Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

Albin

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2015
That must be a disappointment. I don't know what else to say. I assume it wasn't experiencing rapid temperature changes or anything like that when indoors.

Mine hasn't popped yet but it doesn't seem uncommon :/. Glue it back?

Albin

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2015
I'll provide an update on my Nyon experience as well since I seem to have missed the last months of activity here.

Since I got it updated it no longer reboots every minute so it doesn't interfere with my riding. I can see my speed and assistance level and what time it is when I glance down.

That's about all I use it for. So it's completely overkill. It's very bulky, I rarely use the GPS, and there is no proper trip data?? To get trip distance I have to reset it, losing the total distance which I kind of want to keep track of? Or I must configure it to reset every day at midnight - what??

Also it has factory reset on me one or two times out of nowhere.

To summarize it works now but I'd change it to an Intuvia if I could.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My sat-nav gets stuck, hasn't a clue where it is. I tried the get you home thing, two hours later it was still thinking about it.

Not very good are they?

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Yep just sitting there and when I picked up the unit the bezel fell off.

Also tried the GPX import which is ok (ish)

Also, I cant change the route type (scenic, fast etc) on a recent destination, in other words if I choose scenic for a destination it will always do that route without prompting or providing a way to change it (not that I can see anyway)

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
My sat-nav gets stuck, hasn't a clue where it is. I tried the get you home thing, two hours later it was still thinking about it.

Not very good are they?
This also happens to me, sometimes when it cant get a fix it takes hours to resolve.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Hey bigclick, mine has just done exactly the same as yours lol. It has been sat on my bookshelf for the last week, I have just gone to it and the Bezel has just broken on the top left hand side. Amazing!!!! I am trying to glue it together now, BUT, I cannot get the two ends to get close enough, so, it must have been a design fault I guess as others have mentioned this in the past.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Anybody successfully glued their bezel? No wonder it snapped, it must have been under a lot of strain as I cannot get the ends close enough to glue it!!!! I could try and glue it off the unit and then refit, but I know that will not work and the glued bit will just give the moment I try to refit.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When this first came out I was desperately wanting to get rid of the intuvia and fit one of these nyon things.. . So glad I couldn't do it. ... the intuvia works a treat, easy to understand, shows all the information I need and it powers My phone/ gopro/fly6 , or anything else that Needs a usb power supply. I can use sat nav on my phone if I want to and it won't go flat cos I can plug it in. And, it works all the time.....

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put it on ebay and upgrade to intuvia ;)

nyon goes for 150-200 quid on ebay tho id not have it for free

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I like the Nyon unit, very keen to see what the new big update is going to be like when it comes out soon. Interestingly, big click mentions above that he has tried the "GPX upload facility" which is coming in the big update, so, big click, have you managed to get the new update then as I tried mine and it said that there are no updates due?

Reactions: Richard T. Jensen

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
That's about all I use it for. So it's completely overkill. It's very bulky, I rarely use the GPS, and there is no proper trip data?? To get trip distance I have to reset it, losing the total distance which I kind of want to keep track of? Or I must configure it to reset every day at midnight - what??
That's strange my Nyon keeps track of the total milage on the Dashboard screen [I reset the trip data before every ride] The total mileage is also shown on the online portal if you bother to upload the data. Bosch still don't allow the ride data to be downloaded in GPX format so no use if you want the ride data for Strava etc.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Anybody successfully glued their bezel? No wonder it snapped, it must have been under a lot of strain as I cannot get the ends close enough to glue it!!!! I could try and glue it off the unit and then refit, but I know that will not work and the glued bit will just give the moment I try to refit.
Mine was replaced under warranty, you should get on to your dealer about it.

Reactions: nashdm2

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a dongle so its all half what the display says, only use it for mph

tho saying that my clock is out by 35mins now lol

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's not about which is best.. it's to do with paying a lot of dosh for something that works and clearly the nyon system doesn't. As a gadget freak it pushes all my buttons and I would be seriously p***ed off if I suffered half what's been complained about on here. The intuvia might only offer basic functionality but it works as it should.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
That's strange my Nyon keeps track of the total milage on the Dashboard screen [I reset the trip data before every ride] The total mileage is also shown on the online portal if you bother to upload the data. Bosch still don't allow the ride data to be downloaded in GPX format so no use if you want the ride data for Strava etc.
Mine gives a different mileage than if I fit the Intuvia. I keep a record of what I do and the Intuvia is the more accurate. The details are kept in the motor so why a few thousand miles different? And it still wont connect with my computer, it's not the best bit of equipment I have but it does look nice.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Mine was replaced under warranty, you should get on to your dealer about it.
Indeed. It's a very common problem and is one that Bosch will replace under warranty. Mine was replaced very early on, but by that time I'd already decided to bin Nyon in favour of Intuvia.

Bigclick and nashdm2, as said by Gigha, get onto your dealer about it.

Reactions: bigclick

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Mine gives a different mileage than if I fit the Intuvia. I keep a record of what I do and the Intuvia is the more accurate. The details are kept in the motor so why a few thousand miles different? And it still wont connect with my computer, it's not the best bit of equipment I have but it does look nice.
I have checked the Nyon mileage figures against a GPS . Both now more or less in agreement after I tweaked the wheel circumference setting on the settings page.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I like the Nyon unit, very keen to see what the new big update is going to be like when it comes out soon. Interestingly, big click mentions above that he has tried the "GPX upload facility" which is coming in the big update, so, big click, have you managed to get the new update then as I tried mine and it said that there are no updates due?
I should have been a little more clear... The process to get a GPX route onto the Nyon is to import it to the portal then sync up the unit from your smartphone.

I cant tell you what Version I am running because I cant find a menu item to tell me on the Nyon (typical)

The Nyon offers alerts if the GPX route cant be followed and offers to give the nearest route (I believe demonstrating its limited map database)