Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Having ridden a number of miles with mine, it is good. The most annoying thing that I cannot find is the ability to always have the map facing up in the direction of my travel. Anybody found it?
I am not near mine but from memory its Settings/Map and Navigation

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
Is it easy to replace a Nyon with the older system - I ask because it seems the Nyon is gradually becoming the default controller.

Also have looked at the manual and it looks even less useful to me now as you really seem to need a smartphone to fully use it, or at least wifi even to get started and just initially register. Is is possible to register and use the initial basic routing or even update firmware without either smartphone or wifi? I thought I would be at least able to use a wired laptop or usb/bluetooth, but my reading of the manual says only direct wifi or smartphone to setup.

There must be a way around it?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
When riding off road, I'm finding that is all to easy to keep knocking the handle bar control, which then switches between either power settings or display settings. I still reckon that Nyon is just a pain in backside gimmick when it comes to off road use. It has no place on an e-mtb.
I'm another who will probably also look into fitting an older style display set up, and just squirrel away the current set up.

Last edited:

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
Martin mentioned a secondary settings menu accessible via a reset button combination on the Intuvia display on his own website. Iis there a similar secondary menu on the Nyon display and how is it accessed?

Richy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Watford
Wouldn't it be better to just mount an iPhone on the bar and make use of all the free apps. Surely the functionality would greater and you could power it off the bike's battery.

Reactions: bigclick

llubi

Just Joined
Oct 29, 2014
Any updates on the Nyon? Today I did 50 kms, Nyon hanged and says just 35KM...

And I really need to load GPX tracks in the Nyon... following tracks in a Fenix is not easy :(

This thing has so many possibilities, but I'm not sure Bosch wants to bring them to us... I really feel bad about a gadget that is not cheap.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I did quite a few miles yesterday also, really enjoyed the ride. My Nyon said I did 40 miles and when I got home and it copied my route to my mac, the Nyon website said I did 30 miles!!! So, does the Nyon get its miles from a GPS system or rotations of the wheel I wonder? I checked the wheel settings in the Nyon and although it was a tad out, it was not 25% out. Also, I have noticed on my last couple of rides, that the map starts to lose detail and it appears that I am travelling through nowhere, when you zoom out and back in, the map detail returns, so, perhaps a little bug there.
I cannot wait to get the iPhone app up and running so that I can see what else it is capable of, even if it is at a premium price? Has anybody with an android got it running yet and can tell us?
I have checked for updates and nothing yet.
Dave

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Hi Eddie, yes, that is what I was referring to above when I mention "wheel settings" Mine was at 2200 and the wheel is actually 2140, so, it was out but not enough to add 25% extra miles on.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
When riding off road, I'm finding that is all to easy to keep knocking the handle bar control, which then switches between either power settings or display settings. I still reckon that Nyon is just a pain in backside gimmick when it comes to off road use. It has no place on an e-mtb.
I'm another who will probably also look into fitting an older style display set up, and just squirrel away the current set up.
I find being able to use my left thumb to "shift" into turbo up a tricky climb (well tricky for me) is a nice feature

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry Dave, I wasn't concentrating on what was clearly written out in front of me.:oops:

BC, I doubt that mine would be the same as your measurements, as I have changed the tyres to 2.3" WTB Vigilante. Mine come out at 2280mm.

Measured with tyres correctly inflated, and the measurement taken by using a length of lock wire, wrapped over the centre bead/tread, then cut and then laid out on the floor to measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigclick

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Its normally set by the manufacturer upon assembly of the cycle. Its a mixture of wheel size and tyre width. You can use the following chart to see yours here, courtesy of Sheldon Brown.

Changing the tyre can affect the mileage reading. But not as much as a 1/3 as described above.

My guess is someone has a secret tuning device fitted! Shhhhh... ;)

Martin

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Hi Martin, thanks for the chart, appreciated. If it is me you are referring to that may have the device fitted, then you are wrong sir as there is no such device fitted on mine and if there was, do you think I would have announced it to all by raising an issue on here about mileage being out!!! However, if it is not me you refer to, then I take all that back.
I was thinking about this the other day on a ride and I know that we are not all the same etc, but, I could not figure out why anybody would need one as the speeds I reach are hardly near the limit that the system gives me currently, so, I would not entertain one at all. But, there are obviously others that see things differently.