Help! Boardman HYB 8.9E Women or Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 2019?

oddsock

Just Joined
May 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest in an ebike and am struggling to make a decision out of the Boardman and the Cube, both of which are available to me at ~£1800.

I live in the Scottish Highlands so am looking for something which will be helpful for hills in particular.

I am 170cm/55kg. I am unsure whether the more powerful battery on the Cube justifies the heavier weight.

Thank you in advance for any input :)

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest in an ebike and am struggling to make a decision out of the Boardman and the Cube,

Thank you in advance for any input :)
I would say the characteristics and target audience of those two bikes/motors is very, very different.
You need to tell us what type of cyclist you are, and what type of cycling you intend to use the bike for.

oddsock

Just Joined
May 19, 2020
Hi, thanks for your response.

I'm not massively adventurous and usually stick to roads and mainly intend to use the bike for touring purposes. It would be nice to have the option to occasionally use gravel trails ect but that is not a priority for me. I have arthritis so I am not great with hills, hence the reason I am looking for electric assistance to help me in the most challenging climbs. A battery with a longish run time would be preferable to me just to have the peace of mind that I could rely upon the assistance if I should start to have problems with my joints on a ride.

Thank you!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You may well want mudguards, rack etc which are included on the Cube and not on the Boardman, so the weight difference is a little less than it appears at first glance. I'd say if you were into pretty active cycling and now just want assist because of arthritis then the Boardman is a better choice. If you are not that into cycling and want a really enjoyable ride then the Cube.

You may well find that a cheaper bike does all you need; see for example the Woosh Faro with the big battery. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro, nearly 600wh battery. Might not be up to the hills (*) even though you are quite light; Woosh could advise on that and others. Also maybe Juicy and Wisper as well.

Might be worth considering a low step given the arthritis. Plenty of low step Cubes, and also several from Woosh.

(*) We should have been there last week ... we know what the hills can be like. It's usually boots rather than bikes.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi, thanks for your response.

I'm not massively adventurous and usually stick to roads and mainly intend to use the bike for touring purposes. It would be nice to have the option to occasionally use gravel trails ect but that is not a priority for me. I have arthritis so I am not great with hills, hence the reason I am looking for electric assistance to help me in the most challenging climbs. A battery with a longish run time would be preferable to me just to have the peace of mind that I could rely upon the assistance if I should start to have problems with my joints on a ride.

Thank you!
Not sure what 'touring purposes' actually means in this context, however:
The Boardman looks like a nice bike, but its mostly aimed at people who are already cyclists and want to be able to remove the motor/battery to cycle totally unassisted. That's its USP.

The Cube will give considerably more assistance on the hills, and the extra battery capacity will be noticeable if you use lots of assistance. The cube will also be more flexible if you do hit the gravel.
I think that out of the two, its the cube (unless the 'touring' thing throws a spanner in the works). And if you can buy one, I'd buy one ASAFP as ebikes like that are out of stock nearly everywhere at the moment!!

yusstay

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2010
Angus
Hi Oddsock,

I live in Angus and hit a few of the local undulating hills and have taken routes around Kenmore during the summer. I've got both 2019 Focus Paralane2 9.8 (E-road bike) with the fazua motor and a 2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500(E-MTB) with the Bosch.

I can only give you my experience about the drive systems/motor and batteries, I mainly ride on gravel and tarmac but have gone on the trails too.(on the MTB)

(Weight and Speed)
The Focus(Fazua) has the same motor as the boardman) and it would be closest to the boardman. It is much lighter and faster than my cube(with a bosch drive, similar to the cube cross hybrid), when under my own steam, because of it.

(Distance & Noise)
Because of the weight I do get further on a full charge using the Focus(Fazua) . It's also a lot quieter than the cube.

(Comfort)
The cube(bosch) is by far the more comfortable but that's because it has a great saddle and front suspension, making it more accessible to trails. Suspension sacrifices speed but feels more stable.

(Hills & Cross Country)
Both bikes will get you to the top of anything you try to tackle and you're half my weight! I've used both bikes with no power and the Fazua is quicker getting up the hills due to weight and no front suspension. But I don't like taking my Fazua anywhere with too many bumps.

The Fazua let you purchase blank caps to replace the batteries and drop approx 2.5-3kg in bike weight if you feel you don't need the battery and want to use it as a non e bike. You can also update the motor yourself with a pc or laptop. Bosch you have to pay a bike shop to do for you.

My conclusion is if you're going off road go for the cube, anything else I would lean to the boardman. Whatever you choose I am certain you will love it!

• Informative
Reactions: GLJoe and Nealh

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I've got both 2019 Focus Paralane2 9.8 (E-road bike) with the fazua motor and a 2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500(E-MTB) with the Bosch.
The Focus(Fazua) has the same motor as the boardman) and it would be closest to the boardman. It is much lighter and faster than my cube
Because of the weight I do get further on a full charge using the Focus(Fazua) .
My conclusion is if you're going off road go for the cube, anything else I would lean to the boardman...
Interesting. Its always good to hear the experience of someone who actually owns all the various types of bikes in a discussion.
I don't have a lightweight, racing type road ebike yet, but I've certainly contemplated one. After doing a fair bit of reading, my conclusion is that they are probably great options for someone who's already pretty fit and manages a conventional non-e bike fairly well to start with.
So to put your comments into context - can I ask how 'fit' (whatever that means!) you'd consider yourself to be? do you for example know what your FTP is?
(it would be great to also know your age, height and weight as well , if that's not too personal :) )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the pair of you don't want to divulge personnel info you can always use the PM service, click on the envelope top right next to your name and select recipient in the start conversation tab/box.

Joe also look at the cycle uk forum which has an ebike section, there are quite a few road riders who have gone leccy so also more chance of users their as well to add to yusstay's views.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
If the pair of you don't want to divulge personnel info you can always use the PM service
Yes. Asking some people how fit they are or what they're FTP is often like approaching them with a ruler, and asking them to drop their trousers .... ;)

However in this case, as its advice for the OP, Its not just for my curiosity. I've got this feeling that a lightweight bike with a fazua type motor probably gives great results (and good range) for someone who'd already fairly strong, light and fit, but will be less so for mere mortals!
Looking at the list of bikes yusstay owns, something tells me he's not 'normal' around here (but I mean that in a very good, positive way LOL )