Bike locks

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Hi, The Mr's and I are fairly new to lecky bikes but after spending out the money for two new ones, I'm a bit wary when we go out anywhere, about leaving them unattended with just the basic locks we used on our push bikes. I understand that no lock would stop the determined, but would appreciate any advice as to what's considered a decent lock/cable to secure two bikes together.
Thanks for any help.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you go to Amsterdam you will see that all the bikes have frame locks. It is very practical and I use it even when the bike is in sight and I have just popped into a shop for some bread or whatever. I have a pluggable chain and attach the bike to something solid whenever it is out of sight.

As my new bike is much better looking than the first one I am adding a second lock system for when I am away from it. A D lock with a cable to attach everything which can be taken off the bike: front wheel, seat etc.

Take a photo of your bikes locked up as proof to show the insurance man what the eventual thief had to overcome.

Chain your bikes together, it is much harder for a couple of low lifes to pick up 50 bulky kg than just one bike at a time.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I understand that no lock would stop the determined, but would appreciate any advice as to what's considered a decent lock/cable to secure two bikes together.
I don't think locking a bike to anything other than a fixed object (bike rack, fence railing etc) is going to provide any sort of real security so you really need to be looking for locks for each bike rather than something that will join the two.

As kangaroo says, many locks are sold with "sold secure" ratings. If your bikes are insured, there may be a requirement for a certain level of lock before you can make a claim (and you'll certainly need to be locking to a fixed object when you're out and about). No lock will stand up to attack with something like an angle grinder but those sold as "gold" level locks are supposed to withstand 5 minutes of sustained attack, probably enough to deter opportunists if not professional thieves.

I think quite a few folk here like the Hiplok which, although heavy, can be worn around your waist/hips while you're riding.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hiplok-ORIGINAL-V1-50-Wearable-Chain-Bike-Cycling-Lock-Silver-Sold-Secure-/331723686402?var=540838163549&clk_rvr_id=1087237241622&rmvSB=true

At £50 (cheaper here than most!) it may seem pricey, but I always feel comfortable that I have left my pride and joy secured with such a substantial lock. 85cms long, sold secure silver rating, but most of all the fact that although it weighs 2 kilos you just forget you're carting around that weight when it's comfortably around your waist. You genuinely don't notice it.
Simple but clever. Guess that's why it's pricey.
Add relatively cheap cable(s) for added deterrent factor if you wish.

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
Worth adding that datag http://www.datatag.co.uk/ might help to prove a deterrent and also help with the insurance. Can also be used on batteries which since these are often the major cost elements on a Pedelec could also deter.

D

Deleted member 4366

One of these is relatively cheap, easy to carry, not too heavy and it will defeat all the tools that a casual bike thief has. I've been using this type of lock on my motorbikes and electric bikes for over 20 years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Barrier-Scooter-Bicycle-Armoured-OF146-Spiral-Cable-Lock-1-5M-Blue-/401052081376?hash=item5d60911ce0:g:6E0AAOSwwPhWj5Xt

How to carry it:

You should always lock your bike to something. If there isn't anything, you can lock two bikes together, which prevents walking and riding your bikes away.

colin79666

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2015
Midlothian
I have the Abus Granit D lock with cable. Solid Secure Gold rated to comply with my insurance t&cs and doubt a thief would get through it without an angle grinder that would sure make a lot of noise!

They are a total bargin IMO: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-london-granit-53-230mm-d-lock-with-cable/

I always have the D lock with me that goes through the frame and the immovable object (bike rack or high post) as the bracket it comes with does a nice job of holding the lock on the down tube when not needed.

When I'm actually planning on leaving my bike, say at work, then I throw the Cobra cable in my pannier bag and use it to keep the front wheel secured when parked up.

Sure a D lock weighs a bit but with a decent bracket you don't have to lug it around separately and you soon don't notice it really. You would soon notice if your bike got nicked however.

• Useful
Reactions: Twinkleten

irishwhip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 2, 2016
london
i have an onguard pitbull+akita Ulock and cable combo. its pretty cheap and rated as sold secure gold. basic common sense also helps, like locking it somewhere visible and CCTV covered

D

Deleted member 17694

I have a Magnum Plus MagSolid U-Lock (with cable), it has a SoldSecure gold rating. Well made and very easy to use, I got the 230mm version, comes with five keys and one of them has a light. Was £54 but I've seen lower prices since.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I have a few locks but this is my favourite because you can loop it through itself to something solid then attach via wheels e.t.c. To your bike OR bikes http://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/8156EURDPS. Comes with 4 keys, it's around £47 plus in most places incl Amazon, cheapest I have seen it with free delivery for £33 is here where I got mine from http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Masterlock 8156Eurdps 3520190922588 Braided Steel Cable 1.5M X 20Mm With Mini U Bar.

Really solid with thick cable so a good deterrent and hopefully send the thief off for something easier. The flexibility of use in attaching to things and length was the winner for me!