Bike Stands

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks, I'll have a look at that, not sure if it's possible though with the stand I have as I'd need to clamp the plastic part (that I fear under hose clamp pressure will snap), to the metal tube.

I shall try this as I do have 99.9% IPA that I use to clean the bed on my printer, good idea, thanks!
I was envisioning the jubilee clip going round the metal tube so it cannot slide down into the plastic, presuming it's the vertical tube that is slipping.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I was envisioning the jubilee clip going round the metal tube so it cannot slide down into the plastic, presuming it's the vertical tube that is slipping.
OK, I see what you mean, attach jubilee clamp where I've marked in yellow (or further down tube for more height) or so it's TIGHT against vertical tube, this should then stop slippage, will probably need to be careful and not over-tighten the clip when wrenching tight

Thanks, will give it a go, don't have a clip large enough so will need to order one

Attachments

Reactions: jimriley

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I tried the stand again lifting up ebike with help, after fiddling with stock clamp it will hold ebike in place vertically! I'd like it maybe 6 inches higher so will try that too at some point.

So it will take 24.5kg (weight of my bike) as it's rated for 30kg however not going to try the max by adding in the 4.5kg (52V 17.5Ah) battery pack.

I have to admit I'm slightly nervous it will decide to collapse in the middle of night damaging the rear hub so I've placed an old white chair with old cushions on it underneath rear wheel just in case...

I plan on leaving the ebike in the stand for a cpl of weeks and will report back if it does break anything or collapses....

Attachments

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Max load 25kg. £30 at this moment with extra torque wrench. Try code ADLCPLX20 for 20% discount.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks to my metalwork teacher at school, oxyacetylene torch welding of steel I could do, if I had one, alternatively big nuts and bolts could form something sturdy... but I'm not convinced that any of the clamps I've found thus far are suitably strong enough - clamps with jaws the right shape to hold bikes are plastic, not steel, and none seem to open wide enough for my particular bike's frame tubing. I'll stick to my ceiling hoist for now. If the jaws of this "Rusta" opened wide enough, I'd screw it to the end of a bench, or bolt it through a big piece of wood and clamp that to a bench. It's rated for 30kg allegedly, and the bike wouldn't have far to fall, if it's a low bench.

This looks identical to my cheapo Amazon job. The problem is not the weight of an ebike (just take the battery off) The steel tubes lock together with plastic moldings with tightening clamps as above. Unfortuanetly, after no time at all, all the joints stop been completely lockable resulting in the bike been easly moved (though still safe to work on) Some of the gaps which should tighten up end up been completly closed meaning you can't fully tighten it up. I tried filing down the plastic to make the gap bigger but it wasn't really the answer.
My advice would be to look for a stand with metal joints as I think all the very cheap ones might have this fundamentle plastic problem.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
A few bits of timber, plywood gussets, half an hour with a Makita will build a base and upright to which a clamp of your choice can be fitted.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I tried the stand again lifting up ebike with help, after fiddling with stock clamp it will hold ebike in place vertically! I'd like it maybe 6 inches higher so will try that too at some point.

So it will take 24.5kg (weight of my bike) as it's rated for 30kg however not going to try the max by adding in the 4.5kg (52V 17.5Ah) battery pack.

I have to admit I'm slightly nervous it will decide to collapse in the middle of night damaging the rear hub so I've placed an old white chair with old cushions on it underneath rear wheel just in case...

I plan on leaving the ebike in the stand for a cpl of weeks and will report back if it does break anything or collapses....
Over a month later in the spare room with no heating and fluctuating temps the bike is still hanging in the stand and hasn't moved.

So conclusion is the £40 stand is suitable for working on an ebike at height as long as you balance it OK and have someone to help lift the weight!

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Used a Dirty Pro stand via Amazon at a ridiculously cheap price (£30ish).
It never failed me and held my Infinity without issue. Sadly I can't find it available and I knew it wouldn't last at that price.