Bike light: How many lumens?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm after a bike light that is better than the ' be seen ' type, but also doesn't fry people in my path.
It needs to light up fairly well maintained roads and cycle paths, so i don't need to pick out every stone and pebble.
Considering those mega lumen lights cost a fortune, what is a sensible lumen level to aim for?

Would this be suitable?
MEGA BRIGHT CREE 200 LUMENS MOUNTAIN BIKE LIGHT TORCH on eBay (end time 13-Feb-11 14:50:28 GMT)
Don't wanna be paying any more than £40-£50

P.S. Check out the name of the batteries that come with the light. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the product :D

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
They are pretty bright and if you do a search I think you will find some info on the forum.

I checked them out before and I think it was the run time on one cell that put me off.

I use a Cateye brand on the front with three small AAA cells that has lasted all winter so far on one charge but then I live and cycle across Cambridge so its reasonably well lit and very cycle friendly :p

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep thats a good deal. Notice the run time of 1.5hrs though.

Regards

Jerry

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, a good budget choice from DealExtreme, a lot go for those. Remember to factor in a two cell 18650 battery charger and at least two batteries. Always have both charged and use one as a backup.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
You shouldnt really need two bar lights with LED technology, the spread is usually quite even. If you do want to run two light i'd highly recommend helmet mounting one of them, then you get "light where you look" for example around a corner that turns back on itself.

I have two Blackburn Flea flashing "to be seen by" lights on my bars, they have a 40 lumen overdrive which runs for just an hours, both of them on overdrive is just enough for some light off-road in unlit areas, so long as you're happy going steady. I use those on my commute as they're good all-rounders and USB rechargeable in work.

I also have a 900 lumen HID Lupine Edison for my MTB, which lets me ride at full speed in unlit areas, but its way too powerful for the road and dazzles drivers (no dip).

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Those are really tempting Frank... 2000 lumens, that'd be close to daylight :D

The rear light looks good too.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Some juicy looking lights Frank.
I did tinker with the idea of running some lights off the bike battery.
Then i thought that if the battery conks out, then i'll be left riding in the pitch black :(

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
lights

Just use a couple off 7.2 volt model car battery's the lights only use about 20 watts

Frank

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Some juicy looking lights Frank.
I did tinker with the idea of running some lights off the bike battery.
Then i thought that if the battery conks out, then i'll be left riding in the pitch black :(
Always have a small backup light of some sort with your tools, i consider that essential when riding at night.:) Petzl Zipka headtorch for me, mounts to the handlebars or just about anywhere you like on a self retracting cable.