Bike Parking

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
There is a huge Halfords super store near me which covers two floors of a warehouse type building.

The ground floor sells car and camping equipment, the upper, of equally large area, sells e-bikes, road bikes, kids bikes, mountain bikes, town bikes plus all kinds of cycle equipmet, accessories and clothing.

Naturally, there is car parking.

Unfortunately, in spite of the fact that the store sells some of the best cycle lock available, they have made no provision for cycle parking :rolleyes:

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
In the words of my big yellow hero Holmer Simpson.....Doh!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Amazing, isn't it.

I am starting to rate local buildings by the amount of provision they make for bikes, and the results so far are poor. Big local hospital, couple of bike racks, in good view, but in the open(!) Small local hospital, no bike provisions at all. Brand new 'health clinic' building, none whatsoever.

I shall have a look at my local giant Halfords when I'm next passing, but I don't hold out much hope..

A

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Me thinks mayhap the project management for all parking at this place of business was done by a male of the species....*ducks and runs for cover* ;)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
There's a new bike shop that I ride past in Deptford, part of a new apartment block. When I saw the ads I thought that's great as I can stop off on the way home, but I never have as there's no bike racks. :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I shall have a look at my local giant Halfords when I'm next passing, but I don't hold out much hope..

A
My nearest Halfords is the worst of all round my area. They scrapped the rack they once had which anyway was one of the useless types that buckle front wheels, and the only place to lock to at all is a fire escape with "keep clear" warnings.

Long ago the staff used to tell customers to bring their bikes in for security and left a generous area inside the doors for them, but that's all been filled with displays since so there's nowhere now.

As the final unfriendly touch, the entire cycle department has been moved to an upper floor with two flights of stairs to carry bikes up and down when necessary.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
This place always impresses me. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but more than 4,000 cycles parked in one place is a rare sight anywhere and completely unknown in the UK.

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
We've got a really active Cycle Campaign group here in Chesterfield. They scour the planning applications to ensure that cycle routes and bike stands are installed and kept useable.
Our brand new football ground has two cycle stand areas, a small one at the home end and a larger one at the away end so if you're coming up on your bike from Torquay on 11th December, don't worry, there's somewhere to park the cycle.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Swindon Borough Council have just opened a town centre secure park for bikes. 24 hour, CCTV and room for 100 bikes, all for a one-off payment of £10 for a swipe card.

Here

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
This place always impresses me. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but more than 4,000 cycles parked in one place is a rare sight anywhere and completely unknown in the UK.
Looks good - but how would the female of the species ever find their bike again (apart from the fact that they would take up three spaces for one bike).
Touché Morag. :D ;)

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Impressive to be sure, but why is it I find it curiously depressing? All a bit too much perhaps?

There's been the odd rare occasion in the past when I've neglected to note which bay and floor I've used to park my car and then had to do a tour to find it. Imagine if I did this in that place with a bike! :eek:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
My nearest Halfords....
As the final unfriendly touch, the entire cycle department has been moved to an upper floor with two flights of stairs to carry bikes up and down when necessary.
Sounds suspiciously like West Hendon to me, unless they're ALL like that.

But if ever you see a fat bloke on a black Wisper passing by...

A.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep, just like all the Halfords in my immediate area...no where to secure your bike, so I end up wheeling mine into the store! Last time I did it I left a muddy trail up the stairs into the bike dept, none of the staff mentioned it :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Yep, just like all the Halfords in my immediate area...no where to secure your bike, so I end up wheeling mine into the store! Last time I did it I left a muddy trail up the stairs into the bike dept, none of the staff mentioned it :D
I did that once, a 905 with the battery in it is bloody heavy to drag up there. I'm not doing it again!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
The West Hendon Halfords has a passenger lift, into which you would NOT get a bike plus a passenger.

I tend to use the stairs anyway, which are hard enough when you're a) 120kg and b) lacking in the leg department.

(Are ALL Halfords bike departments upstairs, then?)

A

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
My local Halfords is all bikes upstairs (ex bike hut) but still no cycle parking facility. I use the Invalid Parking signs.
On the same large retail park only Homebase and Sainsburys have cycle racks. I can usually find something more secure & much closer to the entrance though.;)

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
In central London there has been a reduction in parking bays to make space for the Barclays bikes. Distinct lack of joined up thinking there.