BikeTech Flyer series information

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've been having many queries, especially from UK members, about the BikeTech bikes, and especially their high speed models. This post is an up to date collection of the latest information on all the Panasonic motored bikes together with today's UK prices.

C Series; 26” wheel size
Low step size: XS(41cm) S(45) M(50) L(55)
Cross Bar size: S(45cm) M(50) L(55) XL(60)
3 x Power settings Eco (50%) Standard (100%) High 150%)
250 Watt. 10Ah Li-i / Mn. 26V 2.6kg
Red, Silver, Black or Blue

C5; Shimano 8 gear Nexus Standard, Shimano Roller brake, Seat-Cushy SR Suntour XY, Busch and Muller Lumatec Fly lighting, 24kg £2,034
C6; 8 gear derailleur, Shimano roller brake, Seat- SR Suntour NCX,
Busch and Muller Lumatec IQ-Fly lighting, 23kg £2,195
C8; Shimano 8 gear Nexus Premium, Walk pace setting 6km/h, shimano roller brake Busch and Muller Lumatec IQ-Fly lighting, 24kg £2,276
C9: 8 gear Alfine sport. Walk pace setting 6km/h, Magura HS33 hydraulic brake Busch& Muller Lumatec IQ-Fly Lighting 24kg £2,679

T Series; as C series but 28” wheel size
T5 “ £2,034
T6 “ £2,195
T8 “ £2,276
T9 “ £2,679

K Series; 21 kg, Carbon Fibre frame, 28”wheel size
Low step, S(45cm) M(50) L(55)
3 x power settings, 250 Watt 10Ah Li-I / Mn 26V, Busch & Muller Lumatec IQ Lighting.

K-Street; SRAM dual drive 3x8 gear derailleur, Magura Louise Brakes, 25-45km/h £4,131
K-Urban Option of Walk Pace 6km/h, Shimano 8 gear Alfine sport, Shimano Alfine Brakes, 25km/h
£4,131
K-Rohloff, 14 gear speedhub £4,695

THS Series; 24kg,As T series + Sport Motor, 25-45km/h

T8HS; SRAM dual drive 3x8 gear, Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes £2,760
T9HS; Shimano 8 gear Alfine Sport, Shimano Alfine brakes £2,921
T14HS;14 gear Rohloff hub, Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes £3,889

S Series Low Cross bar, S(43cm) M(50) L(55) XL(60), 3 x power settings, Sport-Motor, 250 Watt, 25-45 km/h, 23kg

S-Urban 26” wheel, Shimano 8 gear Alfine sport, Shimano Alfine brakes, Starrgabel shock’s £3,204
S-Street 26” wheel, Sram 3x8 dual drive gears, Magura Louise brakes, Starrgabel shock’s £3,204
S-Cross-Country Shimano 9 gear derailleur , Magura Louise brakes Rock shocks Tora £3,204
S-Urban 28”wheel ShimanoAlfineBrakes, Shimano 8 gear Alfine sport, Starrgabel shock’s £3,204
S-Street 28” wheel Sram 3x8 dual drive gears, Magura Louise brakes, Starrgabel shock’s £3,204
S Series Rohloff hub £3,890

Folding

Faltrad NS 20kg, Shimano 8 gear Nexus standard, Shimano roller pulse braking (anti-skid) BM-IM70 V-Brake, £2,100
Faltrad KS 19kg, Shimano 9 gear Capreo £2,100

Tandem M(50/35cm) L(55/45) 32kg

XT £4,131
Rohloff Hub £4,615

Some alternative options are available +/-.

Prices at 27th September 2008

The UK agents are: Vita Electric, and the Flyer bikes are the ones in the top set of photos on the home page, their distinguishing feature being the S bend down tube.

I've previously posted a little information on the earlier F series here.

Last edited:

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
These are seriously more expensive than the Swiss prices, probably not helped by an additional 10% VAT in the UK. The T14 HS is 30% more.

If you're going to get a top of the range model, it would be cheaper (and more fun) to collect one from Switzerland, especially if you're passing that way anyway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Beanie, good tip.

However, I think many who are rich enough to buy these won't worry.

Probably the old adage about very expensive things applies, "If you need to ask the price, you can't afford it!"

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Thanks Beanie, good tip.

However, I think many who are rich enough to buy these won't worry.

Probably the old adage about very expensive things applies, "If you need to ask the price, you can't afford it!"
Tony, please tell us all laymen, again, the reasons for the exorbitant/obscene prices of the Flyers. I want to be well informed in case I take the plunge ha ha. Fat chance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tony, please tell us all laymen, again, the reasons for the exorbitant/obscene prices of the Flyers. I want to be well informed in case I take the plunge ha ha. Fat chance.
Here's my answer to Davidw, Poppy:

The Rolls Royce of bikes

In fact they are very reasonably priced on this comparison. Like a Rolls car, you order the model and alterations to suit, and then BikeTech's craftsmen make your bike, so you first see it a few weeks later. Dealers and agents occasionally have an odd stock one to show the quality, but most customers buy to order.

But where a Rolls can cost 10 times and more the price of a Mondeo and five times or more of a basic Jaguar's price, these BikeTech's are usually about double a lesser bike's price, and sometimes less than that.

In the world of luxury goods, they are undoubtedly a bargain.

However, though I could easily afford any one or two of them without pain, my present bike does everything I want, so there's no point. I suspect that's true for many of us too, and the real reason for owning a Flyer is prestige, the pride of ownership.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Hello Flecc, did I ever told you that I have a Flyer T8 in my home? When I decided to buy a pedelec for my wife the Giant Lafree was already out of stock and there were yet no Kalkhoff and similar in sight. So I bought the T8 one year ago and I use it sometimes instead of my Lafree. I’ve paid it nearly twice as much as the Lafree, and it is actually a better bicycle than the Lafree: a very fine bicycle but... not better value for money at all! Let’s say that my feelings with the Flyer are very similar to what I read in your precious review of the Agattu. In Italy the prices of the Flyer and the Kalkhoff are nearer than in UK, but for normal use I’d no doubt to prefer the price-quality ratio of the Kalkhoff. The Flyer is perhaps tougher but on my experience of urban cycling I agree with you: in most cases there is no point.

That said, I think that I’m going to swap my Lafree to my wife and her Flyer to me ;) Reason is that she uses her bicycle far less than me and that could give a longer life to the hard used Lafree. (By the way - OT, sorry - it is time to change the chain and of course my LBS has no idea of the specs… Is there anything I should know?)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Leonardo. No, I didn't know of your T8, though I knew of your interest in the Flyers. It's a good move to change the bikes over now, since the newer Flyer with it's quality components will be more suited to the heavier use.

The chains on the Lafree are standard 1/8th chain. All bike chains are half inch pitch (rivet to rivet distance in inches), but they come in different internal widths over the rollers. The 1/8th inch is for single speed and hub gear bikes, but on derailleur bikes the internal width is mainly 3/16th inch, though there are slightly narrower ones. In general, chains for derailleur gear bikes are refered to by the number of gears on the bike, for example, 7-8 speed chain or 9 speed chain.

So in your case, it's only necessary to ask for 1/8th chain. There are various qualities, but the major difference is whether they are black finish or galvanised silver.