Bl00dy Bugs!

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I am revisiting that horrible sensation of having small to medium sized insects embed themselves at high speed at the back of my throat, during my 30km daily commute.

Not having used a bike regularly since my teens, this is a part of cycling I didn't miss!

I've never liked the idea of a cycling mask - I've had asthma all my life and the feeling of restricted breathing quite frankly terrifies me. Now; I wouldn't mind trying a mask if a good one exists, that doesn't restrict breathing.

Does such a thing exist? Or am I resigned to trying to nose-breathe??

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
LOL - love the gasmask photo!
I hate the idea of looking the The Gimp, but I guess it's inevitable...

I know there are good highly breathable foams out there - my rather technical long distance rucksack you can breathe through the foam like it's not there (why do that? The guy in shop did it to show it's non-sweaty back features).

I did find a UK company called Respro. The UltraLight looks like their top of the range. I don't need HEPA filter - just something to stop bugs.

http://respro.com/store/product/ultra-light

A bit pricey to just give it a bash. I think I'll get in touch with their customer service.

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I am revisiting that horrible sensation of having small to medium sized insects embed themselves at high speed at the back of my throat, during my 30km daily commute.
I just bought one from China for £2.57. No doubt it won't be up to much by way of filtration. Although I'm pretty sure that it'll stop 'bugs'. :)

Why pay £46 just to stop bugs? ;)
Mask.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We crossed a jogger wearing a mask the other day. SWMBO was slightly scared by the look until I said "pollen season". I myself walk and cycle with my mouth closed, breathing through the nose, because I am allergic to grass pollen too. But I have had a few bumble bee strikes since the beginning of Spring and that is swaying me towards:

Casco_Roadster-TC_White_Silver_Visier_3607.jpg
The screen will be useful for keeping bug guts off my glasses and should work nicely for riding in the rain. I think wearing a pollen mask as well should give me a sufficiently menacing look to keep stupid tourist drivers out of the way. SW will, I am sure, recommend some full body armour to complete the storm trooper look to a Tee.

Seeing the number of recent deaths of racers, both pro and amateur who died of head injuries while wearing a helmet I am not trusting this with my life...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The screen will be useful for keeping bug guts off my glasses and should work nicely for riding in the rain.
Maybe a solution for ocb would be to add a lower clear perspex/acrylic extension to a helmet mask, akin to the visors on open face motorcycle helmets. That would protect the mouth as well as the eyes.

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I have a solid shell Bell Faction helmet + wrap-around glasses that do the job for the head and eyes, the glasses have a built in 1080p 30fps camera (posted about that somewhere else). I did wipe out on my kick scooter back in Nov. Broken ribs, badly bruised wrist joints etc, my head took a fair whack - I have to say I'm glad I was wearing a solid shell helmet!

I did think about the hockey/BMX style full mask - but having played roller hockey back in my teens, and I had a full mask - it's not an option for a commute style cycle.

I think I'll start off with a cheapo ebay mask to start :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have nose issues so can't get airflow required when exercising. Have to mouth breathe and probably do look like that photo!

Still , can't bring myself to wear a mask. I'd rather, quite literally, suck it up

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i go out and dont use my goggles my helmet is like a air scoop for all the bugs.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I looked at that one too but the Casco is better finished inside, price is much of a muchness. My current 15€ Decathlon BMX helmet hurts my head so interior comfort was the main factor of choice.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Dam you Daniel I'm going to have to go shopping now

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I went earlier in the afternoon to order my Casco. And they had a damned Giant Quick-e in the window, b@stards... :mad: Besides the front light and the pedals (both easy to fix) I couldn't spot any faults, damnation...

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
Bugs
Its just part of the warm weather
Ive often thought of a mask also as breathing through my rubbish nose isnt so much of an option either but i dont think i could put up with the sweat round my mouth that would inevitably come from wearing a mask
So bugs it is

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Wasn't bothered to much about the bugs, anoying yes, but only occasionally.
That was until a recent ride, I was stonking down a particularly steep hill
( 40+ mph freewheeling :) ) when I went through a swarm of the little black blighters, it felt like I was being sandblasted :(
I've now settled on a bandana for the worst bug ridden trails