bike carriers

farmer

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2015
any ideas on a way to carry my 20kg+ E bike, on a BMW 3 series without a tow ball?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;)

• :D
Reactions: Ultrafunkula

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
any ideas on a way to carry my 20kg+ E bike, on a BMW 3 series without a tow ball?
Remove the battery and carry it inside the car save 2 to 3 kg
Use one of the rear window type carriers .. low cost
Give yourself a hernia every time you put it on the carrier.
Best solution is a ball joint mounted carrier anything else will put your back at risk and potentially damage paintwork

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
This is a good question and one I've been pondering myself. So is it possible to carry an ebike, say an average sized eMTB, on one of those rear window type carriers with battery (and perhaps wheels) removed to reduce weight?

Also on a related point - and without wanting to hijack the thread - is it possible to fit an eMTB (Haibike, KTM etc) into a small/medium sized hatchback - with seats folded down and wheels removed obviously. I have a Honda Civic and I asked this question on a recent visit to an ebike shop and they said it's perfectly doable but I must admit I have my doubts.

farmer

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2015
I may have discovered a suitable carrier-
Hollywood Racks Express 2 Two Bike Trunk Rack (Black
what do we think?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This is a good question and one I've been pondering myself. So is it possible to carry an ebike, say an average sized eMTB, on one of those rear window type carriers with battery (and perhaps wheels) removed to reduce weight?

Also on a related point - and without wanting to hijack the thread - is it possible to fit an eMTB (Haibike, KTM etc) into a small/medium sized hatchback - with seats folded down and wheels removed obviously. I have a Honda Civic and I asked this question on a recent visit to an ebike shop and they said it's perfectly doable but I must admit I have my doubts.
... In earlier times i carried 3 and 4 bikes on one of those high window carriers on a Renault scenic . Now they were a collection of men's, women and children bikes , non electric but cumulatively heavier than any single ebike. Only problem potential scratching of car paintwork. .. so weight not a problem. Using the rear wiper would be!
The battery and the intuvia display unit should be removed before bike is mounted on carrier, and maybe plastic bag or tape placed over electric connection. Loosing a battery at 90 mph would be a lovely projectile.
I don't see why a bike wouldn't fit into a hatchback mini SUV with the front wheel removed and maybe the handlebars rotated. Don't think it would be necessary to remove back wheel also . Those MTBs will have the quick release wheels so easy job.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

I put my Scott emtb in the back of an A1 with just the front wheel removed.but the passenger seat had to be tipped up and I damaged the car paintwork trying to get it out on my own. Won't do it again..

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I put a wide sheet of hardboard for the bike to glide on, then took the front wheel off. It made it easy to get it in and out, better than struggling.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the replies. That's useful to know. It'll make trips to the bike shop for servicing a whole lot easier and it'll allow me take the bike out to explore places I otherwise wouldn't be able to get to. I'll just remove the front wheel and sling down a tarpaulin to protect the car interior and stop it sliding around too much.

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks

Got a 28" wheel Dutch ebike into a Renault Clio hatchback recently, with the front wheel removed, no problem☺.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Over the years all my cars have had rear tow bars / electrics, so i still have the carriers for use when i change cars. In the meantime, i bought a thule raceway, not cheap but just as quick and easy as having a tow bar, fits both cars as well. i bought the two bike carrier one for weight / size.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I may have discovered a suitable carrier-
Hollywood Racks Express 2 Two Bike Trunk Rack (Black
what do we think?
I have used a Thule Europower tow-ball rack for several years and can recommend it. Before going down the tow-ball rack route I had intended to use a Hollywood 2-bike rear door type rack which I already owned for non-electric bike transport. I was a bit unsure about this so I contacted Hollywood who strongly advised me that the rack was not suitable for carrying ebikes. They also advised that they did not at that time make a rack suitalbe for the purpose.

Hope this helps.

Jim

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Lister

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2016
Norfolk
I have a Mercedes estate and my fat bike will fit in without removing wheels,but I don't like doing it because of potential damage to the car, bike and me!
So I have bought one of these with a fat bike adaptor, not cheap but reckoned to be among the best.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?32999&gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZz_Kg0MYj2U0y8ma7KOH8NE224R5IPuiSD_7WWNysFEaAoxC8P8HAQ

The car already had a removable tow bar fitted for towing a boat and a small trailer.
I have not used the rack yet but it appears to be very strongly made.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have a Mercedes estate and my fat bike will fit in without removing wheels,but I don't like doing it because of potential damage to the car, bike and me!
So I have bought one of these with a fat bike adaptor, not cheap but reckoned to be among the best.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?32999&gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZz_Kg0MYj2U0y8ma7KOH8NE224R5IPuiSD_7WWNysFEaAoxC8P8HAQ

The car already had a removable tow bar fitted for towing a boat and a small trailer.
I have not used the rack yet but it appears to be very strongly made.
The Thule unit I have is similar to that and will accept two ebikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
OP doesn't have a tow bar.......So how do these help him?

I agree with you a tow bar and rack are best (i have one) but OP doesn't and I doubt he wants to spend a grand going that route

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
OP doesn't have a tow bar.......So how do these help him?

I agree with you a tow bar and rack are best (i have one) but OP doesn't and I doubt he wants to spend a grand going that route
.. i understand, but he might well spend more on chiropractice fees , lugging a heavyweight bike

• :D
Reactions: Crockers