Bike for a taller lady

Dangermouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
You forgot the MOST important point, "do I like riding it"?
Of course - that's what test rides are for ;) But I'd like to have a shortlist to try out - saves time travelling to shops only to find they don't have what I'm looking for.

.... I m starting to sound like a cracked record but the Motus meets all of the above.
I'll definitely be checking out the Motus - but I do have concerns around the frame size. I haven't managed to find a geometry table for the Motus, but assuming 46cm refers to the seat tube length that's 11cm shorter than the bike I currently ride. Current bike also has 15cm of seat post showing above the tube....meaning the the Motus seatpost probably needs to be at least 36cm long. Also if I'm raising the seat that much I'll probably need to raise the handlebars too.

I would not be concerned about flexing on the single tubed step through... That is the model I have, the argument about flexing is more theoretical than real. A twin tubed bike will be lighter, not stronger as all these bikes must meet safety standards.
That's useful to know - thanks. Weight is definitely one of my criteria: it needs to go onto the motorhome carrier so a certain amount of lifting will be necessary. I may have to compromise on comfort Vs practicality. Learning lots here :)

The Motus and similar dutch style are excellent on tarmac , cement and gravel, and ok on short grass , . They are not mountain bikes so comfort trump's performance. They are designed as sturdy, reliable road transport and come with all the accessories needed Inc lights carrier mudguards and locks.
I don't need (or want) a mountain bike...but we do go on unpaved canal towpaths and riverside paths (in dry weather!) occasionally. I guess though that if my current hybrid can cope then then I should be ok. I'm not too worried about the lights/locks/mudguards as I can use the ones from my current bike (though I'd be nice if they were integrated).

Its been really useful to chat on here - challenged some of my preconceptions, made me think of other options and understand the implications of certain decisions. Everything's a compromise in the end ;)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The dutch style step through are flexible with sizing as everything is adjustable. With hybrid you need correct size, if existing seat post is to short the frame is probably to short.

Check out Rise Mueller Tinker not cheap but compact and one size does fit all. See video on tube from Vancouver island.

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Ok so a couple of months later and I've had the opportunity to test ride a few bikes :D The stepthrough style is currently top of the list so far: I just love the upright riding position and swept back handlebars - its so comfy compared to my current hybrid.

The top two contenders so far are the Raleigh and the Gazelle Orange.

Raleigh - tried out a medium size Captus with hub gears as they didn't have the Motus or any large frames in stock. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was almost big enough so the 50cm frame should be fine (looks like Danidl was absolutely right ;)). Got a good couple of miles test ride including a medium sized hill - loved it!

Gazelle Orange - the one I rode was an Impulse powered one. To be honest I preferred the Bosch control system and display. But you can buy the bike with the Bosch system so that's not a problem at all. Could only ride around a car park on this one so I couldn't really get the same feeling but trying to be objective, it was a good a bike and very comfy. Shame it only comes in boring colours.

I think the Raleigh is currently the favourite - not because it was a better ride (they were about the same I think) but as a Nottingham girl I grew up with Raleighs so there's a bit of nostalgia there ;) Also the shop that does the Raleigh is much closer to home.

I think I'll probably go for the Motus rather than the Captus - I just need to work out now whether to go for the 10 speed derailleur or 8 speed hub gear version. I'm not that familiar with hub gears - the last bike I had with hub gears had the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed ones. I guess they've moved on a bit since then ;)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Ok so a couple of months later and I've had the opportunity to test ride a few bikes :D The stepthrough style is currently top of the list so far: I just love the upright riding position and swept back handlebars - its so comfy compared to my current hybrid.

Raleigh - tried out a medium size Captus with hub gears as they didn't have the Motus or any large frames in stock. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was almost big enough so the 50cm frame should be fine (looks like Danidl was absolutely right ;)). Got a good couple of miles test ride including a medium sized hill - loved it!

Gazelle Orange - the one I rode was an Impulse powered one. To be honest I preferred the Bosch control system and display. But you can buy the bike with the Bosch system so that's not a problem at all. Could only ride around a car park on this one so I couldn't really get the same feeling but trying to be objective, it was a good a bike and very comfy. Shame it only comes in boring colours.

I think the Raleigh is currently the favourite - not because it was a better ride (they were about the same I think) but as a Nottingham girl I grew up with Raleighs so there's a bit of nostalgia there ;) Also the shop that does the Raleigh is much closer to home.

I think I'll probably go for the Motus rather than the Captus - I just need to work out now whether to go for the 10 speed derailleur or 8 speed hub gear version. I'm not that familiar with hub gears - the last bike I had with hub gears had the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed ones. I guess they've moved on a bit since then ;)
Hi DM
We've a Motus, a Captus (on sale with £150 off = £1600) and a possible new contender for you to try, our Roller, all available for test rides in New Mills - a distance may be worth travelling to compare all three in the same place and on some local hills. And it's nice in the Peaks, on a day out.

Sorry to complicate things! Here's a picture of Roller which we can add swept dutch style handle bars to, if you'd like...

