Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hello all,

A few people have had issues with their new Bosch Nyon eBike systems. Bosch have released a huge update today across the whole Nyon platform. This includes the following updates:

Changes to the Nyon software (current version: NYON HMI SW Version Front-End 1.1.4.0):
- Fixed activity synchronization problems
- Improved synchronization time
- Fixed Bluetooth pairing interruptions
- Improved memory handling reduces freezes
- Improved usability

Changes to the Android app eBike Connect (current version 1.2.10):
- Please note that the Terms and Conditions as well as the Privacy Policy in the Android app have been aligned with the current versions on the portal (www.ebike-connect.com).
- Uploaded activities do not get duplicated any more
- App no longer closes after pairing when pushing back button on smartphone
- Upload duration of activities shortened considerably
- App now compatible with Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
- Facebook login bug is now fixed
- Remaining range circle is now scaled correctly
- Saved routes now displayed in chronological order
- Quickly tapping back button no longer freezes menu bar

Changes to the eBike Connect portal (current version 1.1.11):
- The registration date is now displayed correctly
- Improved robustness
- Plausibility check for uploaded activities relaxed
- Multiple translation issues fixed
- Deletion of saved location stabilized
- Various layout and design improvements
- Assistance in UDAMs no longer limited to 225%

How to update?
1) The Bosch eBike Connect Portal will be the updated version as soon as you login on your PC.
2) The Android App can be updated by going to the 'Google Play Store' and click on 'Update'.
3) To update your Nyon unit, connect Nyon to WiFi.
Then navigate to Settings -> My Nyon -> Search for Updates

For all Apple fans, this should be available to download from the Apple App Store on 15th Jan 2015.

Regards
Martin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Fair play to Martin for keeping everyone up to speed, but this is very poor from Bosch.

It's obvious the original Nyon was no more than a bug ridden test bed.

Bosch should have paid customers to find all the problems, not charged them.

It's called product development, Bosch should be doing it, not cynically using customers to get it done for nothing.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
On the German forum they are not very happy with the update. It now crashes even more. What a piece of junk this Nyon and its software is.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I don't need the controller for anything except flicking to turbo on a steep hill and checking battery level.

Even so, I love gadgets and geekware so I'm happy to have all the bells and whistles if they're available.

My main critism is that the left side controller has the mode button sticking out so its easy to change the dashboard view by accident. Slightly harder to do but also doable is changing power setting accidentally. All of these accidental changes are with full gloves on so it might be a bit unfair... Will wait for warmer times and see how we go.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Also why no touch screen control?
Because for touch screen control you have to be looking at the screen. It's the same reason why touch screen controls in cars aren't as useful as button / knob operated. You have to take your eyes off the road for sufficient time to orient your hand and finger relative to the screen, to recognise where you need to press, to move finger to do the pressing and all that with no physical reference for leaning your hand on to give precise relative control. With the knob-based systems you can glance at the screen for just long enough to see what screen it is on then do much of the changing by feel. I have the former in my car and it can be a pain sometimes.

Michael

Reactions: bigclick

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My main critism is that the left side controller has the mode button sticking out so its easy to change the dashboard view by accident. Slightly harder to do but also doable is changing power setting accidentally. All of these accidental changes are with full gloves on so it might be a bit unfair... Will wait for warmer times and see how we go.
I also suffered the same issue as you in relation to knocking the joystick on the handlebar control.
Solution... Ride with SRS, mention it to him, and within seconds he said "well loosen it and move it in a bit" A solution like that was far to simple for me to have come with. Thanks to SRS, I now no longer knock mine. :)

I can't wait to get shot of the whole system altogether, and fit a Bosch Intuvia instead. Once I have looked into how to fit the Intuvia, my whole system will be up for sale. I bought my bike, for the spec and colour not the Nyon system, and don't personally see that it has any place on an e-mtb. It's too big, bulky, ugly and venerable. I shan't miss it. It is the one and only aspect that I hate about the bike.

Last edited:

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I downloaded the iOS ap today. It's just as clunky as the Nyon and the website. Not what you would expect from Bosch.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It seems to me that the much vaunted Bosch system is not actually designed to provide a good motor for cyclists.
It is designed to provide enormous profits for Bosch.
Wow, company sets out to make a profit shock.

I know one or two posters on here just cannot bear the idea of a premium product, but let's at least try to examine the system rationally.

The Bosch motor provides a seamless 'set and forget' ebiking experience, the quality of which is only further demonstrated by the clonky power delivery of other systems.

On t'other hand, the Nyon part of it looks garbage - as I've posted a few times.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Wow, company sets out to make a profit shock.

I know one or two posters on here just cannot bear the idea of a premium product, but let's at least try to examine the system rationally.

The Bosch motor provides a seamless 'set and forget' ebiking experience, the quality of which is only further demonstrated by the clonky power delivery of other systems.

On t'other hand, the Nyon part of it looks garbage - as I've posted a few times.
What you ain't got, don't need no fixin'
(£153 to do what other 'clonky' systems achieve by removing a magnet from a wheel)

ozktm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2015
Hi there ,

I hope someone here can help me , I'm trying to do software update on my nyon display and update to the Australian map but the display keep saying
" insufficient power " and won't let me to do it , I tried to plug a micro USB cable to my computer and it doesn't seems to work !

Can anyone help me please ??

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Plugging in the sub is for power only as far as I can see. Once you have power from the sub you need a wifi network (configure from settings/connections) then you can update from "my Nyon"/ updates

ozktm

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for your reply

Yes , I conected it with wifi and the USB plunged into computer but it keep showing the same error message !

Stressed me out !!

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Have you checked that the Nyon unit is getting power from your USB lead? I think the bottom left of the Nyon unit has battery symbol with a charge indicator or something? Try leaving it on charge for a long while if you know it is charging or, go for a long ride which will charge it.

jcubbin

Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
Hi ozktm,

I know it may sound like a daft question but the computer you have the usb lead plugged into is switched on and being used and not gone in to a sleep state has it.

Also try the rear usb port rather than one of the front ones if it's a desktop computer

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Sounds like an electronically assisted nightmare.
And for what purpose?
Do cyclists really want all this gubbins, or is it a matter of chips being so cheap, builders are desperately looking for some way to use them?
second that, imagine for a moment a nightmare connected world ten years from now when all ones smart appliances, AND ones bicycle AND laptop is subject to software upgrades and typical windows crashes..

ozktm

Feb 3, 2015
The problem with this headunit is it not showing any signs of if it being charge or not , I turned the unit off and plug the cable into it and it turned itself on , so I belived it should have power going through , I double checked with the same USB port on my phone and it works , I am leaving it overnight and see if it fixed the problem , I checked the battery indicator it on the display and it showing kind of full bar on the battery icon , I'm leaving it overnight and hope it will be charged , by the way do you need to have the display charged 100% for updating the software or downloading maps ?