Boris.....and this is a serious question.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Having seen Boris swinging on that wire with his helmet on :)rolleyes:) and taking it all in his stride, along with his other exploits,( and he IS a cyclist ) I just wonder....would he make a good Prime Minister ?

Is the country ready for someone a bit wacky, ready to laugh at himself, a bit different ?

Im not totally convinced myself but ....nearly.... and would be interested to hear other points of view.

I also know from previous posts that not everyone likes him as Mayor of London...but he did win the recent vote after alls said and done, and Ken lost.

Now I am quite happy to state that I AM a tory voter.....for a miriad of reasons, as some of you already know, and appreciate that those of you with different political persuasions obviously would prefer that no Conservative was in power, but, especially those other Tories amongst you.....what do you think and why ?

Lynda :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The problem is, we are choosing between Boris, Miliband and Cameron or one of these three with a hint of Clegg. None are attractive options but if I had to choose one, the least terrifying in terms of the future would be Boris.

What I think we really need is someone with the guts to take a very hard line on imigration and welfare. I can't see this happening for a while yet, but the catastrophe of the failed social engineering experiments is getting closer and someone will emerge in due course. Boris isn't the right person for this task though.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
So is there someone on the sidelines that WILL have the guts to do what has to be done ?

The hard line can only be taken by the Tories...its never going to come from a labour leader, and it HAS to be done for the future of this country.
I just wondered whether behind the 'bumbling' outward persona of Boris whether he had it or not.

Where have all the politicians with strong wills and guts and the courage of their convictions gone.....what happened ??

Why has this country gone so badly astray, surely its only common sense needed to see what has to be done as we really cannot carry on like this much longer.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I tend to regard most politians as political prostitutes selling the peoples mandate to the highest bidder in the biggest whore house in London (The palace of westminster). Clearly Boris is a upperclass idiot, which clearly qualify him to be PM but he need a good pimp, like Cameron had in Murdoch.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boris isn't the right person as Tillson says. He's a very good con-man* but mostly produces smoke and mirrors rather than actual action. As Prime Minister, certainly not, since I trust him even less that our present ruling politicians. The longer he remains London's mayor, the more his incompetence will be exposed, since he cannot indefinitely live on the actions that Ken Livingstone started.

His election as London mayor is a sham as I've already remarked in another thread, voted in by the large conservative electorate in the privileged outskirts that were added at the formation of "Greater" London by the Conservatives. His status as London's mayor being a political fix is therefore no recommendation for any other high office, quite the opposite in fact.

To show I'm not influenced against Boris Johnson by political bias, I've mostly voted conservative in national elections and am likely to do so at the next one since the present alternatives are so unacceptable. I have only ever voted conservative in local elections.

* A con-man? Certainly, just look at the way his carefully calculated buffoonery has endeared him enough to make most people refer to him by his first name alone, almost as a friend. I'm too intelligent to be so easily fooled, he's Boris Johnson and not at all a buffoon, being a highly intelligent well educated senior newspaperman well versed in the arts of persuasion. He is also one of the privileged classes who already rule our country though their "old boy" network, so at best no better than Cameron, Clegg, Osborne and Milliband, and potentially far worse.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's difficult to determine exactly what most of the politicians stand for. A high percentage seem to be career politicians with little experience of everyday working life from the point of view of the vast majority of the country. They are presented to us via skilfully choreographed events, so it's hard / impossible to determine exactly what you are getting. The media has a political agenda (BBC included) and tend to trash, tarnish and destroy the reputations of any organisation which poses a threat to their perverse ideals.

I get the impression that our current crop of politicians treat running the country as if they are playing a huge game of SimCity (computer game). They are safe in the knowledge that if it all goes tits up (and it will), they have sufficient privilege and wealth to isolate themselves from the horrible consequences. I hate them.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
So, maybe time for someone without sufficient privelege and wealth to come forward, someone with more commonsense than wealth, who has the tenacity and guts to do what is needed.....and maybe a woman again ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The right person as you describe Lynda, but the gender should be left out of this, they might be either or both, gender having no connection to ability.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Point taken Flecc but I was only thinking that 'maybe' with a woman we might get away from the 'old boy network' a bit, and also women generally are seen to be slightly more compassionate with a bit more common sense and not such a 'macho personality' to keep up or desire to save face as men have.....

And then, of course, we CAN multi task :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
women generally are seen to be slightly more compassionate with a bit more common sense and not such a 'macho personality' to keep up or desire to save face as men have.....

And then, of course, we CAN multi task :D

You can't say that after Margaret Thatcher, Lynda. She was clearly lacking in compassion for anyone other than her two children, e.g. the miners, the Belgrano, the huge numbers she threw out of work on a crazy political notion that utterly failed. And she was also concerned to save face, e.g. the unnecessary Falklands war and her never tolerating other's views which disagreed with hers.

Multi-tasking isn't a benefit without qualification being added. We can all do more than one thing at a time badly, and most I've observed multi-tasking have been guilty of that.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
OH.....but I CAN Flecc, as you well know, my admiration for Margaret Thatcher knows no bounds.

I can also assure you that when I multi task I do all the tasks well.....otherwise I wouldnt even try...... but then , as I said, I AM a woman :D

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
OH.....but I CAN Flecc, as you well know, my admiration for Margaret Thatcher knows no bounds.

I can also assure you that when I multi task I do all the tasks well.....otherwise I wouldnt even try...... but then , as I said, I AM a woman :D

if women are so good at multi-tasking why cant they have a headache and sex at the same time?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
if women are so good at multi-tasking why cant they have a headache and sex at the same time?
I DO.......headache ? what headache ? .....its all a matter of getting your priorities right lol :D :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
There's no such thing as multitasking, just switching between component subtasks.
No, you are wrong, there are lots of instances of when I regularly multitask.
I am sure many women would back me up on this.

One which often happens with me is...

..... cooking supper whilst talking to my mam on the phone, making out a mental shopping list, getting the washing out of the machine, feeding the dogs and dusting the floor with a cloth on my foot at exactly the same time.......its easy :D

I wont go into the more 'complex ones'......this IS a public forum after all :D

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
No, you are wrong, there are lots of instances of when I regularly multitask.
I am sure many women would back me up on this.

One which often happens with me is...

..... cooking supper whilst talking to my mam on the phone, making out a mental shopping list, getting the washing out of the machine, feeding the dogs and dusting the floor with a cloth on my foot at exactly the same time.......its easy :D

I wont go into the more 'complex ones'......this IS a public forum after all :D

Oh yes, maybe your right. Only yesterday I saw a woman driving erratcally in and out of the bus lane, with phone in one hand, cigarette in the other, whilst screaming at the kids in the back for all to hear.

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
And I can walk and chew gum at the same time, drive and plan DIY. Is this multitasking? No, it's doing a bit of one thing while letting another,well practised task carry on by itself until it reaches a moment where my intervention is required. Then, task 1 is left to get on by itself until task 2 reaches a point where it can be left and it's back to task 1. I'd like to see you or anyone do two complex tasks simultaneously like, for instance, rebuilding a gear hub while explaining to their spouse why they forgot the anniversary.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I do love a sense of humour :D

lynda :)