Bike Storage

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Well no of course it doesn't make sense to mere mortals who retain even a modicum of common sense. The only sense it needs to make is that a box is ticked. Probably some money left over at the end of the financial year. I know, lets spend it on cycle stuff then we'll get some more money next year and look really good on the end of year report.
I'm actually starting to think that we're going to have to re-name common sense 'cos it seems to be in short supply.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What's needed is https://www.cheltenhambikes.co.uk/hire-services/storage-lockers

They are around the country but lottery of you have one close
They could have embedded separate waterproof lockers into the concrete base and saved money by dispensing with the structure. Less to claw back in charges. £5 a day is a bit steep if you need to use a bike locker every day, so are their other options. Small lockers for small wheeled folding bikes should be half price or less. I can't help but compare these costs to prices of bus travel. About £4.70 gets you regional off-peak bus travel in my area, about a quid more for travel all day - I suppose that's the point? Close enough I guess, for the company operating these lockers to claim this facility is "competitively priced"?

Rubbish bus services, increasing costs of car ownership and use will force people onto bikes, therefore there is an opportunity for genuinely useful secure bike storage. More insured bikes being stolen will increase the price of bike insurance. Bus services were better before privatisation...

Bus passengers feel 'let down' in parts of England

...so was water. Lol they've also got to pay shareholder's dividends with money you're paying them:

Water firms use up to 28% of bill payments to service debt in areas of England

Here it is on the map. None of it makes sense:
View attachment 56847
Is the rest of Telford as crap? Glad I stayed on the train last week, despite the horrible view and smell. Despite price increases, I'm pretty sure that train had fleas. Train shouldn't have been privatised either BTW. It's difficult to replace a 200 mile train journey with a pedelec ride.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I seem to recall someone posting about a new job and cycling to work in Milton Keynes with a similar daily charge for cycle lock up but it also had nice clean shower facilities.. google tells me the MK train station also has individual bike lockups available to rent for £68 p.a +key deposit. or 19p a day!!

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I read somewhere there is a just park type app we go where you can rent out private garage or house room to park bikes.
I've used that for drive or parking while on days out

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is the rest of Telford as crap? Glad I stayed on the train last week, despite the horrible view and smell. Despite price increases, I'm pretty sure that train had fleas. Train shouldn't have been privatised either BTW. It's difficult to replace a 200 mile train journey with a pedelec ride.
The train doesn't represent Telford. It wouldn't have been bought, nor kept in Telford. It only stopped there for a couple of minutes during a long journey. That's a bit like seeing flees in your car when you drive through Wales. The fleas came from the dog or cat unless mice got in when you parked at home. Likewise, the smell in your car would be due to the sandwiches that you forgot to eat last year or the fact that you were in too much of a hurry to get a shower.

Telford is not my type of town. It has no character. It's generally kept clean and safe. There's quite a bit of history nearby and lots of nice cycle rides. The town park is pretty good too with lots of cycle routes through it. Housing is also pretty cheap. A 4 bedroom detached house with garage and driveway would be about £200k to £350k. Two years ago I bought two quite nice three bedroom terraced houses in a reasonable location £215 for the pair.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Very disparaging remarks to make about a place having not got off or visited the area. From the view given the platform and buildings look nice /clean and a nice covered roof.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very disparaging remarks to make about a place having not got off or visited the area. From the view given the platform and buildings look nice /clean and a nice covered roof.
Fortunately @saneagle has a good sense of humour. I've also driven through it once. Never again.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fortunately @saneagle has a good sense of humour. I've also driven through it once. Never again.
I think you'd like Telford much better than your area. There's a lot more space, less traffic and noise and better cycling. There are more interesting hills too. You have Ironbridge Gorge to go down and up or the Wrekin if you prefer to go up and down. Either of those can give you an easy 40 mph without pedalling.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Likewise, the smell in your car would be due to the sandwiches that you forgot to eat last year or the fact that you were in too much of a hurry to get a shower.
My body is self cleaning, like my bike.

I read somewhere there is a just park type app we go where you can rent out private garage or house room to park bikes.
I've used that for drive or parking while on days out
That's a great idea, but I'm wondering how many of these folks renting out their homes and garages for bike storage would be happy accommodating ebikes? Fire risk and all that.

It'd be rather wonderful if there was a map with app of inexpensive secure bike lockers containing power outlets, conveniently situated within about 20 miles of each other all over the isles.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Onstreet secure bike lockers for six bikes in Bath. These look flimsy, but at least they can be placed near destinations of interest to cyclists:

It would be better to have keyless internet allocated and activated entry, and separate secure compartments for each bike within each shelter, instead of one key giving access to six bikes. On the other hand, those systems can get hacked. How many of these could be lifted onto a bike thief cartel's flatbed?

I think you'd like Telford much better than your area. There's a lot more space, less traffic and noise and better cycling. There are more interesting hills too. You have Ironbridge Gorge to go down and up or the Wrekin if you prefer to go up and down. Either of those can give you an easy 40 mph without pedalling.
I live in two areas. The hills near Shifnal looked nice two years ago. Nicer than the dump that is Shifnal - I didn't have time to explore, had to run away carrying money. I hear there's good fishing in The Gorge, not that I fish. I was offered fish pie in Shifnal, said no thank you, because I've read too much about rampant river pollution.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Onstreet secure bike lockers for six bikes in Bath. These look flimsy, but at least they can be placed near destinations of interest to cyclists:

It would be better to have keyless internet allocated and activated entry, and separate secure compartments for each bike within each shelter, instead of one key giving access to six bikes. On the other hand, those systems can get hacked. How many of these could be lifted onto a bike thief cartel's flatbed?

Which one? I live in two areas. The hills near Shifnal looked nice two years ago. Nicer than the dump that is Shifnal - I didn't have time to explore, had to run away carrying money. I hear there's good fishing in The Gorge, not that I fish. I was offered fish pie in Shifnal, said no thank you, because I've read too much about rampant river pollution.
I stayed in The Railway Inn in Shifnal when I first started working in Telford. Shifnal was famous for having the most pubs in the smallest area or something like that. It did have some nice places to eat. I'm not sure how it is now.

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
I'm not sure where the station in the photo is but it's certainly not Telford. Telford is a modern station not a 19th century one with an overall roof.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not sure where the station in the photo is but it's certainly not Telford. Telford is a modern station not a 19th century one with an overall roof.
Hmm... it appears you're right. In my defence, I was distracted pretending to work. If you don't recognise the station, I can't offend you by saying Stoke-on-Trent stinks. I'll give special attention to Telford's odour next week.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bath and London bike parking. Nothing around me.

That scheme looks a lot cheaper than unused £1m structures in the middle of nowhere. Less of a halo project I suppose, or perhaps small mobile bike enclosures on roads don't fulfill grant application criteria or something? There's lots of small print in grant applications, I used to process some myself years ago, for green projects.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Yes, here it is from Google maps, just as I thought:
View attachment 56848
Occasionally I have to leave one of my bikes at my local railway station. Unfortunately I think all railway stations are high risk for bike theft. At my local station there is a place to lock bikes outside the station and other places on each of the two platforms. I always lock mine on the platform in the style of bike lock area above. My simple security measures are to have the seat and wheels secured by bolts rather than quick release and to remove the non fixed lights and use a good u-lock with additional cable through the front wheel secured to the u-lock. I also remove the battery key on my rear hub bikes with behind the seat silver fish batteries. None of these measures would stop the bike being nicked by a determined thief but hopefully provide a deterrent to the casual T Leaf. So far these measures have worked, but I would be gutted if any of my bikes got nicked.

I did get a shock when I rode my Haibike cross country to the next town to go out with friends and where I would usually be able to leave my bike in a key coded room not in a public area to find that room inaccessible for me to get the bike in. I locked it on the platform and removed the battery, display, lights etc. I could get in the room without my bike where I could leave my panniers and re charge my battery, and fortunately my bike was still there when I returned late in the evening.

I would always choose to lock a bike on the platform rather than outside the station as it should be better lit and with more people/staff around and with hopefully a camera pointed at the bike area.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023