Help! Bolt on / non standard street legal mid-drive for a cargo bike

sarniak

Just Joined
May 20, 2021
Hi everyone! This is my first post; I looked through like 10 pages of "mid-drive" search results but haven't found anything that would help (which makes me think that it will be extremely hard to get any help but I am not losing hope just yet).

I bought a cargo bike called Yuba Supermarche. I attached a photo of the left side so you can see the frame shape well. I am looking for a mid-drive conversion kit that would be street legal in the EU. I would prefer a torque sensor (so Bafang is off the list unless nothing else works). My best bets for now are:
1. Ciclotek CTX 250w https://ciclotek.com/gb/e-bike-conversion-kits/9232-ctx-middle-motor-kit.html
2. Tongsheng 250w mid drive.

The type of down tube in this bike (it is practically horizontal unlike in most bikes) would require the drive to point downwards, reducing the clearance. This bike has 20" wheels which makes this problematic already. I don't want to rode this bike off-road but I am afraid some high curbs could be problematic. For Tongsheng I would also probably have to do something with the cables that go under the bottom bracket (I read that it is very close to the bracket and it won't fit unless there is nothing there).

So I started looking for drives like "Luna Deluxe Mini Cyclone". It seems versatile enough to try to install it between the down and top tube. But then it is too powerful for the streets and really don't want to take that risk, especially that I will be mainly riding with kids.

Are there any drives similar to that one but street legal? Can anyone provide me with the phrases I could use to look further? I am not a native speaker and I am quite new to e-bikes so I feel like I lack some vocabulary. I saw the "bolt on" phrase and tried to use that but with not much luck.

Attachments