Bosch 2amp charger

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Well I was a little disappointed to find no 3 pin plug supplied with the charger!

So I thought I’d charge it overnight in my shaver socket in the bathroom.

This morning it’s only flashing on the second lowest bar - one more than it was 12 hours ago when I plugged it in?

Any ideas please / what have people done or did you get a 3 pin plug supplied from the off?

I expect I’ll have to get an adapter of some sorts - any recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks

Parky

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Bathroom shaver sockets are deliberately current limited to save you electrocuting yourself if you were to drop your electric shaver into a basin full of water.

You can either cut the plug off and fit a standard UK one with a 3-amp fuse (B&Q), buy a European to UK plug adapter (B&Q or most supermarkets), or take the charger back and ask for one supplied with a UK standard power cord.

Reactions: Parky

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Thanks for the swift reply - I did wonder if it was lower power socket but thought I’d try it anyway!

I’m off out to local electrical store to see what I can find.

If the retailer where I purchased the bike was nearer I’d go back there - it’s annoying they didn’t supply 3 pin plug in the first place - especially when spending so much money on the bike in the first place.......

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've got a feeling that electrical goods sold in this country have to be supplied with a suitable plug, it's a requirement. Bit naughty by the bike shop.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
i dont understand. My charger doesnt have a built in mains lead, the mains cable plugs into the charger and is the same as supplied on other chargers. The same as my Canon Camera charger and aa battery charger for example... Its so popular and interchangable that I have a few in my cable drawer..
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-power-cable-for-charger-uk-520771
If you dont have one i would ring the bike shop and ask them to post one on to you..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22539

i dont understand. My charger doesnt have a built in mains lead, the mains cable plugs into the charger and is the same as supplied on other chargers. The same as my Canon Camera charger and aa battery charger for example... Its so popular and interchangable that I have a few in my cable drawer..
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-power-cable-for-charger-uk-520771
If you dont have one i would ring the bike shop and ask them to post one on to you..
100% agree
theres no way it shouldn't have a suitable uk plug

D

Deleted member 4366

Well I was a little disappointed to find no 3 pin plug supplied with the charger!

So I thought I’d charge it overnight in my shaver socket in the bathroom.

This morning it’s only flashing on the second lowest bar - one more than it was 12 hours ago when I plugged it in?

Any ideas please / what have people done or did you get a 3 pin plug supplied from the off?

I expect I’ll have to get an adapter of some sorts - any recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks

Parky
I seem to remember it being illegal to sell any mains electrical devices in the UK without a UK plug. If you bought the charger in the UK, get the supplier to sort it out.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
Not only is it illegal but it should be a moulded plug, not one you can take apart by unscrewing.

I'm guessing your bike is a Cube, quite a few of their models aren't available for the UK market but bike shops seem happy enough to supply them anyway. Mine also had the light on the wrong side and the brakes attached the wrong way round.

Not only is it illegal but it should be a moulded plug, not one you can take apart by unscrewing.

I'm guessing your bike is a Cube, quite a few of their models aren't available for the UK market but bike shops seem happy enough to supply them anyway. Mine also had the light on the wrong side and the brakes attached the wrong way round.
All the plugs in my house can be taken apart by unscrewing... how else would you replace the fuse?

But yes, its the UK shops job to take the bike from the way it was built, and make it UK spec. In most cases, bikes are built with no idea which country they'll end up in. As our little island likes to be special, the brakes should be swapped.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Everyone knew I thought !!!, moulded plugs all have a pop out fuse for safety as it stops the dunderheads and children from electrocuting them selves.

Reactions: Kinninvie
Everyone knew I thought !!!, moulded plugs all have a pop out fuse for safety as it stops the dunderheads and children from electrocuting them selves.
What is it they say about assumption?

Clearly I've not been looking at my plugs closely enough, because you are of course correct. Its possible to pop the fuse out without unscrewing the plug.

I wonder when was the last time I took a plug apart, or even looked at one before today?

Parky

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2018
Kent
Update :-

Yes it is a Cube EMTB

I have been to B&Q (as suggested initially)
and purchased a euro to UK plug adapter £4:50 (see pic)

I didn’t want to cut the plug off the lead and put 3 pin plug on incase I had to return the euro cable.

I have contacted the supplier and they are sending me a correct cable with UK plug - next day delivery.

Back home and now have battery on charge for another ride out this afternoon.

Thanks for all your replies / suggestions - much appreciated

Attachments

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I bought The Giant Road e+1 it was the 2016 model with the display in KMs and was not changeable to MPH because it wasnt made for the UK market unlike the 2017 models which were. It had to be built up , checked and tested by Ilkley cycles and was suplied to me with a UK plug and the brake levers on the correct side, in fact they opened up the charger box and showed me how and where to plug it in even though they knew that I knew how to do this anyway! Dont assume that however informed your customers apear to be, they actually know what they are doing!
It never occured to me that they would not do this and I can only assume (yep the A word again) that the OP's bike supplier did not check this before letting it go, so I just wonder what else they didnt check...