Bike for a taller rider

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Having sold my Alien bike over a year ago, I really do fancy getting a new electric bike. I have a budget of around £1,000-£1,500 and need a road legal bike with a 21"+ frame and a throttle. I'd rather buy a ready made bike than fiddle around with a kit, but just haven't seen anything suitable that has arrived on the market to fit these requirements.

Any helpful suggestions welcome.........

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The seat tube length isn't always a good indicator of size. I've had both the Wisper 905 and 906, they have the same 20" size but the 906 is considerably bigger. It does need a decent length seat post adding to it but is much more suitable for a tall rider, the 906 is unfortunately I think outside your budget.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
My bike would fit you, is road legal, well within your budget but doesn't have a throttle. Is a throttle a definite must?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Possibly not as helpful as it doesn't meet your criteria when it comes to pricing, but the eZee Torq is a good bike for taller riders eZee Torq Mk3 - electric bikes and conversion kits.

This month we are offering £100 discount to forum members bringing the price down to £1695.

You don't sound keen on a conversion kit, but it may be a solution for you if you find a large framed non powered bike that you really like.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I would warn against a wisper if you have long legs as with the standard seat post at its maximum permitted extension there is a risk of frame breakage at the clamp.

A wisper with an extended seat post is a good bike, but unless you get an expensive sprung extended post you will lose the benefit of the sprung seat if you just fit a long seat post. .

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Thanks all for the replies. I have to admit I'm a bit gutted that things have not moved on in this area. I only check into pedelecs every 3-6 months or so now to see if there have been any developments, but am generally disappointed :(. I am 6'5" with a bad back as a result of spinal tumours, my ordinary bike is a 23" frame with 700c wheels and I would ideally like something similar in electric format. The throttle option would be essential as I sometimes get a level of pain that can make cycling back from places very uncomfortable after a period of me not moving.

I do like the Wisper range & would stretch my budget to buy one, but having test ridden a 905 a couple of years ago, I have to admit that at 6'5" I found it a bit like riding a childs bike and it was just too small for someone of my size, I don't think the Alpino is sufficiently bigger in size to make a massive difference in that regard. The Kudos range looks pretty neat, but they just don't look big enough for me. I really did like my Alien Gents Special II & in some ways wish I'd kept it. The Alien Aurora presents a possibility, but I just don't want to use an illegal bike on the road, so that's just not an option for me.

Perhaps a further wait for the market to develop would be the best option....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
maybe consider a kit for bike you are happy with, or look at a German bike as they come in many sizes....

C

Cyclezee

I'm sorry Rustic and I understand your disappointment, but 'off the peg' electric bikes with throttles and very large frames just don't exist (no doubt somebody will correct me if I am wrong).

It should not be too difficult to find a non powered bike to suit you and have a conversion kit fitted for you if you don't feel up to it self, and still stay within budget.

We would be happy to help you if you decided on an eZee kit.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oo'ps forgot about the throttle. I have a wonderful specialized Crosstrail Ltd disc bike with a kit and its a very refined fast bike. Think something like this may be your best option for comfort and a decent riding experience

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks all for the replies. I have to admit I'm a bit gutted that things have not moved on in this area. I only check into pedelecs every 3-6 months or so now to see if there have been any developments, but am generally disappointed :(. I am 6'5" with a bad back as a result of spinal tumours, my ordinary bike is a 23" frame with 700c wheels and I would ideally like something similar in electric format. The throttle option would be essential as I sometimes get a level of pain that can make cycling back from places very uncomfortable after a period of me not moving.

I do like the Wisper range & would stretch my budget to buy one, but having test ridden a 905 a couple of years ago, I have to admit that at 6'5" I found it a bit like riding a childs bike and it was just too small for someone of my size, I don't think the Alpino is sufficiently bigger in size to make a massive difference in that regard. The Kudos range looks pretty neat, but they just don't look big enough for me. I really did like my Alien Gents Special II & in some ways wish I'd kept it. The Alien Aurora presents a possibility, but I just don't want to use an illegal bike on the road, so that's just not an option for me.

