Bike floor stand recommendations ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Im looking for an outside multiple bike stand, must be strong and up to the job.
can anyone recommend one ?

I would think minimum of 4 bikes, maybe 6.

Ive looked at several but some seem too close together to fit the number of bikes they are made for and others you arent able to fix to the ground.

Any ideas ? Or would I be better to get one made specially ?

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks hopper but as its modular I dont think its going to be up to the job in multiples of maybe 6.
I need something heavier, stronger, for outside.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Any ideas ? Or would I be better to get one made specially ?
Erm ... how about sweet-talking your local college or whatever it is that they have nowadays for technically-minded young persons and seeing how they feel about a real-world design-and build exercise?

Alternatively, assuming that functionality's more important to you than aesthetics, anybody who's handy with a welding set should be able to knock you up something which will do the job for not a lot of money ...

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Erm ... how about sweet-talking your local college or whatever it is that they have nowadays for technically-minded young persons and seeing how they feel about a real-world design-and build exercise?

Alternatively, assuming that functionality's more important to you than aesthetics, anybody who's handy with a welding set should be able to knock you up something which will do the job for not a lot of money ...
Hmmm....what I need is a very handy man......Im beginning to realise they arent just useful for removing frightening spiders......;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
If you know someone good with cement then I would go the bollard route. This style are my personal favourite.

If you are going the diy route then I would get an old scaffold pole and rent out a pipe bender, bend it however you want, pour concrete into the middle if you want it more heavy.

Hydraulic Pipe Bender 1/2in-2in, Pipe Bender - 7432011598 - erento.co.uk

I would be careful when shopping for one, many stands/racks are intended for indoor use so weather badly or just aren't strong enough.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I certainly think DIY with scaffold poles would be the strongest, and hoppers link leads to some funky ideas but probably a bit OTT for what I need !

I think I will just buy the strongest I can find, ready made, off ebay or amazon, and see how they last for now.
Thanks everyone :cool: