Bike to carry 8 -10 year old

Fizz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2019
Have you seen the Eskuta? Basically, you just need to turn the pedals to get full power. They have a 48v system, so plenty of power compared with a normal ebike, and the battery is big too so you can get a reasonable range while using full power. They have passenger footrests so carrying a passenger is legal. These scooters have a lot of nice features, like remote control alarms, nice lights and things like that. The pedals are a bit weird compared with a bicycle, but you soon get used to them.

https://www.eskuta.com/products/eskuta-sx250-electric-bike

These bikes are good if you just want transport for one or two persons from A to B. They're not the sort of thing you ride for exercise.
Thanks, I hadn’t come across these. Definitely worth looking into - would be the ideal solution for the school run. Lots of the bike paths I use are mixed use though and although this is legal on them I bet I’d meet with lots of disapproval here in Cambridge from people thinking it’s a moped ☹

If anyone has experience of riding one I’d be interested to hear more. Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although I haven't ridden one personally, we have had members owning them in the past. One of them, his forum name Synthman, had a Ninja model for years and enjoyed it. He even had the police asking him about it in a friendly way, obviously interested. One of the officers even tried it!

They are one of the cases of the motors being far more powerful than the nominal 250 watts rating suggests, often as much as 600 to 700 watts region of peak power.

Here is a photo of Synthman's model:

I suppose you could stick a prominent notice on the rear stating, Electric bicycle legal on paths, to overcome any possible resistance. Members Synthman and another scooter style owner, Kinninvie*, don't seem to have been troubled by any ill feeling using them though.

As said above, the pedals aren't much use in the usual bicycle sense, just ok for setting off .

* Link to Kinninvie's e-fun bike photo

Last edited:
Reactions: Fizz

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hello! Very excited to discover the e-bike community!

I’m new to all this but hoping to get a bike that’s fun and straightforward both when cycling alone and with my 8 year old on the back. He is a competent cyclist but our route to school is a bit dicey in places and as he lives some of the time with his dad his bike isn’t always at the right house. I’ve got a flexible budget up to about £1800. Currently considering the Juicy Roller (but concerned it might be a bit big for me- 165cm tall) and the Volt Burlington. Both would need a stronger rear rack fitting (to take up to 35kg) for a junior seat like the Qibbel or Yepp. My head has been turned by the Radwagon, however - shipped from Holland so harder for aftersales and I can’t test ride it but I really like the look of it and the longevity for transporting my son. If someone has experience of some of these options or any suggestions I would be very grateful. Thanks a lot!
Hello Fizz
Roller should suit inside leg measure from 67cms if that helps.
But if possible you should try to take a test ride. It's not so wise to buy on others advice.
I believe there are some in stock at Kettering and they are normally very patient and willing to adjust bikes for you to try.
We do keep running out of Rollers but have more on the way every month from our new factory in Portugal. So, if there's a particular colour you desire that's only 4 weeks away.

We can also send one for you to our Cambridge store, but they are a little short on space there. Let us know if you need any help getting a test ride.

Reactions: Fizz and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks, I hadn’t come across these. Definitely worth looking into - would be the ideal solution for the school run. Lots of the bike paths I use are mixed use though and although this is legal on them I bet I’d meet with lots of disapproval here in Cambridge from people thinking it’s a moped ☹

I've ridden one. There's a wire loop that you can join at the controller that changes the throttle to full range, which is not strictly legal. I rode mainly with the throttle, but did some distance with the pedals, which is a bit weird at first because of the low gearing (I derestricted mine too for 20 mph) and wide pedal distance. All you need to do is rotate the pedals to get the power, like air pedalling. Everything else about them is perfect. You get a very smooth and quiet ride and the handling and braking are brilliant. It's a real shame we're not supposed to use them at 20 mph, or even at 15.5 mph, with the throttle because I think that sort of vehicle would be very popular.

Reactions: Artstu and Fizz

Red133

Just Joined
Jul 27, 2019
I've ridden one. There's a wire loop that you can join at the controller that changes the throttle to full range, which is not strictly legal. I rode mainly with the throttle, but did some distance with the pedals, which is a bit weird at first because of the low gearing (I derestricted mine too for 20 mph) and wide pedal distance. All you need to do is rotate the pedals to get the power, like air pedalling. Everything else about them is perfect. You get a very smooth and quiet ride and the handling and braking are brilliant. It's a real shame we're not supposed to use them at 20 mph, or even at 15.5 mph, with the throttle because I think that sort of vehicle would be very popular.
Hey, can you please describe how to derestrict an eskuta sx250?
Thanks

Cecile

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Hello everyone - I realise this thread is old but if my answer helps one person, then it may still be worth it.

Do not under an circumstances buy a Volt Burlington and expect to fit a child seat on the rear rack. I've now broken a second one of their rack with my rear-mounted Yepp Maxi (the first one snapped at the point where it was fitted on to the mudguard and somehow the pressure exerted by the easyfit carrier made the second one snap inwards). They have now told me the only option is a trailer, as their seat tube is blocked by the battery, which means any seat mounted on the seat tube is out of the question...

My child is two and about 13kg, so we're nowhere near weight limits. Very sad about it as the bike looks fantastic, but am going to have to return it or sell it.

Reactions: KirstinS

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would suggest the Rambla but I don't know how tall you are.
The Rambla has a strong, unencumbered rack.

Eskuta

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Hi, thank you for the recommendation of our SX-250 Electric Bike! Our Electric Bike looks and performs similarly to a petrol moped but is classed as an ‘electrically assisted pedal cycle’ (EAPC). The SX-250 has the features, benefits and robustness of a moped with all the cost savings of a bicycle – in addition to it being great for the environment. The SX-250 has a range of unique features including:

• 50 mile range lithium-ion battery on a single 7.5 hour charge costing 10p per charge
  • Rear high level led brake light and indicators
  • Centre stand allows bike to be upright when stationary – giving greater stability
  • Alarm with 2 keys, immobiliser and keyless go system
  • Motorcycle grade braking, suspension and tyres
  • Pedal assist system – automatically engages when pedalled: restricted to 15.5 mph to comply with EAPC regulations
If anyone has questions regarding our products, please feel free to email us on contact@eskuta.com or call 02476 350150.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
SX-250 Electric Bike! Our Electric Bike looks and performs similarly to a petrol moped but is classed as an ‘electrically assisted pedal cycle’ (EAPC)
Interesting. What's the weight? I assume the 250 is for 250w motor, but what's the torque, and motor voltage and capacity? The web site seems very uninformative.

Eskuta

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Interesting. What's the weight? I assume the 250 is for 250w motor, but what's the torque, and motor voltage and capacity? The web site seems very uninformative.
Hi, the net weight of the SX250 Electric Bike is 53kgs. The battery is a LiniMnCoo2 Lithium-ion 48V 20Ah battery. Motor is Bosch 250 watt motor. Range is 50 miles (80km) range on a single charge costing 10p and the dimensions are 1650mm L x 1085mm H x 680mm W (excluding mirrors)
I hope this information helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us on sales@eskuta.com or call 02476 350150.