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Gaz,

Hi DM

Do try the 705Torque if you are thinking of the Raleigh step through bikes. It's quite rare for people who have tried both to end up buying the Raleigh!

IMG_4126.JPG

All the best, David

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Sorry but as I mentioned before, I really want a crank motor and 700c wheels are a must. Also the frame on the Torque is only 46.5cm - the 46cm Raleigh was almost big enough (ie. it was a bit too small) so whilst I could probably raise the seat, get a longer seatpost etc. I'd rather get something with larger frame.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

Hubs gears allow you change when stationery, very useful when you stop suddenly. Also lower maintenance than derailuers. If you like Bosch drive try Shimano STEPs there is not much between them. Some of STEPs bikes come with Di2 hub drives which give electronic shifting and option to use like automatic. If shifting gears is not your thing then this maybe way to go.

Last edited:

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Hubs gears allow you change when stationery, very useful when you stop suddenly. Also lower maintenance than derailuers.
I see the comment about maintenance mentioned a lot about hub gears, but I wonder really how important this actually is? I've been riding bikes with derailleur gears for years and maintenance has never been an issue. Ok the chain may need replacing more often on derailleurs, but the £150 difference in price buys you a lot of replacement chains. Good point about changing gears when you've stopped in the wrong one - that's annoying when it happens, but its almost second nature now to change down when coming to an intentional stop. The other times, its just a case of stand up and push down to get going again ;)

Some of STEPs bikes come with Di2 hub drives which give electronic shifting and option to use like automatic. If shifting gears is not your thing then this maybe way to go.
Actually we saw the Raleigh Strada with automatic gears in the shop at the weekend.....and spent the next few minutes wondering why someone would want to buy an automatic bike? I can't see the attraction really: changing gears isn't difficult, it doesn't even require an awful lot of thought.

I might be wrong, but I think that the derailleur will give a wider range of gearing. That's something I need to check out, but if its correct then I'll probably go for the derailleur and keep the £150.

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't see the attraction really: changing gears isn't difficult, it doesn't even require an awful lot of thought.
As you said, changing gear is not difficult.
The problem is some customers lack the skill to look after their gear shifter and cannot adjust the indexing themselves. They may find themselves on the road with a poorly adjusted shifter.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
by the way, I have the Woosh Crusa that would suit a tall lady.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

It is a straightforward e-bike, with rear hub motor and 13AH battery.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If C700 wheels are a must we do have a few ex Demo very low usage Reise and Müller bikes still for sale at a 25% discount that may fit the bill.

All the best, David

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Sorry but as I mentioned before, I really want a crank motor and 700c wheels are a must. Also the frame on the Torque is only 46.5cm - the 46cm Raleigh was almost big enough
My Whyte is a crank drive and has 700C wheels. It's a great bike. But I (we - it's my wife's really) also have a Wisper 705SE - step through. I'm a tad over 6'4" and the Wisper is fine for me in all dimensions. Having had the benefit of riding both I can really appreciate the difference now between crank and hub, and I get the Wisper as a particularly good bit of kit. I wouldn't go mountaineering on it as that's not what it's for, but given what you're interested in, I wouldn't dismiss it, at least not without trying one.

Were you a bit closer, you'd be welcome to have a good go on both our bikes. The 705SE is seven years old and the Torque is a different beast entirely, but it'd get you an idea.

Gaz

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I see the comment about maintenance mentioned a lot about hub gears, but I wonder really how important this actually is? I've been riding bikes with derailleur gears for years and maintenance has never been an issue. Ok the chain may need replacing more often on derailleurs, but the £150 difference in price buys you a lot of replacement chains. Good point about changing gears when you've stopped in the wrong one - that's annoying when it happens, but its almost second nature now to change down when coming to an intentional stop. The other times, its just a case of stand up and push down to get going again ;)

Actually we saw the Raleigh Strada with automatic gears in the shop at the weekend.....and spent the next few minutes wondering why someone would want to buy an automatic bike? I can't see the attraction really: changing gears isn't difficult, it doesn't even require an awful lot of thought.

I might be wrong, but I think that the derailleur will give a wider range of gearing. That's something I need to check out, but if its correct then I'll probably go for the derailleur and keep the £150.
.. I agree with you about the derailleurs. They have a wider range, the lifetime of the chains and cogs might be less , but so what? Both these are really cheap. I have the same cogs and chain on a bike ... Not used much but 40 years old!!! If you are strong then even starting off in the wrong gear and with electrical assistance is no big deal, particularly in the Bosch as the motor kicks in at about 15 degrees of rotation of the pedals , A hub gear might be worth it in an urban setting.but 150 is real money.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Derailleur parts might be cheap, but labour to fit isn't if you don't have DIY skills.

If you are good at using gears and are not doing lot city ride with stop starts, derailleurs are fine. In case of my wife who is not great with gears a hub would be better. Been caught in wrong gear a few times had stop then walk up steep slope, with hub she could've changed down and rode up slope. I may yet fit a Di2 hub.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk