold for near Brommie money.

I think they might struggle.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I had a good look at Eurobike to find a small nice folder that was lightweight,about 16" wheels,reasonable range and not too expensive....I looked at the Mongoose,Gocycle,R&M,Moulton....I was trying to find a smaller wheeled version of my Kudos Secret bike(20",18kg,36v,8Ah,220w),one that realistically could be folded on a mainline railway station,easily stowed on a train,easily carried....to be honest all of them had various cons which made them unsuitable....some too heavy,some too cumbersome to fold,some way too expensive....in the end I decided that not one ticked every box and my Secret at £725.00 was about as good as it currently gets......the sector needs a better design,produced in volume at a fair price,VW designed a folder to fit in the spare wheel well of a Golf,it folded brilliantly but had no pedals so couldn't be considered a pedelec,but I thought a good starting concept.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Does the Bigfish have any gears? if not it seems to waste ther main benefit of a crank drive.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
nexus 3-speed. Adequate but way too expensive.