Perhaps a further wait for the market to develop would be the best option....
Hi Rustic, thanks for the kind words, if you get the opportunity do try the 906Alpino, it is a huge bike by comparison to the 905se or sel.

All the best

David

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Last edited:

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I might take a closer look at the 906 Alpino, I had discounted this on paper thinking it would be too small, but maybe a test ride is the only way to judge this for sure.

Not sure about the availability of these bikes though. Are there significant differences between the 2011 & 2012 versions? Ebikesdirect has the 2011 version in stock but is showing as out of stock for the (presumably) current model.

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated......

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Rustic,there are so many of the Kudos range that are suitable for a taller guy,as stated previously the Duke is only suitable to a tall guy. I have sold City,Liberty,Tourer and the larger frame Safari all to tall guys. Just find some way to have a test ride or come to our test days.
At this time of the year many importers are running down their stocks in preparation to new models due out in 2013,Kudos has 4 new bikes due out in 2013 but our current stocks should satisfy most requirements.
Dave
Kudoscycles

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Rustic,there are so many of the Kudos range that are suitable for a taller guy,as stated previously the Duke is only suitable to a tall guy. I have sold City,Liberty,Tourer and the larger frame Safari all to tall guys. Just find some way to have a test ride or come to our test days.
At this time of the year many importers are running down their stocks in preparation to new models due out in 2013,Kudos has 4 new bikes due out in 2013 but our current stocks should satisfy most requirements.
Dave
Kudoscycles
Hi Dave,

I accept tha the Duke is suitable for a taller rider, but taste wise it's just not really what I'm looking for, but appreciate the suggestion.

As for the other bikes, I have real trouble in accepting that any bike with a 20" frame or less is suitable for a man of 6'5" with a dodgy back! I appreciate that frame measurement of this kind alone does not tell the whole story, but I have ridden many bikes of that kind of size for the odd day or two and would not want to do so on a regular basis. Now if the Kudos King came with a 22"+ frame and adjustable handlebar option, then I admit I'd be extremely tempted.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Dave,

I accept tha the Duke is suitable for a taller rider, but taste wise it's just not really what I'm looking for, but appreciate the suggestion.

As for the other bikes, I have real trouble in accepting that any bike with a 20" frame or less is suitable for a man of 6'5" with a dodgy back! I appreciate that frame measurement of this kind alone does not tell the whole story, but I have ridden many bikes of that kind of size for the odd day or two and would not want to do so on a regular basis. Now if the Kudos King came with a 22"+ frame and adjustable handlebar option, then I admit I'd be extremely tempted.
If I had a dodgy back I would try riding a bike like the Kudos City,there are many similar to that style. I personally find I am more comfortable on these Dutch style bikes,I find that I am leaning forward too much on bikes like the King.
Dave
Kudoscycles

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
If I had a dodgy back I would try riding a bike like the Kudos City,there are many similar to that style. I personally find I am more comfortable on these Dutch style bikes,I find that I am leaning forward too much on bikes like the King.
Dave
Kudoscycles
I personally prefer a more conventional shape of bike that is appropriately sized and in a design that leans towards comfort, I find my 23" Giant Cypress with quite an upright seating position, pretty good in this regard:

Giant Bicycles Archive

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
For anyone else who has a difficulty in this area, here is a frame sizing guide from Evans Cycles applicable for all different types of bikes:

Bike Sizing | Help | Evans Cycles

As a matter of interest, the guide recommends a frame size of 23"-25" for someone 6'5" in height. I would seriously question the suitability of anything smaller, after all, surely riding the wrong size bike would potentially inflict damage to knees etc..., I look forward to a time when a good selection of models are available in a wide range of frame sizes, but fear I may have to wait for quite some time yet...

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
The problem is we are not all built the same ,and in marketing sales will be targeted towards Mr Average.. so really size of frame depends a lot on you leg size, i am 6ft, but have 33ins.ins.leg i ride Ezee Forza 26"wheels with seat pillar at max. normal bike 25" frame with 700cc a friend same hight 30 ins. leg. so at your size i could only assume that your legs are longer , as stated most of the larger frames either Dutch or German maybe Giant could have answer....!!