Biketec Swiss Flyer HS

PedelecCommuter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2007
They sell two models the ones with HS (High Speed) go faster up to 35-45kpmh it sais. They look reall nice. Is there anything special about thes apart from different gearing on the back sprocket? Could a Kalkhoff give Pro connect give similar performance to these if the back sprocket was changed?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I always despair of easily finding usable webpages on Biketech models, they seem an odd company judging by the way they hide, so I've long stopped bothering.

If these HS models are using the Panasonic motors, they are exaggerating, since even when configured to give maximum power, 45 kph would have to be downhill or with a following wind

For the average cyclist, changing the sprocket on a Pro-Connect or similar to up assist maximum from 15.5 mph to about 18 mph is useful, but increasing beyond that gives a maximum assist speed which increasingly only works in favourable conditions, and/or with a powerful rider.

So the BikeTech 20 mph is realistically useful, but higher than that has increasingly serious limitations, like lessened hill climb ability, unless coupled to a wide range gear system such as the SRAM DualDrive.

More serious is the loss of range. The more they are geared up, the more the motor will be running, and the more time spent in the earlier higher power usage phases. In addition, the higher the gearing, the more the range will decrease, since less and less time is spent above the bike speed motor cut off point.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
As far as I know - and please forgive my technical and linguistic imprecision - the HS version allows more assisted pedal turns that the 70-80 of the standard version; it has a 11 teeth motor sprocket, while the standard one is 9 teeth, and it is slightly less effective on the steeper climbs; the “Sport” motor should be a sturdier version of the normal one, with reinforced windings in order not to overheat, if I have understand correctly. Never tried one, so I don't know its real maximum speed and yes, getting info about the Biketech is a despairing job!